IGNORED

I am updating the Video Life registry.

homerwannabee

if i was a betting man, i would bet that atariager don't have his anymore. i would also bet Joe still has one. that would total 20 counting the other 2 people :)

Rick

And if I was a betting man I would bet there is more than 20 our there. :P

Edit:though it could be possible that the Dr. Gaines was reffering 20 Video Life's being sold, with three extra being shared among the programmers. Which would make 23 total Video Life's.

Edited by homerwannabee

if i was a betting man, i would bet that atariager don't have his anymore. i would also bet Joe still has one. that would total 20 counting the other 2 people :)

Rick

Edit:though it could be possible that the Dr. Gaines was reffering 20 Video Life's being sold, with three extra being shared among the programmers. Which would make 23 total Video Life's.

Well, when I get the final word on this from Dr. Gaines, I'll let you know... ;)

What else needs to be done to make this list accurate:

1. Contact everyone else on the list and confirm that they still have their copy. (I have a feeling one or more copies are being counted twice.)

2. From now on, have people post in this thread if a copy is sold.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

Yep, just like the 150 Atlantis II carts you don't want to believe exist. :P

Whether it be 25 or 150(more like 25 IMO) it doesn't matter because they are still pretty darn rare. Also, you do know that I do own the manual to Video Life. :P

Rick

Well, when I get the final word on this from Dr. Gaines, I'll let you know... ;)

1. Contact everyone else on the list and confirm that they still have their copy. (I have a feeling one or more copies are being counted twice.)

True, I admit there may be a couple of repeats. Some people for whatever reason don't like to talk about how they sold a Video Life cartridge. There are two that are suspicous in my book. The one Atariager has and the unkown member which could very well be a member on the list. Also, did anyone read my edit. I said it is possible there are 23 out there because the programmer was not including personal copies he and the other programmers had for whatever reason. Also, I agree that it is a good idea if people post that they sold their copies. There have been people who have done just that and posted. While I prefer that I do know that, some people are secretive for whatever reason and I guess there is not much I can do about that. Also I do read Atariage pretty often, and if someone even hints at selling theirs or geting a copy I will PM them. As one of the things I admit is that there are some holes in this list, it is not perfect. But one thing is for sure. I have done a lot of improvement to list from where it was originally at. Not updated for over 2 years.

Edited by homerwannabee

• 2 months later...
I think I have Sean's. It's the cart and manual. Picked it up at CGE this year in the mystery box.

Actually, I may have been John's...

I had you down as Siamese Nightmare for some reason. Goes to show how good my memory is. I talked to John after the auction and he said it came from Sean.

Edited by homerwannabee

Yep, just like the 150 Atlantis II carts you don't want to believe exist. :P

Whether it be 25 or 150(more like 25 IMO) it doesn't matter because they are still pretty darn rare. Also, you do know that I do own the manual to Video Life. :P

Rick

True, I admit there may be a couple of repeats. Some people for whatever reason don't like to talk about how they sold a Video Life cartridge. There are two that are suspicous in my book. The one Atariager has and the unkown member which could very well be a member on the list. Also, did anyone read my edit. I said it is possible there are 23 out there because the programmer was not including personal copies he and the other programmers had for whatever reason. Also, I agree that it is a good idea if people post that they sold their copies. There have been people who have done just that and posted. While I prefer that I do know that, some people are secretive for whatever reason and I guess there is not much I can do about that. Also I do read Atariage pretty often, and if someone even hints at selling theirs or geting a copy I will PM them. As one of the things I admit is that there are some holes in this list, it is not perfect. But one thing is for sure. I have done a lot of improvement to list from where it was originally at. Not updated for over 2 years.

I was there when he won from the mystery box auction. You should have seen his reaction when he discovered it being Video Life. You should have seen Homerwannabee's face, I was next to him when this all came down. I must admit it was a fun auction. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well looks like it's been almost a year and a half since one changed hands. Very tuff one to get!

1. Marco: CIB

2. Rick Weiss: CIB (Got his from William Summerweck)

3. Rolenta: cart, instructions (Got his from Video Take-Out)

4. Ianoid: cart

5. Crunchysuperman: CIB (Got his from Wberdan)

6. Waggie: cart, instructions

7. Cassidy: CIB (Got his from bfstats); and bfstats got his from the company

8. CPUWIZ: CIB

9. cyro: cart

10. Generalhellfire: cart, instructions

11. Wonder007: CIB (Got his from Sly)

12. John Hardy (cx2k): CIB (Got his from the company)

13. DeusExMachina: cart, manual (Got his in the mid 90's from rec.games.video.classic, and got his manual from gospeedde)

14. Joe:CIB (Got his from the company); May of sold his though

15. Atariager: cart, instructions (not too sure he still has his or if he sold his to someone already listed)

16. gospeedde: cart, (Got theirs from riffraff: cart, )

17. Unknown Atariage member: Cart, Manual (Got his from 64squares who got his from Steve Landsmarra who got his from Rick Weiss who go his from one of the CGE guys)

18. Unknown buyer: cart, instructions (Got theirs from System Freak who got his from Sean Kelly)

19. Dr. Irwin Gaines:CIB (One of the founders of Commavid)

20. Anonymous : CIB

xx. DreamTR: instructions (Got from myself of which I got mine from John Hardy); Does not have cart or box.http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103162&st=0#

Complete Edit

As you can see this list still has some holes in it, if you have any info to make the list more complete this would be much appreciated.

Well looks like it's been almost a year and a half since one changed hands. Very tuff one to get!

13. DeusExMachina: cart, manual (Got his in the mid 90's from rec.games.video.classic, and got his manual from gospeedde)

15. Atariager: cart, instructions (not too sure he still has his or if he sold his to someone already listed)

17. Unknown Atariage member: Cart, Manual (Got his from 64squares who got his from Steve Landsmarra who got his from Rick Weiss who go his from one of the CGE guys)

18. Unknown buyer: cart, instructions (Got theirs from System Freak who got his from Sean Kelly)

xx. DreamTR: instructions (Got from myself of which I got mine from John Hardy); Does not have cart or box.http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103162&st=0#

Complete Edit

As you can see this list still has some holes in it, if you have any info to make the list more complete this would be much appreciated.

That's why its the most rare Atari official release. Its interesting that no new Magicards have shown up for as long as i can remember either. I wonder which of the two has the most number of confirmed copies :ponder:

Complete Edit

That's why its the most rare Atari official release. Its interesting that no new Magicards have shown up for as long as i can remember either. I wonder which of the two has the most number of confirmed copies :ponder:

Nope it's rare but at the moment, not the rarest. Birthday Mania, Monogrammed Spacechase, GammaAttack, Ultravision NTSC Karate, NTSC Mangia, Gauntlet, and Eli's Ladder are all rarer at the moment. :)

Edited by homerwannabee

Nope it's rare but at the moment, not the rarest. Birthday Mania, Monogrammed Spacechase, GammaAttack, Ultravision NTSC Karate, NTSC Mangia, Gauntlet, and Eli's Ladder are all rarer at the moment. :)

I don't consider any of those "official releases" except Eli's ladder. I bet the others were dealer copies or they are "homebrew" releases (birthday mania and Gamma). And as CPUWIZ stated, there's probably more Elis out there than VL.

I don't consider any of those "official releases" except Eli's ladder. I bet the others were dealer copies or they are "homebrew" releases (birthday mania and Gamma). And as CPUWIZ stated, there's probably more Elis out there than VL.

I thought there are a few CIB NTSC Mangia games found with 'N' stickers on the box?

I thought there are a few CIB NTSC Mangia games found with 'N' stickers on the box?

Yes, I bet they were the copies sent to dealers. Like this one ;)

post-7232-1249358149_thumb.jpg

If it was one game, then I get what your saying but there are quite a few games that are rarer than Video Life. You can argue that GammaAttack was an official release. It was actually advertised in a gaming news publication. Video Life itself is not really an official release. You had to get it by getting Magic Card first. So Video Life itself is on thin ground as well. Birthday Mania is not a homebrew, Neither is GammaAttack, neither is Karate. There is to much evidence against what you are saying. Guantlet was official as well, and it's definitely rarer than Video Life. Again it would be one thing if it was just one game, but you really have to go out of your way to say Video Life is the rarest at 20 copies known to exist.

Edited by homerwannabee

If it was one game, then I get what your saying but there are quite a few games that are rarer than Video Life. You can argue that GammaAttack was an official release. It was actually advertised in a gaming news publication. Video Life itself is not really an official release. You had to get it by getting Magic Card first. So Video Life itself is on thin ground as well. Birthday Mania is not a homebrew, Neither is GammaAttack, neither is Karate. There is to much evidence against what you are saying. Guantlet was official as well, and it's definitely rarer than Video Life. Again it would be one thing if it was just one game, but you really have to go out of your way to say Video Life is the rarest at 20 copies known to exist.

Apart from birthday mania and gamma attack, I don't get the feeling that the others were "officially" released. The copies that have surfaced are most likely dealer copies (i'm sure this is the case with Karate) Same with the copies of Asterix that surfaced in the US. Gamma Attack was from a single person operation much like Cubicolor and Rob, so that's why I classified it as a "homebrew". Birthday mania can probably fall into that category too. VL was officially released, albeit you had to buy Magicard first.

Apart from birthday mania and gamma attack, I don't get the feeling that the others were "officially" released. The copies that have surfaced are most likely dealer copies (i'm sure this is the case with Karate) Same with the copies of Asterix that surfaced in the US. Gamma Attack was from a single person operation much like Cubicolor and Rob, so that's why I classified it as a "homebrew". Birthday mania can probably fall into that category too. VL was officially released, albeit you had to buy Magicard first.

Let's be honest you have to really, really, really play around with words in order to get Video Life as the rarest NTSC game. You really do have to go out of your way to call Video Life the rarest lets look at what I mean

Rule 1. Games that are made by only one person are now called homebrews. Let's ignore the fact that most people regard 1990 as the first homebrew, and the fact the homebrews are usually thought as a game made after the system is completely dead or dying.

So you apply this to Gamma Attack, and Birthday Mania (No actual proof that this was made by one person, mind you.)

Rule 2. If released by a company bigger than a one man operation yet still smaller than 5 we will call them dealer copies. Huh? There is no proof whatsoever that Karate by Ultravision is a dealer copy. The game itself does not even say this. You also apply this to Gauntlet. But sure whatever will call it a dealer copy because its smaller than Video Life.

Rule 3. If made by a company, and the number of carts in known hands is smaller than those known for Video Life we say that it's a good bet that there are more games than Video Life. This is the case with Eli's Ladder. I don't think there are more than 15 of these games known to exist. Sure I guess you could make the argument that all the Video Lifes have been magically found and with time Eli's Ladder will be more common. Sure whatever.

Rule 4. If the game is a hack we disqualify it as rarest game as well. I.E. Air Raid.

Rule 5. You didn't say it but at the moment NTSC BMX Airmaster, and the Xante carts are rarer than Video Life. I guess this one would be the "If the game was previously made it doesn't count as well.

So yeah, if you institute a ton of rules, and then apply these rules to games you have no evidence of being the case, than yeah Video Life is the rarest. This despite the fact that Video Life itself had to be bought through mail order. Thereby making it a game not released in stores, and thereby technically not making it commercially released

Oh, and I almost forget. Video Life technically is not even a game. So you could technically disqualify Video Life from the list as well.

Edited by homerwannabee

Rule 1. Games that are made by only one person are now called homebrews. Let's ignore the fact that most people regard 1990 as the first homebrew, and the fact the homebrews are usually thought as a game made after the system is completely dead or dying.

So you apply this to Gamma Attack, and Birthday Mania (No actual proof that this was made by one person, mind you.)

This does not make sense. Almost all 2600 games were made by one person. The reason some titles of the old era are considered hombrews by some (Birthday Mania, Red Sea Crossing, ect...) is because their authors single handedly reverse engineered the 2600 (and 2600 games), built their own development stations, and so on.

homebrews are usually thought as a game made after the system is completely dead or dying.

Not true. For example, there is Nintendo DS and Wii homebrew while the systems are still thriving.

• 3 weeks later...
Video Life itself is not really an official release. You had to get it by getting Magic Card first. So Video Life itself is on thin ground as well... Again it would be one thing if it was just one game, but you really have to go out of your way to say Video Life is the rarest at 20 copies known to exist.

Couple of things to clarify here. I had written to CommaVid in 1983 asking if MagiCard was still available. The response was a one-sentence typed letter that said, essentially, "No, and we're not making any more and we don't know where you can get any of those that have already been made". So I gave up.

A YEAR LATER, I received in the mail a package containing all the flyers, notices, and order blanks pertaining to ALL of CommaVid's products including Rush Hour and Mission Omega ("not available").

post-118-12512297163_thumb.jpg

I used the order blank to obtain Video Life, Cakewalk, and Stronghold, plus wrote a separate note asking for the new release of MagiCard (the original release had the company name "Computer Magic" on the label). All were shipped promptly and in perfect condition. Apparently, CommaVid had a mailing list which they had added my name to just beacuse I had written to them a year earlier, but I had not previously acquired MagiCard, so that was not a prerequisite for obtaining Video Life. In simple terms, I got lucky.

The point is, at that time and with the exception of MagiCard, CommaVid was treating all its products the same because they were all orderable on the same order blank. I doubt they cared whether their titles were considered games or not.

Also, at exactly the same time, a friend and co-worker ordered MagiCard and Video Life as well, and he received both. However, in the process of three moves and a flooded basement, he has lost many items from his video game collection. What he has left are the MagiCard cartridge and the Video Life box and manual ONLY. He honestly does not know if what he's missing was trashed or stolen. Is it likely the "Video Life Registry" contains his missing cart? In my opinion, no. If it doesn't, then there's another Video Life out there, perhaps decomposing in a landfill. Or, since many of the "friends" that helped with his three moves were knowledgable about video game rarity, one of them could have made off with it, sold it, and it may indeed be on this list. Who's to say?

It would be interesting to trace (if possible) the origins of those Video Life carts in this list that do not have accompanying boxes and manuals.

• 1 month later...

OK, an update to the list

2. Rick Weis: CIB (Got his from William Summerweck)

17. Unknown Atariage member: Cart, Manual (Got his from 64squares who got his from Steve Landsmarra who got his from Rick Weis who go his from one of the CGE guys)

20a. Wonder007: CIB (Got his second one from someone on the list of 20.)

xx. DreamTR: instructions (Got from myself of which I got mine from John Hardy)

Edited by homerwannabee

• 10 months later...

Since I have received several inquiries about purchases and trades for my Video Life, it looks like this needs to be updated.

I still have #13 with instructions. I have had several offers on this one so if interested, let me know. I may post pictures in a separate thread.

I also have #20/20a CIB, purchased from Wonder007 awhile back. (NOT AVAILABLE FOR CASH/TRADE/FIRST BORN/ETC)

I also have an extra set of DOCS...first dibs go to gospeedde if desired.