IGNORED

Offtopic--but hey, its an Atari PC-1!

charliecron

• 7 years later...

Resurrecting this ancient thread for two reasons; first, because I have a PC-1 and I'm interested in the original conversation that took place and would like to collect more information from the community, second, while searching the Internet for more information I came across this wonderful (and recent) blog post by JoJo in Spain where he was able to add ISA slots to his PC-1 and subsequently add an XT-IDE and SoundBlaster Pro to his machine and I want to share that information with the community. And hey, it IS an Atari 8-Bit Computer after all.

Here is the link to JoJo's blog.

• Like 1

The external hard drive has an ISA interface in it as well. I have one.. Curt Vendel let me borrow a prototype hard disk interface for it, I was never able to get it reproduced though. I did kind of probe the card, so I know what pin to attach to what pin.. I have it written down somewhere, I can scan it if someone wants it.

I don't know what kind of drive is in the enclosure, I figured it'd be some kind of old MFM drive? The bus on the motherboard is an ISA bus.. this "hard drive interface" is more of a bridge from what I understand. The components on the board, I have been told, are "chokes" of some sort, though they are not labeled. Supposed to "smooth out" the signals.. I found my notes.. I've attached. I didn't know how to notate this stuff, just did what I could.

I found the scan I did of the hard drive interface.. I can post the notes I did when I get home. Man if someone can reproduce this card people with PC-1's would be in businesss..

My PC-1 has this same Atari HDD interface in it but unfortunately I do not have the external PCH204 HD unit.

I'm in the process of ordering parts to duplicate the ISA slot add-on that JoJo documented in his blog. If I can get that far then I'll try to add an XT-IDE card to add a IDE-CF card interface. Also, still looking for an Atari keyboard & mouse for my system.

Kogden: Like Charlie said, Its more of a filter card or something. It takes the pins from J2 and J8 on the mother board and runs them through some filter caps then presents a 50pin header that would then be connected via a ribbon cable to the external PCH204 drive.

I'm in the process of mapping the pins on J2 and J8 to the 8 bit ISA or XT ISA connector pins and I think I have them all with the exception of one.

I cant figure out where A1 of the ISA slot, which is "I/O CH CHK", should be mapped to.

The only pin I haven't accounted for on the PC-1 mother board is J2-1 so I assume that's it but does anyone know for sure.

The drawing that JoJo posted HERE from Curt's schematics doesn't show where J2-1 ends up.

For anyone interested I've found that B8 of the ISA slot is "NC" on the XT or 8-bit bus and not "-0 Wait" as it is on the AT and newer bus layout.

Also, B19 is "DACK0" on the XT bus and was later changed to be "-REFRESH" on the AT and newer bus layout.

It's a cool system. Thanks to everyone for the pictures and information.

Actually this thread brings a question to my mind; why is there no section for Atari's IBM compatible machines on AtariAge's forums? Granted they weren't popular, so it would be rather inactive. But it would be nice to have a single place for information and discussions about the desktops, laptop, and Portfolio. They're unique and interesting machines. I think a forum section for them would encourage more discussions and add to the richness of the site in general.

• 2 months later...

Made some progress on my PC1 upgrades....

Before

PC1 CPU, DMA, RTC Upgrade Before

De-soldered the DMA controller, the CPU, and the Oscillators.

PC1 CPU, DMA, RTC Upgrade During #2

Installed sockets plus;
a new CMOS DMA controller that is PIN compatible with the original but capable of running up to 15mHz,

a V20 CPU also capable of running at up to 15mHz,

a ceramic packaged 8087 Co-Processor rated for 10mHz without a heat sink for now.

Edit: Also added a Dallas SmartWatch RTC under the BIOS ROM...

PC1 CPU, DMA, RTC Upgrade After

One of the next steps will be to replace the 24mHz "turbo" mode oscillator with a 32mHz part for overclocking "turbo" mode from 8mHz to 10.66mHz.
Edited by Bumzyman
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 3/8/2007 at 1:05 AM, Curt Vendel said:

Well, the PC-1's are all up here in the office, all over the place as I go through them all. I'll have photo's probably later tonight with details and so forth. I wanted a little extra time as something I've wanted to do for several years now is scope out all of the lines on those 2 rows of headers - J2 and J8 which are actually ISA bus pinouts.

Well I've got an preliminary pinout completed. Most of the lines marked N/C I'm still scoping out for IRQs, additional Address lines and several other functions, but there is enough here some most basic 8Bit cards to function on IRQ 5 so far....

Curt

post-23-1173312322_thumb.png

Any news on this???

I try to create a XT-Adapter, too: https://github.com/jedie/Atari-PC1-XT-Adapter

12 minutes ago, jedie said:

Any news on this???

I try to create a XT-Adapter, too: https://github.com/jedie/Atari-PC1-XT-Adapter

sadly our friend and Atari curator Curt Vendel is only here in spirit, I have been reluctant to contact anyone about anything Atari we were working on as he was the center of the family and a great deal of time will be needed for all the stages of grieving be.  At some point I'd expect an individual or group will come forward and allow all the varied projects to be completed, information disseminated, or items sent to whoever was doing whatever with Curt... I'd hate to see it all auctioned or sold off... but at the same time, I'd want the family well taken care of. It can be hard to wrap your head around all of this still... After such a long road he was finally doing so d*mn well and then gone just like that.

Edited by _The Doctor__