IGNORED

jaguar..worst atari system?

phuzaxeman

Basically I agree with the general conscencus on this. The Jag was a serious piece of hardware that possessed a lot of potential but was squandered by being placed in the hands of idiots. It could have been the system that saved Atari but as it stands due to mismanegement the Jag was condemned to be the last games console they launched and so is often wrongly seen as being a failure ;)

The worst system is definitely the Jag CD. Nearly every second unit doesn't work anymore, including mine *grr*

But I Love the Jaguar for games like AvP, Iron Soldier, Tempest 2000 and of course: Attack of the Mutant Penguins! :cool:

I must disagree...the lynx is by far the best From a tech standpoint? Lynx is easily the best thought out desing from Atari yet...hands down and light years away. That little sucker is complete.
If Atari had been smart, they would have not bothered even going after the home console market, and instead concentrated on the Lynx. It took 10 years for Nintendo to catch up to the Lynx in technology. If Atari had released a battery-friendly Lynx3 instead of the Jaguar, things might be very different now.

The worst system is definitely the Jag CD. Nearly every second unit doesn't work anymore, including mine *grr*

But I Love the Jaguar for games like AvP, Iron Soldier, Tempest 2000 and of course: Attack of the Mutant Penguins! :cool:

considering the jaguars lifespan, it sure has picked up more interest over the years,this system by far is more fun and more promising than the other atari systems, i dont even have interest in the others anymore, although they were all great systems, the jaguar is king of the atari jungle :D ,my opinion.

I must disagree...the lynx is by far the best From a tech standpoint? Lynx is easily the best thought out desing from Atari yet...hands down and light years away. That little sucker is complete.
If Atari had been smart, they would have not bothered even going after the home console market, and instead concentrated on the Lynx. It took 10 years for Nintendo to catch up to the Lynx in technology. If Atari had released a battery-friendly Lynx3 instead of the Jaguar, things might be very different now.

You been reading my Lynx vs. Lynx vs. GBA article? :D

You really thought I-War was crap Curt? I actually liked that game. It's not exactly perfect but it was unique and the fact that it was different made it nice to play for a change.

Outside of I-wars choppy Frame rate, the game was cool.

Very Tron like. Get me the source and I'll double the Frame rate.

You really thought I-War was crap Curt? I actually liked that game. It's not exactly perfect but it was unique and the fact that it was different made it nice to play for a change.

Outside of I-wars choppy Frame rate, the game was cool.

Very Tron like. Get me the source and I'll double the Frame rate.

I Love I war, but hey, if someone could double the framerate (and more importantly, dump it on a cart) I'd be there to by it.

Yeah, Someone said it very well, the Jaguar, as a system is great. It's just to bad it's not so good games drag it down.

As I said, look at games that were on the Jag and other systems, and the Jag almost always come out on top.

but how about when they were selling millions and ruled the market? it's sad what the company couldn't maintain at their peak.

I believe the company that was ruling the market with the 2600 is not the same Atari as the Tramiel Atari who ran it into the ground. Atari owner/managment changed hands after the the 2600 era and the great video game crash around the early '80s.

The JaguarCD is the best part of the Jaguar, if of course it is working correctly. Atari themselves were dissatisfied with the projected life expectency of the JaguarCD unit itself and it's lower than expected quality. Although it was made by compact disc pioneers Phillips.

You been reading my Lynx vs. Lynx vs. GBA article? :D

Great article.

Perhaps Curt could talk them into making a new handheld. He's doing the FB2 portable... perhaps that could be a stepping stone! I think the PSP proved that there is a market out there for handhelds other than Gameboy. True... the DS is outselling... but I think the PSP has a lot to compete against it.

[ i'd say though that the jaguar was the least supported and had the worst library of good games in comparison to all other atari systems. the frustration is that it was one of atari's last system and you'd think they'd learn from the past.

I don''t think that's a fair assessment. I think they honestly tried, but the sins of the past caught up to them. They acquired more third party support than they had done for the Lynx or 7800. They introduced a tip line. They tried to reach out to magazines. They tried to license good titles. They tried to focus on one thing.

They just couldn't compete against a juggernaut with a half billion dollar launch budget or the sins they committed previously.

On another note, I find it laughable that people blame Atari management for all the Jaguar's problems. I will admit that they did rush a lot of games out, and they were a bit naive, if anything. But you have to consider the size of Atari at the time. By 1993, when the Jaguar was first pushed out the door, their workforce was down well below 1000. I believe the old SEC filings placed them around 400 employees. Their assets at the time were around $35 million in cash and some change held in securities. They didn't even own a building at that point (just leases). Compare that with the original Playstation launch, which Sony dedicated $100 million in North American marketing alone, and you can see Atari had no hope.

Sam Tramiel? Is that you? ;)

LOL -- no, he makes a good point. There's a lot of "armchair CEO's" on these forums.

7800 is the worst atari system ever.

The decisisons made around it? YES!!! It however was a fantastic machine.

I find it to be far superior to the NES. Unfortunaely it had a small amount

of its owns games. But it was the very first to play games from an exsisting

system. IT has some pretty good power but can be hard to code for. Only

Jaguar was handled worse.

...I find it to be far superior to the NES...

7800 far superior than the nes? not even close. over 60 million units sold, controllers that set a new standard in video gaming, encouragement of 3rd party developers, amazing depth games like zelda, megaman, super mario, tecmo bowl, and punch out (to name a few), graphics and music, it's not even in the same category. i love my old 7800 but let's be realistic....

7800 far superior than the nes? not even close. over 60 million units sold, controllers that set a new standard in video gaming, encouragement of 3rd party developers, amazing depth games like zelda, megaman, super mario, tecmo bowl, and punch out (to name a few), graphics and music, it's not even in the same category. i love my old 7800 but let's be realistic....

The joys of newsgroups is that we have varying opinions which lead to interesting discussions.

Edited by DracIsBack

The thing about it is that every dead (died before its time)system has its fans. Most have a much better ratio of good to bad games than the Jag. Most had quality support/standards that would stop weak 16 bit looking games to appear om their system. The only next gen system that I can think of that had a worst ratio of bad to good was 3D0 while it released 220 or so games only 25 to 30 were 5 star games then 10-15 were good games the rest were very much below average. Compared to Jaguar that released about 80 or so games and 10-15 are 5 star games then 10-15 are the rest are below average for the time of release or unplayable.

I agree Atari tried harder this time then ever before but they still made alot of stupiddecisions, Did they ask anyone what they thought of the controller(Myself I think the Pro Version is one of the best controllers ever made but the key pad is only used in like 20% of the games made)

So Maybe include 1 # Pad and 1 arcade joystick.

Did Atari realy look around at what was popular at the time...No, early 90's was Fighting Games(Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter clones)#1, Sport's games #2, Sonic/Mario rip-offs #3, Arcade Ports#4, Bad Movie/tv ie In's #5......Atari chose 3-D shootersas their #1 category(something the machine wasn't even designed to handle well. Designed to run circles around 2-D games yet that wasn't the focus(I know Playstation was around the corner w/ 3-D and 3d0/Sega CD was all about FMV games)

I know Atari couldn't afford to run focus groups, they could just went to a local High School and set up an/internship that taught kids how to play test and what they liked.

I think Atari should of faced the fact that they were never going to be #1, or #2 and just done like Neo Geo or Nintendo Game Cube and went after a nitch market.

If atari would of actualy play test their games and finished them...think of how the public would of responded. If Atari would of Focused on releasing titles owned by Tengen(64 Bit versions) and 2000 versions of their old catalog Burger Time 2000, Q-Burt 2000, Centepede 2000, Asteroids 2000. Then at least they would of went down as the system they tried realy hard and gave it a good try.

As they stand now their are known as the system of what- iffs and they could of

7800 far superior than the nes? over 60 million units sold,
So units sold equals 'superiority'? By that thinking the Gameboy Advance is the greatest console of all time. :roll: Nice bit of gaming kit, but hardly the most 'superior'.

The best console is the one you play the most.

Did Atari realy look around at what was popular at the time...No, early 90's was Fighting Games(Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter clones)#1, Sport's games #2, Sonic/Mario rip-offs #3, Arcade Ports#4, Bad Movie/tv ie In's #5......Atari chose 3-D shootersas their #1 category(something the machine wasn't even designed to handle well. Designed to run circles around 2-D games yet that wasn't the focus(I know Playstation was around the corner w/ 3-D and 3d0/Sega CD was all about FMV games)

Well the Jag got a pretty good amount of #1 Fighter clones and #3 Sonic/Mario clones. Sports is where the Jag fell off but Atari didnt have the relationships with EA and such.

Doom was huge on the PC when the Jag came out - Atari did the right thing with AvP, signing iD for Doom and T2K. It would provide the Jag with some unique games that folks didnt think about for a console and possibly intorduce something different to attract buyers (T2K) - If the Jag had the same titles as 3DO and others there wouldnt be a reason to buy it.

Big problem with Atari was the dev resources and groups they could talk into working on the Jag were really just preparing themselves to work on other systems and not totally focused on making a Jag game great.

Did Atari realy look around at what was popular at the time...No, early 90's was Fighting Games(Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter clones)#1, Sport's games #2, Sonic/Mario rip-offs #3, Arcade Ports#4, Bad Movie/tv ie In's #5......Atari chose 3-D shootersas their #1 category(something the machine wasn't even designed to handle well.

Reread the Jaguar library list again. All of those categories are well represented within the Jaguar's library.

What isn't represented is quality titles in all those genres. I think they new what they needed to provide. I think they couldn't afford to get good developers churning out standout games in those categories before Sony appeared.

I think Atari should of faced the fact that they were never going to be #1, or #2 and just done like Neo Geo or Nintendo Game Cube and went after a nitch market.

Again folks, GameCube sold 22 million consoles worldwide -- probably something like 50 times what the Jaguar did. That's a little more "mainstream". :P Not number one, but I'd hardly call something with 700 games "niche".

...I find it to be far superior to the NES...

The 7800 could do all those games.