IGNORED

Got a 2600Jr.

tkarner

My childhood six switcher started getting flaky so picked up a mint 2600 Jr. I always liked the design, it looks good even to this day and I figured since the juniors were newer the odds are that this was a lower mileage unit. Maybe my six switcher was bad longer than I thought but I don't remember it ever having a picture as good as the new junior. Do the juniors have a better picture in general or am I imagining it?

I almost bought one back in the day. In the late 80s I went off to college and left the 2600 at home with my little brother. I was playing more sophisticated PC games at the time (like Space Quest). But I did come to miss playing quick and simple games on a big TV (PC monitors back then were 14"). When I first saw a 2600 Jr, and the "under $50" promotion I nearly bought one. It seemed perfect, slick design, small form factor for the cluttered dorm room. But the pack-in game was Pac Man. After all, it's the software, not the hardware that matters most. I remembered the disappointment of that game from 1981. I wasn't going to relive that trauma once again. If only the junior had a decent pack-in game I would have bought one. Makes you wonder how much better the junior might have sold if Pac Man was good or if there was a 2600 version of the hottest game at the time, Tetris.

I'm not into homebrews. I just play Atari for the nostalgia and I don't feel that with a game I didn't play back then. I own one homebrew, Pac Man Arcade, because I feel that it's a correction for a historical travesty. It's the game I wanted in the 80s. And tonight I will play it on the junior. It's also the reason I asked about Edtris on another thread. Maybe someday I'll get to play a Tetris clone on my new junior like I had wanted to back then.

My childhood six switcher started getting flaky so picked up a mint 2600 Jr. I always liked the design, it looks good even to this day and I figured since the juniors were newer the odds are that this was a lower mileage unit. Maybe my six switcher was bad longer than I thought but I don't remember it ever having a picture as good as the new junior. Do the juniors have a better picture in general or am I imagining it?

I almost bought one back in the day. In the late 80s I went off to college and left the 2600 at home with my little brother. I was playing more sophisticated PC games at the time (like Space Quest). But I did come to miss playing quick and simple games on a big TV (PC monitors back then were 14"). When I first saw a 2600 Jr, and the "under $50" promotion I nearly bought one. It seemed perfect, slick design, small form factor for the cluttered dorm room. But the pack-in game was Pac Man. After all, it's the software, not the hardware that matters most. I remembered the disappointment of that game from 1981. I wasn't going to relive that trauma once again. If only the junior had a decent pack-in game I would have bought one. Makes you wonder how much better the junior might have sold if Pac Man was good or if there was a 2600 version of the hottest game at the time, Tetris.

I'm not into homebrews. I just play Atari for the nostalgia and I don't feel that with a game I didn't play back then. I own one homebrew, Pac Man Arcade, because I feel that it's a correction for a historical travesty. It's the game I wanted in the 80s. And tonight I will play it on the junior. It's also the reason I asked about Edtris on another thread. Maybe someday I'll get to play a Tetris clone on my new junior like I had wanted to back then.

congrats on the junior :cool: , it is my favorite vcs model

I love the jr...the only reason I got rid of mine was that I got a 7800 and didn't really feel the need to have TWO systems that play 2600 games!

Three huge advantages:

- It's easy to connect a Y splitter to a joystick port; the ones you can get in stores these days (or online) just won't stay in the port on a sixer...

- the external composite port, meaning you can use just about any RCA cable you want...

- the small footprint...REALLY nice! Makes post-game cleanup very easy!

My only gripe:

- The 2600jr doesn't give you that well-known "click" when the game is inserted properly; you just have to stop pushing down!

I have 2 Jr's one of each Long and Short Rainbows I do like the smaller design for space reasons but as others said the switches do leave a lot to be desired I currently use my 7800 and 1 of my Heavy sixers for regular use.

use one of the jr's when I want Atari in living room and there space is very limited and the jr is perfect to hookup for a quick fix

Awesome!another SPACE QUEST fan!SQ must be the funnest pc game from SIERRA ever!! 2600jr,a great little machine!,takes up ALOT less space also!

I have 2 Jr's one of each Long and Short Rainbows I do like the smaller design for space reasons but as others said the switches do leave a lot to be desired I currently use my 7800 and 1 of my Heavy sixers for regular use.

use one of the jr's when I want Atari in living room and there space is very limited and the jr is perfect to hookup for a quick fix

Is there an internal difference between the long and short rainbow models or is it just cosmetic?

Got the "black" junior this week: with the short and long rainbow I now have all the 3 variations. :)

th_Immagine4.jpg

I love the junior because it was the system I had in my childhood (I received it when I was 6 years old), but I like the older models as well. The metal switches have a better feeling than the cheap ones of the junior, but they are rarely used during gameplay so I can't notice any substantial difference in using a model instead of the other.

Edited by alex_79