IGNORED

French 2600jr. with scart connector

alex_79

I found some info about a 2600 jr. with scart a/v output instead the rf one. It's a "short rainbow" made in Ireland and sold only in France probably for a limited period.

Here there's a page with some pictures of the unit.

The board is a rev. B (I have a PAL junior made in Ireland, and it has the same revision board) , the rf modulator is unpopulated and there aren't the channel select switch and the rca connector for the rf cable. The scart cable is soldered directly on the board where the rf modulator should be and it pass through the hole left by the rca socket on the case. On the bottom of the board there's a wire soldered to one of the power switch pins which goes under the metal shielding. Instead of the RGB signal provided by the French 7800, this unit outputs a PAL video-composite.

Here there are some links to other pages (in French) referring to the scart(peritel) junior:

http://mo5.com/musee/fiche.php?id=2600jr

http://www.silicium.org/console/atarax/ata2600jr.htm

http://www.silicium.org/forum/viewtopic.ph...38c29f5738fe923

http://musepat.club.fr/j_ata.htm

Do any of french AA members have some more info about this? I can hardly read French and I had much difficulty to find those pages. I think it would be interesting to see detailed pictures of the board without the metal shielding because of the lack of PAL a/v mod schematics. :)

Edited by alex_79

They make it look so easy! It looks as if there are a few jumper wires in there.

I wouldn't be surprised if this Irish 2600 was actually made in China and re-badged as "Made in Ireland" after the composite mod was added.

From a legal point of view, a product that was 'completed' in Ireland would have been "Made in Ireland".

Here they are :

Great!

You got a very particular item. I think that the juniors were produced in Ireland only in 1984, and that the later models, made in Asia, came only in the rf-version to cut costs.

How about the picture quality? I hope some of the electronics guru here on AA can use the pics you provided to design an AV-mod for the PAL junior. Maybe a picture of the other side of the board would be useful too.

Thanks for sharing! :)

So, what kind of output is this console providing through the SCART cable; is it composite, luma/chroma, or something else?

I find it odd that this console uses the PAL TIA, while another SECAM console (with RF output) that was shown in a topic here uses the NTSC TIA.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

So, what kind of output is this console providing through the SCART cable; is it composite, luma/chroma, or something else?

I find it odd that this console uses the PAL TIA, while another SECAM console (with RF output) that was shown in a topic here uses the NTSC TIA.

This is a PAL console. I read in this old thread that the juniors were available in France only in PAL format.

These pictures show the rf version: as you can see it's the same board.

th_jrboard.jpg th_jrboard2.jpg

Scart was initially designed to provide composite and RGB signals. S-video was added to the standard only in the late 80s, so this console should output PAL composite video.

Edited by alex_79

I found some info about a 2600 jr. with scart a/v output instead the rf one. It's a "short rainbow" made in Ireland and sold only in France probably for a limited period.

Hello!

It's my website and my console you link here, i found you with my referent url tracker :cool:

if you're interested, feel free to ask for details ;)

by the way i own other Atari 2600 consoles, and i own some spécific PAL games, feel free to ask for scans, photos and more

(but please, gives me some days before answering if the questions are complex)

Hello!

It's my website and my console you link here, i found you with my referent url tracker :cool:

Hi! Welcome to Atariage! :)

by the way i own other Atari 2600 consoles, and i own some spécific PAL games, feel free to ask for scans, photos and more

Here you are! :D

Do you have the box and/or the manual of that console? If so, can you post some pics/scans? Can you confirm that is a PAL console and that later 2600 junior (the "long rainbow") only came with antenna output?

Is this the only 2600 model with scart a/v output (I know about the 7800) released in France?

Info about the 2600 in europe are scarce and fragmentary (I've collected the info I found so far in this post), so any further detail about models and release dates is welcome. :)

Hello!

Hi and welcome onboard ! I noticed we have the same first name. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have the box and/or the manual of that console? If so, can you post some pics/scans? Can you confirm that is a PAL console and that later 2600 junior (the "long rainbow") only came with antenna output?

Is this the only 2600 model with scart a/v output (I know about the 7800) released in France?

Info about the 2600 in europe are scarce and fragmentary (I've collected the info I found so far in this post), so any further detail about models and release dates is welcome. :)

Hi!

- box, manual : no, i have not the box nor manual of the 2600JR small rainbow

- i'll do some scans and photos as soon as i will take the console to my home (for the moment, it's in my mother's home, i need time to take it back here)

- i have not the large rainbow version, and i never see it in France, it seems it's more a model wich was sold in Germany

- i own a 2600 woody 6 buttons, model is CX-2600 P , so i think it's P for Pal version

- i own two different models of 4 switch black version! i own one boxed, second loose.

Differences are product code and design of the black front

one is CX-2600 AS : black is like leather

second is CX-2600 GP : black is like metal painting, not 100% black but little bit grey ( my webpage for CX-2600 GP )

- i don't know other model with peritel scart except the small rainbow i own

- by the way, if i take a look to the differences between heavy6 and light6 woody (on photos, i have not the heavy), i see the bottom plastic is different, it's rounded on heavy6 and with angle on light6 (like woody4 and black4 models). It's the best way to differenciate heavy6 and light6 imho

more news later, i have bookmarked this topic, i'll add infos as soon as i can do photos and documents

Thanks for the info! :)

[...] second is CX-2600 GP : black is like metal painting, not 100% black but little bit grey ( my webpage for CX-2600 GP )

I wonder what "GP" stands for. Is it PAL or SECAM? I suppose the "CX-2600 AS" console is SECAM, but the PERITEL JR. posted by oldric in this topic is definitely PAL and has the same model number...

I wonder what "GP" stands for. Is it PAL or SECAM? I suppose the "CX-2600 AS" console is SECAM, but the PERITEL JR. posted by oldric in this topic is definitely PAL and has the same model number...

PAL or SECAM ? it is not possible for me to say that, because all our tv sets are compatible pal and secam video system since 20 years

i prefer say it's UHF or VHF, and on Band I or II

i far as i know : UHF is only Secam ?, VHF is Pal ?, Video composite is Pal !

Scart/Peritel can be plug with Video Composite (bad quality), or with RGB signal (good quality)

hard to say what is pal or secam, it is the same for us

only NTSC is rare on our tv sets, and plays in black'n white

CX-2600 AS : i have take some photos for you, take a look here :

http://adzone.free.fr/temp/atari2600as-temporary/

impossible to catch a video signal with my tv or my video-tape-recorder tuner, i'll try another method with very old UHF/VHF tuner, on the antenna cable is a sticker with VHF letters (VHF is more hard to catch, it is channel 02 to 06 ; UHF is better, channel 21 to 36), so i need to use VHF compatible tuner and it is not easy because it is old video signal (and i don't know if this console works, so the research is hard)

on photos you can see the "front black" is like Grain Leather with relief

it is very different of the CX-2600 GP wich is metal grey painting, smooth

so i think it's time to make a new category, these two consoles are definitively differents models

the "dark vador" classification can be killed, and replaced with model letters to make the difference between the black plastic front

box is in multi language, looks like an european version

under sticker in french only say legal notice without informations, so i think this console was sold in france (and in europe probably)

You can tell if it's a secam console by looking at the colors displayed on TV. In fact, probably due to the limited market, Atari didn't develope a SECAM TIA (TIA is the graphic chip of the 2600), but created the secam version by adding an extra circuit to a NTSC TIA chip, allowing only 8 different colors associated with the luma values (the NTSC version has 16 hues, each with 8 luma values which give 128 different colors, while PAL has 13 hues X 8 lums = 104 colors). Here you can see the 3 TIA color palette.

Moreover the color/B&W switch is wired in a different way. In NTSC and PAL 2600 it's a software switch, whose behaviour is determined by the game; in the SECAM console it affect the video signal and the "software" switch is hardwired to B&W.

Some, but not all, PAL games released by Atari from 1980/81 (when SECAM 2600 was launched) until the game crash of 1984 were programmed to give decent colors on a SECAM console, while Activision released some specific PAL/SECAM games (with palette reduced to 8 colors) in addition to PAL-only versions (with full-color palette).

See this topic for more info about Activision Secam games.

Here you can see how some PAL games appear on a PAL or a SECAM console respectively.

Combat:

combat.gif

Air Sea Battle:

airseabat.gif

Mario Bros:

mariobros.gif

Defender:

defender.gif

Realsports Soccer:

rs_soccer.gif

Solaris:

solaris.gif

Another method is to open the case and looking at the board:

A SECAM board it's pictured in this topic .

For PAL, look at this.

• 8 months later...

hello!

happy new year 2008 !

this message just to say i'm not dead :D

and i have now the famous junior console in my home and i'm able to open it again, make macro photos and answer to your questions

i own now other A2600 consoles (http://zone.bomberoza.net/index.htm)

CX-2600 P (wood 6 buttons)

CX-2600 S (wood 4 buttons)

CX-2600 AS (black leather)

CX-2600 GP (grey metal paint)

junior small rainbow with scart