IGNORED

NES High Score Club 2nd Season Week #1 - Super Mario Bros. 3

vdub_bobby

New season, and back (kinda) to the NES' roots: it's time for Super Mario Bros. 3!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it.

Note: Only scores achieved by playing a new game, from the beginning, will count - no continues!

Special notes: No leeching and don't play the same levels over and over (this is possible by warping backwards).

This week's competition ends next Tuesday (March 13) morning at approximately 8:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

1,406,080 vdub_bobby (+10 pts +1 for best (only) tip)

1,126,550 rjchamp3 (+8 pts)

914,160 LarcenTyler (+6 pts)

614,210 MetalSlime23 (+4 pts)

426,230 bust3dstr8 (+2 pts)

400,230 8th lutz (+1 pt)

256,940 Cybergoth (+1 pt)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

692,740 Jon Taber

501,050 Andrew J Gardikis

407,410 Chris Baker

Overall standings:

Blank slate! I've posted last season's standings elsewhere.

Game Info

Developed by Nintendo in 1988.

Other platforms: GBA

Sequels/spinoffs: Endless, really. A few high points: Donkey Kong (Arcade, 1981, many home platforms). Mario Bros. (Arcade, 1983 and many home platforms). Super Mario Bros. (NES, 1985). Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES, 1988). Super Mario Land (Gameboy, 1989), Super Mario World (SNES, 1990), Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996). Etc., etc., etc.

Tips

Me:

Here's a tip if you plan to beat the game: take your picture *before* going in that door after you kill King Koopa; after you enter that door it never shows your score again.

Some gameplay tips:

-To get a star card at the end of a level, be running full speed and hit the card-thing with Mario's fat belly. Get three star cards and get 5 extra lives. Also, if you have plenty of extra guys, try to get a bunch of enemies on screen when you hit the card thingie, the enemies are worth a *ton* of points: 1000 for the first, 2000 for the 2nd, 4000 for the 3rd, 8000 for the 4th, 16000 for the 5th, and an extra guy for every enemy after that.

-A lot of the levels are pretty short, so if you are having trouble with a level, you might try flying immediately and going as far as you can. For a lot of the levels you can get past over half the level that way.

-Use stars before entering hammer brother levels to beat them easily

Edited by vdub_bobby

I haven't played in years, yet I made it to World 6 in just one playthrough. I'm truly impressed with this feat. Of course you know I'm going to try to reenact it, only next time I'll make it to World 7 (and no I didn't warp!)

post-1653-1173215599_thumb.png

Edited by LarcenTyler

Well, finally had a night free to play this. Didn't realize it would take 4 stinkin' hours to beat the game, but oh well: 1,406,080

post-6060-1173644757_thumb.jpg

Here's a tip if you plan to beat the game: take your picture *before* going in that door after you kill King Koopa; after you enter that door it never shows your score again. :ponder:

I tried to beat every level, to maximize points, but I ran out of gas in world 6 and started skipping some levels. And then in level 8 I got really lazy and used a bunch of P-Wings to beat a bunch of the levels. :ponder:

Some gameplay tips:

-To get a star card at the end of a level, be running full speed and hit the card-thing with Mario's fat belly. Get three star cards and get 5 extra lives. Also, if you have plenty of extra guys, try to get a bunch of enemies on screen when you hit the card thingie, the enemies are worth a *ton* of points: 1000 for the first, 2000 for the 2nd, 4000 for the 3rd, 8000 for the 4th, 16000 for the 5th, and an extra guy for every enemy after that.

-A lot of the levels are pretty short, so if you are having trouble with a level, you might try flying immediately and going as far as you can. For a lot of the levels you can get past over half the level that way.

-Use stars before entering hammer brother levels to beat them easily

I tried to beat every level, to maximize points, but I ran out of gas in world 6 and started skipping some levels. And then in level 8 I got really lazy and used a bunch of P-Wings to beat a bunch of the levels. :ponder:

Therefore you should be disqualified and I should get my rightful first place position! :x

(If not, I'll settle for tied for first.)

Therefore you should be disqualified and I should get my rightful first place position! :x

:P

The scores at TG are really weak; I was kinda surprised.

I was too, until I realized that you can only use five lives total, meaning you can only die five times. Still, if you're good at the game, you really shouldn't have any trouble beating every level with just five lives.

:P

I have to agree there and I guess I will take a loss to start the season no big deal. :cool:

Nice score man

I was too, until I realized that you can only use five lives total, meaning you can only die five times. Still, if you're good at the game, you really shouldn't have any trouble beating every level with just five lives.

Ahhh. That makes sense. Well, my game certainly wouldn't have qualified...:ponder: I had so many extra guys that I got extremely sloppy near the end. An odd rule, though I suppose it prevents some leeching.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm way late and this doesn't count, but I fired up Mario 3 for the first time in months and proceeded to conquer it as I usually do. :D It's probably my favorite videogame of all time. I used no continues or cheats and only died 10-15 times. (No leaching here... :cool:) Here's how I did. :)

post-2908-1175302471_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevincal

Thanks. :D It's actually really not a grind for me except maybe 1 or 2 stages where I use a cloud. I've beaten this game without warping so many times and really it never gets old! This game just rocks...:) I think someday I might try to see how high of a score I can get by leaching and warping backwards...Should be interesting! It'll take forever though... :/

Edited by kevincal