IGNORED

console war

58 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, which console is the "next gen" winner?

• PS3
    • Nintendo Wii
    • Xbox 360

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I say the 360 for now. It had a head start which gave it a jump on the game library. It has good third party support game wise. They expanded on XBOX LIVE and they still add on good little things to it. Like being able to play a game while downloading, a shame Sony hasn't done that yet. Oh, and there is a good chance that you will be able to find one in a store now, unlike the Wii. But thats what I think for now. There is a possibility we will see a major change. But I really want them all to be successful.

If you were talking all the next gen next gens comeing out today, I'd have to say the 360, simply cause it's library is HUGE compared to the other two (on account of a year head start)

If your looking 5 years down the road, I'd figure the PS3 to die off, or finely get their heads out of their ass and reprice their console (I can literally get a computer thatw would DESTROY the PS3 for less than the PS# costs) So probably not around. Wii, does great with it's wonky controll gemic, wich will either really REALLY catch on full force, and get knockoffs for the other systems, which would make the Wii win, or it will really fail badly after people figure out it is a gemic, and end up second. And X-box 360, with it's huge already in use library, and rather nice over all set up, could vary well take it if Nintendo doesn't.

i said wii just because its the only system thast really "new". the others are merely upgrades in hardware like the last two gens.. finally, a new way to play.

i miss going from new console to new console with at least a new controller (and no xbox --> 360 i dont consider "new", its merely upgraded slightly). i remember the first time i saw an nes pad, the genesis pad, and the n64 esp it was really exciting just to put it in your hands for the first time... i kinda miss that feeling.

not to say the other two arent next gen or bad systems, just dont think they really shake as much new things up as the wii in terms of plowing the way to the future of gaming past graphical leaps.

seeing how a console almost never moves up in the market after it has been launched, its pretty safe to say the PS3 is going to be a bust. Its hard to say if the Wii will be the winner or not, as they have yet to get enough product on the market to stay on the shelf, basically they are still selling every unit that ships. the 07 xmas season will be a better indication of what the precise market shares will be.

Wii is doing good in Germany, mainly due to being cheap.

But PS3, just released in March (usually not a good month to launch a console, as people still recovering from Christmas spending), is doing extremely well, even with the high price factor:

http://games.listings.ebay.de/Konsolen_Pla...ListingItemList

UK is a bit more 'playing the waiting game':

http://video-games.search.ebay.co.uk/sony-...Z62054QQsalicZ3

but once the PS3 is ready to roll, they'll whip out their CCs for sure

Sony probably will win in Europe, as it has with PS and PS2 in the past.

Edited by thomasholzer

Its too early to tell. Ask again in a year or so.

Don't count out xbox360, they are always moving forward regardless and PS3 despite its high prices is technically a great slice of hardware.

ask again in a year or two??? hes trying to make a PREDICTION for a class.. whats the point of predicting when we already know who'll win?!

I think the PS3 and 360 will be neck n neck this generation with most people owning both systems. I think the Sony/Microsoft fight will continue on into the next generation before one or the other gives up. I'm sure Home will do great things for Sony but you know Microsoft will fire back with somthing similar.

The Wii? I think in a year or two graphics will begin to matter to people who didn't care and that people will finally realize that doing real world activites is much more fun then imitating.

Yeah, so 360/PS3, pretty much on par with each other in terms or fans/sales for this generation. I think the real fight will be next gen when Sony or Microsoft is declaired the winner. The Wii will fail and be Nintendos last home console. Nintendo will then just focus on handhelds and go the Sega route for putting Mario/Zelda games on Sony/MS consoles.

Thats my prediction.

Edited by ManShowBoy

the ps3 will not be the market leader unless it drops in price. the only console to start in a hole and make up the deficit was the SNES, when it did manage to come back three years after launch, it had the exact same price as the genesis.

3rd parties will produce the most games for the biggest install base. the exact same reason the cube was neglected last gen will assure the wii gets more titles this gen. with the 360 and PS3 currently getting few exclusives, there is little reason to own both systems.

so the questions will be, will the 360 hold on to the top spot against a up-and-coming wii, and just how big will sonys market share be?

and somewhat off topic but relevant for a paper on the subject, sonys business model for the PS and PS2 was to sell their systems at a loss and make their profits from 3rd party software sales. since both systems had a monster market share, this model worked quite well. but even if the PS3 were to pull a miracle and crawl into first place, it will be virtually impossible for them to get over 50% of the market, this likely ensures sony will not see a profit from the PS3 anytime soon. in the end, what will a multimedia company like sony do if their game division starts eating away at their overall profits? it didnt take very long for warner to drop atari in the 80s, would sony sell off or spin off the playstation brand?

My opinion is the Wii, as it's the closest thing to a modern-day 2600 in bringing the family together etc, which will see it placed in a number of homes that would not normally have bought consoles. We have two friends who have done just that after playing Wii and they are non-gamers.

Reality in Oz though is the PS3 will probably win overall as this is a BIG Sony market, the price point is the only thing that may see it lose.

There are a bunch of companies that will NOT develop certain games for underpowered systems or non market leaders too. Keep that in mind.

(Team Ninja and Bethesda comes to mind)

Nintendo needs to keep up the good work and not rely on the current love\novelty cause it can wear out quick if they dont continue to produce. I simply dont think they can compete hardware-wise with Sony or Microsoft so they did the smart\right thing.

All I'm saying is dont crown the wii king yet. Just wait.

But considering how nice the wii is I wouldn't be too surprised if they make a good mark this time around.

Yeah the wii is not gonna survive on mini games alone. They need to come up with stuff that has more depth.

thats kinda like saying the 360 and the ps3 wont survive alone on fps. or even dreamcast and shooters.

just sounds like your generalizing a bit unfairly here. there are lots of fps on those consoles, shooters on the dc, and mulitiplayer games for nintendo, but it doesnt mean its an overwealming amount. while the microsoft has lots of fps, i just ignore them, and get the platforms and racing games (esp rally racing :) ). as far as nintendo, besides rayman, just cause i like him, i have 8 other games that arent party games because i like the other genres.

Really? I remember haveing a topic on here about the DS's gimmics. Got slammed for it to. I think it's funny how many people will assume that cause you dislike something, you don't own it (I actually owned the thing twice, and sold it twice)

Maybe it's time to look into getting another one? I still loved Advance Wars. The only game out of a couple dozen I played,wich was not overly gimmicy for the DS, that I liked., (though even there, the second screen was primairly waisting power) Of course, I got and love both for the GBA, so it was a real nobrainer IMO. Oh, I liked Brain Age, which seemed to actually make good use of the touch screen.

Edited by Video