IGNORED

NES High Score Club 2nd Season Week #2 - Double Dragon II

vdub_bobby

No more mushroom munching and turtle stomping: it's time for Double Dragon II: The Revenge!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it. Bucket comes through!

Note: Only scores achieved by playing a new game, from the beginning, will count - no continues!

Special note: Play on the Warrior difficulty (not Practice or Supreme Master).

This week's competition ends next Tuesday (March 20) morning at approximately 8:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

108,490 bust3dstr8 (+10 pts)

108,060 rjchamp3 (+8 pts)

106,320 Bucket (+6 pts + 1 pt for best tip)

92,160 8th lutz (+4 pts)

44,810 LarcenTyler (+2 pts)

30,060 vdub_bobby (+1 pt)

21,620 gdement (+1 pt)

15,710 Cybergoth (+1 pt)

13,670 MetalSlime23 (+1 pt)

Make sure to play on the Warrior difficulty setting!

Twin Galaxies High Scores

112,500 Scott Kessler

73,110 Rudy J Ferretti :ponder:

66,380 Nik Meeks

59,720 Mr. Kelly R Flewin

Note: Those scores are for the Supreme Master difficulty.

Overall standings:

1. vdub_bobby (11 pts)

2. rjchamp3 (8 pts)

3. LarcenTyler (6 pts)

4. MetalSlime23 (4 pts)

5. bust3dstr8 (2 pts)

6. 8th lutz (1 pts)

6. Cybergoth (1 pts)

Game Info

Developed for the arcade by Technos in 1988, ported to the NES by Technos Japan Corp. in 1989.

Other platforms: Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS, Game Boy, Genesis, MSX, ZX Spectrum

Prequels/sequels/spinoffs: Double Dragon (Arcade, 1987, Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Genesis, Lynx, MSX, NES, Sega Master System, ZX Spectrum, 1988), Double Dragon 3 - The Rosetta Stone (Arcade, 1990), Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones (Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS, Game Boy, Genesis, NES, ZX Spectrum, 1991), Super Double Dragon (SNES, 1992), Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team (Gameboy, Genesis, NES, SNES, 1993), Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls (Genesis, Jaguar, SNES, 1994), Double Dragon (Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, PlayStation, 1995)

Tips

The HSC played Double Dragon two weeks ago.

rjchamp3:

Jump then uppercut more points and much more damage good on enemies too, be tactful

Bucket:

Use grappling moves as much as you can to squeeze more beatings out of the enemies. I usually go for punch > punch > punch > grab > elbow > elbow > football kick.

Spin kicks are your best best against the ninjas at the end of level 2. Beware, though: if you don't connect, they'll just stab you to death.

For the part in level 4 with the low ceiling, don't try anything fancy; keep kicking and let the enemies walk into your foot. This is your best defense against the larger guys who have a longer reach. If you take them down, you can then stand on top of them and try to kick them as they get up.

In the last room of level 4 with the conveyors, walk down as soon as you enter. You'll walk onto solid ground. Jump across, then position yourself to walk straight up and through the door.

To cross the river in level 5, position your feet so they're horizontal to the top edge of the top bridge. Then simply get as close to the edge as you can and jump.

Levels 6 & 7... uh... timing is key.

On level 8, the ghost boss likes to disappear and possess you. When he does, count to 2 and do a spin kick. He'll lose his chance to get you and rematerialize. Also: when the ghost is near death, you CAN perform a grapple move on him.

bust3dstr8:

Gotta use the Cyclone kick it's worth 500 and does less damage than the uppercut.

You can get extra hits from the alot of the enemies, the firebombers, the tarzan freak, the army guy and the nunchuckers.

Edited by vdub_bobby

I swear I'd get killed at the end of the fourth level with those conveyor belts, but I managed to make it through intact. It's the water in level five that gets me. (You'd think martial arts masters would know how to swim?)

I have died there too just line yourself up good.

And watch out on level 6 OH MY GOD :skull:

Just got a huge lot of Nes games today, so hopefully I will be able to compete more.

I'll have to let the air outta that windbag rjchamp :D

I think my gamer thumb just healed from the Season 1 Castlevania.

Man, that was a great time I hadn't gamed like that in years.

Yah that was fun, what games did ya get

Just got a huge lot of Nes games today, so hopefully I will be able to compete more.

I'll have to let the air outta that windbag rjchamp :D

I think my gamer thumb just healed from the Season 1 Castlevania.

Man, that was a great time I hadn't gamed like that in years.

Yah that was fun, what games did ya get

Got alot of the popular series:

Mega Mans

Marios

Zeldas

Ninja Gaidens

Contras

Double Dragons.....Just in time ;)

Got about 60 games here some others:

Bonk

Shinobi

Strider

Blaster Master

Hogan Ally

Metroid

Punch Out

Excitebike

Qbert

Spy Hunter

Tengen Tetris

TMNT

FF1

There's some picks in the "Thrift Finds" thread

I swear I'd get killed at the end of the fourth level with those conveyor belts, but I managed to make it through intact. It's the water in level five that gets me. (You'd think martial arts masters would know how to swim?)

I have died there too just line yourself up good.

And watch out on level 6 OH MY GOD :skull:

Yup, I'm going through my controllers right now. Gonna find the best one and clean it up nice.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to put in precise platforming where you have to hit two

tiny buttons to jump should be kicked in the nads.

I've got tips for the game:

Use grappling moves as much as you can to squeeze more beatings out of the enemies. I usually go for punch > punch > punch > grab > elbow > elbow > football kick.

Spin kicks are your best best against the ninjas at the end of level 2. Beware, though: if you don't connect, they'll just stab you to death.

For the part in level 4 with the low ceiling, don't try anything fancy; keep kicking and let the enemies walk into your foot. This is your best defense against the larger guys who have a longer reach. If you take them down, you can then stand on top of them and try to kick them as they get up.

In the last room of level 4 with the conveyors, walk down as soon as you enter. You'll walk onto solid ground. Jump across, then position yourself to walk straight up and through the door.

To cross the river in level 5, position your feet so they're horizontal to the top edge of the top bridge. Then simply get as close to the edge as you can and jump.

Levels 6 & 7... uh... timing is key.

On level 8, the ghost boss likes to disappear and possess you. When he does, count to 2 and do a spin kick. He'll lose his chance to get you and rematerialize. Also: when the ghost is near death, you CAN perform a grapple move on him.

Link to manual

One more thing: rjchamp, how did you get to Level 9? That's only available in Supreme Master mode. SHENANIGANS!

<-- Knows way too much about DD2, might try my hand

Getting better, but those conveyor belts in level seven are a PITA!

Oh yah regained the World record and new fastest completion will submit to twingalaxies

118,450 No leetching obviously :)

I'm sorry, but I really think this score shouldn't be allowed since by going to the extra level it allowed for extra points. Your call, bobby.

Edited by LarcenTyler

Getting better, but those conveyor belts in level seven are a PITA!

Oh yah regained the World record and new fastest completion will submit to twingalaxies

I'm sorry, but I really think this score shouldn't be allowed since by going to the extra level it allowed for extra points. Your call, bobby.

No problem I m still gonna win :cool:

No problem I m still gonna win :cool:

No lack of confidence! :lol:

I agree, though - please play with the correct difficulty. There's still plenty of time to play again on the correct difficulty. :D

DoubleDragon2-TheRevengeU_002.png

EDIT: 106,320

And I think I can get a bit higher. I've got a strategy.

BTW, that thing I said about grappling moves is a bit misleading. Usually I have it on Supreme Master, but in Warrior mode the enemies have less health and die before you can squeeze enough points out of them.

Edited by Bucket