IGNORED

Does anyone not like Oblivion?

rxd

Hi all. I've been looking to get another 360 game soon and it seems everyone says good things about Oblivion. My question is this, I'm not an RPG fan at all, would I still like Oblivion? Can everyone like this game yet I still won't? I'm tempted as hell to give this game a shot considering how much everyone seems to like it. Is it the type of game only an RPG fan will love or will someone who really isn't an RPG fan still like it?

I don't like not having Oblivion. :D

I don't like tedious, complicated RPGs, but I liked Morrowind and Oblivion is supposed to be like that, just much better. If the gameplay is similar to Morrowind, you don't have to play a certain way, just like in the GTA games. You can run around just killing things and exploring if that's what you want to do. Game designers and their machines aren't quite advanced enough to make the kind of replayable games that I have been waiting for, but until then, the makers of Oblivion gave us a pretty good dose of freedom in their free-roaming sandbox adventure.

I don't like not having Oblivion. :D

I don't like tedious, complicated RPGs, but I liked Morrowind and Oblivion is supposed to be like that, just much better. If the gameplay is similar to Morrowind, you don't have to play a certain way, just like in the GTA games. You can run around just killing things and exploring if that's what you want to do. Game designers and their machines aren't quite advanced enough to make the kind of replayable games that I have been waiting for, but until then, the makers of Oblivion gave us a pretty good dose of freedom in their free-roaming sandbox adventure.

Your posts always have the coolest links :)

Oblivion = One of the best games I ever played.

You should plan on devoting a good deal of your time to it however, actually you probably just will if you start playing it. It's really not a plan type of thing, you just sit down at around 8pm and start playing and before you know it.... it's two in the morning.

I was never into any RPG of any kind or a fan of the setting really of Oblivion before I played. I have spent more time playing that game than any other game I've played in my life. The openness and the deep character creation adds to it. I love the game, setting, and everything about it. After playing it I'm getting into some RPGs across other systems including KOTOR.

What I like about Oblivion is that it's casual-friendly: you can do as much or as little as you like, and all the quests are in bite-sized chunks, so you don't have to do repetitive power-leveling, or sit for a 2-hour session. The maps and logs are always there to help you find your way or if you forget what you were doing since your last time playing.

If you like the idea of RPGs but are turned off by their weak points, give Oblivion a try. It's still full price, so something like Gamefly might be a good idea.

Another nice feature in Oblivion for the casual or first time RPG player is the difficulty slider. If your playing and get stuck at a point you can always lower the difficulty for that dungeon and when your out of the jam crank it back up to normal. It's a really great feature that more games should incorporate. It's nice for eliminating the frustration factor that can happen in a game.

Another nice feature in Oblivion for the casual or first time RPG player is the difficulty slider. If your playing and get stuck at a point you can always lower the difficulty for that dungeon and when your out of the jam crank it back up to normal. It's a really great feature that more games should incorporate. It's nice for eliminating the frustration factor that can happen in a game.

I didn't know about that. GTA games need one of those too. I'm going to like Oblivion even more than I thought.

I have never played it but I'll tell you what scared me away. From what I've heard this game takes a LOT of time to play. If you don't have several hours to dedicate to it the game might not be for you :) Just what I've heard.

It takes a long time if you want to do all the guild quests and side quests. If you are only interested in the main storyline you can finish the game in around 20 hours of play time which is about average for a game and short for an RPG.

I literally had to stop playing oblivion because it was sucking up too much of my valuable time. :lol:

Just do what I did and do everything there is possible to do in the game so you don't have to play anymore.... Altho that doesn't work because even after 200 hours and zero quests to do, there are still little caverns to explore, and to be honest I wouldn't mind starting over with a different character... I guess you can never really escape the goodness of Oblivion, it's like crack.

I literally had to stop playing oblivion because it was sucking up too much of my valuable time. :lol:

Just do what I did and do everything there is possible to do in the game so you don't have to play anymore.... Altho that doesn't work because even after 200 hours and zero quests to do, there are still little caverns to explore, and to be honest I wouldn't mind starting over with a different character... I guess you can never really escape the goodness of Oblivion, it's like crack.

That's what I've been trying to do. I'm about maybe 70% thru at my best guess. But I'm nowhere near finishing every little dungeon either. But I have been methodically going thru the quests in addition to all the guilds. Being careful not to cross over any guild conflicts.

It reminded me of a prettier, yet crummy WoW, where you couldn't escape one problem that you caused long before that.

I respect your opinion and all...but I've read and reread this sentence like 4 times and I still can't decipher it. You can't escape what problem when?

I do know what you mean about being marked...I think, like if I take something that isn't mine and someone sees me, the whole world knows about it right away. That is kind of unrealistic, but then again, that's why you have to weigh the consequences and not just steal blindly. You know if you're seen doing something naughty the whole world gonna find out!

I don't really like Oblivion. It reminded me of a prettier, yet crummy WoW, where you couldn't escape one problem that you caused long before that. Like how when you kill a Centurian, you are marked, even though there was no one else around to see it.

Actually both Morrowind and Oblivion are quite different from WoW in this regard. I know what you mean about losing faction when killing a centaur even when nobody sees you do it. In Morrowind and Oblivion a dead person can't report a crime. If you kill someone, steal something, commit any crime whatsoever and nobody (living) sees it it is not reported. I have proved this many times such as when I obtained my house in Morrowind or when I got my invitation into the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion. I think that there may be an exception for guild rules. I have killed a member of the mages guild with absolutely nobody around to see it and been banned from the guild before. Other then that I have lured people away to kill them without being caught (always with a reason!) plenty of times.

I have never played it but I'll tell you what scared me away. From what I've heard this game takes a LOT of time to play. If you don't have several hours to dedicate to it the game might not be for you :) Just what I've heard.

It takes a long time if you want to do all the guild quests and side quests. If you are only interested in the main storyline you can finish the game in around 20 hours of play time which is about average for a game and short for an RPG.

Hmmm :ponder: That's really not bad at all..... 20 hours is enough for a casual gamer like me to maybe pick this one up. I like how the difficulty can be lowered in certain areas also. I have been known to put a game or two down if I get stuck too long in one spot :)

ANd don't forget new content showing up on Live. I haven't played this in awhile, mostly because I've been too nervous about the level of commitment I'd have to make to the game, but I'm nearly done anyway.

I wasn't a big RPG fan, but I love Oblivion, mostly because I have, like, 7 houses to decorate :D

It reminded me of a prettier, yet crummy WoW, where you couldn't escape one problem that you caused long before that.

I respect your opinion and all...but I've read and reread this sentence like 4 times and I still can't decipher it. You can't escape what problem when?

I do know what you mean about being marked...I think, like if I take something that isn't mine and someone sees me, the whole world knows about it right away. That is kind of unrealistic, but then again, that's why you have to weigh the consequences and not just steal blindly. You know if you're seen doing something naughty the whole world gonna find out!

Sorry, I am incoherent. I was trying to say that it reminded me of World of Warcraft in the regards of gameplay and such, and that it looked a great deal better than World of Warcraft. I was trying to say that it was however crummier than World of Warcraft in the sense that on WoW if you caused a problem and got away from it, the nature of the game would more or less correct the fault. That is not the case in oblivion, you can't get away from your faults, if you mess something up, it stays messed up until you either fix it or start over.

Another thing I don't really like about the game is the control setup, it reminds me too much of Myst. I don't really like the map system, however the auto travel was nice if you wanted to play lazy.

I never really found a point in eating, and sleeping didn't really serve a purpose, except to lvl up.

I guess if I am going to play a RPG, then I would like it to be a MMORPG so's that I am not constantly bored with the game play of oblivion, or the lack of adventure by way of parties.

Edited by TuzenTCA

Eating? I don't remember having to "eat" in oblivion.

Sleeping is only necessary if you want to "level up". Sometimes it's actually a good idea not to level up. When you reach certain levels the monsters "level up" with you and become harder until you level up a little more.