IGNORED

laserman'88 is now here

Dan Iacovelli

here is small taste (thanks to steve) of how the bombs is going dropping.

(no actual gameplay except for ship movemt, no fire)

Looks good Dan. The sprite appears full size at the top before it starts dropping, which should be easy to fix. I'm leaving now to go out for the evening, but I'll see if I can take a look a the code later tonight.

Steve

here is small taste (thanks to steve) of how the bombs is going dropping.

(no actual gameplay except for ship movemt, no fire)

Looks good Dan. The sprite appears full size at the top before it starts dropping, which should be easy to fix. I'm leaving now to go out for the evening, but I'll see if I can take a look a the code later tonight.

Steve

don't worry it's a sample, not the actual game when Iget the game working I will post it.

stage 3.4(small revision)

right now it's only has one bomb, but now you have the animation of the bomb dropiing(starts out small and gets bigger as it comes close)

fixed the playfield bug and shrunk it down to be an actual triangle(before it more like a trapiziod))

still have the missile problem(you get multiple hits on the bomb at times)

also there is one small change when the missile hit the bomb, the bomb now dissapears and reapears on the top

so at time you might get one hit or you might get mulitper hits.

laser.bas.bin

laser.bas

• 3 months later...

stage 4.1(yes it progressing nicely now)

New features:

added second bomb

added sound when you fire

added sound when you get hit

added an end screen(able to reset when reset the game at end)

added life counter (using pfscore feature)

whats gone:

the allien moving across the screen(figured it wasn't important to game)

(if anybody want to try it on real 2600 pm me and I'll make wav for you to try on a supercharger)

laser.bas

laser.bas.bin

• 2 months later...

Stage 4.2

added a third bomb (and thats all itt can fit)

game is more tougher now :D enjoy!!

(Edit:I noticed I forgot to put in a line for when a missile hit bomb 3,so it will reset that bomb back to it's first position

updated version posted here)

laser.bas.bin

laser.bas

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

Hi Dan

Great.It is really fast now.But when hit by a bomb,the screen stops and nothing happens anymore.If you are hit,you should have the possibility to start again by pressing the joystick.And more than one life would be good.

greetings Walter

you can reset if you loose your all lives. (just press the reset button(F1 on Z26))

• 7 months later...

some news concerning this game and possible others:

I recently purchased a laptop(got from ubid.ccom out 26 biders I placed 13th)

and soon Iwill work on moving all my programing tools for the 2600

to the laptop so I can get back to work on it.

plus since I have burner as well, Ican burn a rw and test on the supercharger as well.

(if all goes well I might plan on doing some original games and not ports from my ti-games)

• 1 year later...

as you see by the title, the game close to completion now

however since Iam still working on few bugs. I won't post the game until

I get it all done.

for now the game is at stage 4.5

(the changing playfield is now working(I did a test run with second playfield and it worked

also back by popular demand sound is back in the game dropping bombs and new fire sound)

Estimated date of game to released should be in a month in bin form posted here cart release hopefully around VGS'10

unless Iget enough demand for to be done earlier.

• 2 months later...

well here it is after a year and few months delay

the full bin release of Laserman'88 Revised and complete:

"In the year 1988 Earth was invaded by aliens from the distant future,

who are known as Kyrzons, they tried to take over in distant future,but we had

the equipment to drive them off. They have came back to the past and they are waiting

for the perfect time to take over. by thorough research, we have found the base in

the center of the Bermuda Triangle.

The Secretary of Defense, has called his best team to take on this challenge

but they all have failed. so the sec. of Defense called on the only person

who can take on this challenge, is a superhero from the distant future:

Laserman."

In this game, you are Laserman in your Laser Blaser,which give you 4 lives

the kyrzon's have detected you and they are armed with cloaking device

and are dropping bombs on you. In order to reach the main base you have go through

5 levels,shoot down the bombs to advance to next level

finish the last level you would have won,if you lose your lives the game ends

and you will see what the kryzon's look like at the end screen.

each bomb is worth 10pts.

whats fixed:

1.level changes is working(before didn't work well since I was based on my ti-game now it more based on the score)

2. bonus lives is working: since this game only 5 levels you get a bonus life when you start levels 2 and 4

3. new sound added when you get hit by a bomb

4. use difficulty switch b to turn off sound of bomb dropping

5. collision detection between bombs, missiles and you working (before you were to get multiple hits now it's more harder to

get that plus you won't loose extra lives if you get hit like before(you might still be able to get way by getting hit and not

loose a life as well depends on the bomb hit you)

6. new end game screen when you complete all 5 levels

(fire to reset is still in the game, so if you die or finish the game the game will restart when you press fire)

7. title screen is also working (press fire to start the game after the title screen)

Have fun.

Cart version will not be posted that will only be available at VGS(and for those who requested after)

after the show if any is remaining carts is left after all the orders from before are filled

I will mention that. if I'm out I will send you an e-mail on how you can get a custom cart from AL.

Edit: 5. collision fixed gain and now bomb disappears and reset after it is hit

Edit again: 5. (again) fixed collision again

8.fixed the collision with playfield and missile

I would like to thank everybody who helped me with the game: RT(for the collisions code and firing)

Atarius Maximus (for the the coding about the playfield changing and sprite animation)

I'll make sure you guys you guys will get credit in the manual for the cart version

laserman\'88.bas.bin

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As most of you know I plan to release a Cart version of this game at VGS'10

I know of three places that will produce carts for me:

Atari Age(they have done the carts for the tournaments at VGS)

Pakrat

and Hozer(they did mean santa)

but first I want too see who will give me a good deal on carts

so I will start a new post tomorrow at 5am CT for a waiting list

and see what happens.

The majority of the carts will be sold at the show any left overs

will be sold online.

(the list will also be for the Prequel game Laserman 2k3)

As most of you know I plan to release a Cart version of this game at VGS'10

Nope, I didn't know, but I hope you did some more work on the program. Last version I played seemed to need a bit of work.

what version is that: the final version was laserman'88.bin

the only bug in the game is the missile hitting the bombs multiple times.

the cart version will have an extra end screen and most of the bugs should be fixed.

This one:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/103808-laserman88-is-now-here/page__view__findpost__p__1871283

• When you die, you can't restart with the fire button and the death noise never ends until you hit Reset.
    _
  • While playing the game, the constant sound effect is irritating. There are no other sound effects to break up the monotonous sound. I could handle hearing that sound when blowing something up, but over and over and over and over and over again without relief just makes me want to turn the game off.
    _
  • I must not understand the rules of the game because I keep shooting those things that are falling down and they never go away. My shots don't seem to hurt them, but I am getting points, so something must be happening.

This one:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/103808-laserman88-is-now-here/page__view__findpost__p__1871283

• When you die, you can't restart with the fire button and the death noise never ends until you hit Reset.
    _
  • While playing the game, the constant sound effect is irritating. There are no other sound effects to break up the monotonous sound. I could handle hearing that sound when blowing something up, but over and over and over and over and over again without relief just makes me want to turn the game off.
    _
  • I must not understand the rules of the game because I keep shooting those things that are falling down and they never go away. My shots don't seem to hurt them, but I am getting points, so something must be happening.

ok that is the final bin version:

depending on your emulator: hit the reset switch to reset(or on actual system (the reset switch))

had people complain about no sound before, the sound is the sound of the bombs dropping,maybe in th cart version I will have use the difficulty switch

to turn on or off the sound.

everytime you hit one you get ten points,then they reset and go to the top and start over again.( I do know that are some instances when you get multiple hits on one bomb

thats a programing bug because I'm actually coping 1 sprite 3 times and unlike the ti where can define more then one it can only be done by coping 1 and it represents that one it

is rare though that happens)

Also the playfield does get smaller each time to hit a certain # of bombs the last level in the bin version is level 5

the cart version will have a special end screen for those beat level 5(which I can't say what because that a surprise)

depending on your emulator: hit the reset switch to reset(or on actual system (the reset switch))

Any game released after May of 1982 should start using the fire button. That doesn't mean that you should forget about the Reset Switch. It should be the player's choice. When the game ends, the player should be able to play again by pressing the fire button or the Reset Switch. It should never be one or the other. Give the player the ability to use whichever one they want. Remember to have some type of short game over sequence that makes sure the player can't restart by accident. The player will still be able to restart using the fire button, but only when he or she wants to.

Any game released after May of 1982 should start using the fire button. That doesn't mean that you should forget about the Reset Switch. It should be the player's choice. When the game ends, the player should be able to play again by pressing the fire button or the Reset Switch. It should never be one or the other. Give the player the ability to use whichever one they want. Remember to have some type of short game over sequence that makes sure the player can't restart by accident. The player will still be able to restart using the fire button, but only when he or she wants to.

mean santa didn't have the fire button used as reset.

So, somebody should slap the programmer. You can't use other people's bad examples as an excuse. You're using batari Basic. It's easy to have a game restart with the fire button and the Reset Switch.

So, somebody should slap the programmer. You can't use other people's bad examples as an excuse. You're using batari Basic. It's easy to have a game restart with the fire button and the Reset Switch.

yes I know maybe I will work that in the cart version as well.

you also have to remember it's my first game with bB and I just used to it.

that was why I did the whole game in stages before the bin release.