IGNORED

New Wii console announced with DVD playback capability

8th lutz

"Based on the same technology trusted by Hollywood studios, CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator is a robust, software-based DVD playback engine that delivers broad playback compatibility on a variety of platforms."

this leads me to believe it could just be a channel... just software..

I believe it to only be a software solution as well. However, what doesn't make sense..is why Nintendo states this will be incorporated into a later version of the Wii in the later half of 2007?

Unless that was just an estimate of when the channel will become available and perhaps be included in the new Wii units shipping at that time. But wasn't there also mention that the new verson Wii would also have a higher price? Where does that come into play if it is only software. Does that mean that Nintendo will just automatically install that channel and the higher cost of the Wii is to compensate for that channel's price?

If that were the case, they need to just leave the channel or software as an update that you have the option to buy and install and not force it onto the consumer who may or may not need it.

playing DVD's is actually one of the least strenious things you can do to a DVD player. It's single speed, streight forward reading.

Single speed and straight forward? I don't think so. DVDs are recorded using Constant Linear Velocity, meaning that the drive has to speed up toward the center of the disc, and slow down toward the edge. This can put quite a bit of wear and tear on the drive's motors.

Playing games on the other hand is quiet hard by comparrison.

If we're talking about the PS2 or XBox[360], then yes. All that seeking does do horrible things to the motor. But the Wii/Gamecube discs are recorded using Constant Angular Velocity, meaning that only the head needs to move. No change in the speed of rotation is necessary. That's why the the Wii doesn't sound like a bloody wind tunnel when it reads from the discs.

If DVD playback were added, it would put significant strain on the drive that didn't exist before.

The second part might be true (for some games) But the first part, you are 100% talking out of your ass. No DVD player (with the exception of multispeed PC players) has EVER changed speed during playback. They are constant 15x(compared to CD speed)

Was reading a similar thread on another forum dicussing Wii playback capabilities and someone there said:

........The Wii does not have a DVD drive in it. It has an optical drive that reads similar to and has a similar storage capacity as DVDs but isn't in fact a DVD drive or player. That is why the WiiDVD, if it ever comes to be, will be a HARDWARE UPGRADE........

Some people swear up and down that the Wii needs a hardware upgrade and some swear up and down only a firmware upgrade is needed. Do we have to wait for Nintendo to solve this dilema?

Mendon

The second part might be true (for some games) But the first part, you are 100% talking out of your ass. No DVD player (with the exception of multispeed PC players) has EVER changed speed during playback. They are constant 15x(compared to CD speed)

Will you please explain exactly how many RPM 15x is? :roll:

And just for that "Talking out of your ass comment", I'm going to be horrendously insulting by pointing you to "How Stuff Works":

A drive motor to spin the disc - The drive motor is precisely controlled to rotate between 200 and 500 rpm, depending on which track is being read.

As the DVD is played, the tracking system has to move the laser continually outward. As the laser moves outward from the center of the disc, the bumps move past the laser at an increasing speed. This happens because the linear, or tangential, speed of the bumps is equal to the radius times the speed at which the disc is revolving. So, as the laser moves outward, the spindle motor must slow the spinning of the DVD so that the bumps travel past the laser at a constant speed, and the data comes off the disc at a constant rate.

You were saying? dry.gif

Was reading a similar thread on another forum dicussing Wii playback capabilities and someone there said:

........The Wii does not have a DVD drive in it. It has an optical drive that reads similar to and has a similar storage capacity as DVDs but isn't in fact a DVD drive or player. That is why the WiiDVD, if it ever comes to be, will be a HARDWARE UPGRADE........

Ask yourself this then. Why are all the pirates burning their warez onto DVD's? :ponder:

Ask yourself this then. Why are all the pirates burning their warez onto DVD's? :ponder:

All seriousness, CPU..... are Wii games already being pirated?

Mendon

Yup, and quite a few modchips out already.

Here's one:

modchiip

And games have been floatiing around torrents for a month or so.

hey btw, if you hear anything about a chip that can play import wii games make a post star scream, .. i really dont want to wait till june to play gundam haha.. not many import cube games worth picking up, so i wouldnt spend50 on this chip. its no ps2 where there were loads of anime games made for it that we never got.

thanks for the link.. i wonder how they fit that chip in the box.. seems like its insides woudl already be a bit tight.

Here's one:

modchiip

hey btw, if you hear anything about a chip that can play import wii games make a post star scream, .. i really dont want to wait till june to play gundam haha.. not many import cube games worth picking up, so i wouldnt spend50 on this chip. its no ps2 where there were loads of anime games made for it that we never got.

thanks for the link.. i wonder how they fit that chip in the box.. seems like its insides woudl already be a bit tight.

wiikey

Here's one:

modchiip

wiikey

hey so wait.. it does imports ? so i can finally play japanese wii games on my american system???? WOOT. i like the dvd upgradablity option. is there soldering required and if so how much? also.. any price on this? i dont see a buy option on thier site...

Edited by AtariJr

Here's one:

modchiip

wiikey

hey so wait.. it does imports ? so i can finally play japanese wii games on my american system???? WOOT. i like the dvd upgradablity option. is there soldering required and if so how much? also.. any price on this? i dont see a buy option on thier site...

None of the current chips do imports, they are all 100% piracy only. The fact that the Wii was hacked (for piracy) in a month, probably contributed a lot to console sales.

EDIT: I'll take that back, the WiiKey has limited import support.

I think (early) nobody needs another DVD player.

And DVD without dolby digital out is a nono anyway

If advertised as a DVD player, you are right, it needs dolby digital out. However, software solutions, such as DVD playback software on the PC, aren't held to that requirement. Therefore, if the drive in the Wii could allow a DVD, a software patch should be ok.

With that said, who in the heck actually needs this? I mean, back when the PS2/Xbox came out, not everyone had a DVD player in every room. I know a lot of people who did care that they played DVDs because it gave them an extra player in the den/bedroom/etc. Nowadays, it's a complete non-issue. You can pick up a player for $40 anywhere.