IGNORED

Intellivision II power supply

Hello folks. I got an Intelly II recently, but it has no power supply. I tried Radio Shaque, but no luck. Anyhow, here is some info from the Intelly FAQ:

This unit also used a non-standard AC Adapter, making it near impossible to

find a replacement at your local Radio Shack. For those who are handy enough

to construct their own, here are the specs:

Input: 120V 60Hz 25 Watts

Output: 16.7V AC 1.0A

Even if that is correct, is it tip positive, or negitive? Also....ANY chance one of you fine folks have a spare INT II PS? Or know where I can get one? Or a compatible one? Jeez. Oh yeah, I also have a Sears Tele-games Intellivision unit (forgot the exact name), and I have no controllers for it. Any source for those?

Thanks everybody!

-deadtech

First off, Thanks Paul! I will look into BGMicro when I get a chance. Also: the Synthcart rocks! I think it's really great that you made a new game for VCS that has a truly new mechanic (the dual touchpads). That is why I am also very eagerly awaiting your upcoming game. Two sets of paddles?! Cool! :)

-deadtech

According to Deathskull Laboratories, alternative power supplies that supposedly work in the Intellivision II include the Atari 5200, Atari Jaguar, and TurboGrafx-16 power supplies. I also found a message on Usenet that the NES power supply will work, although I don't think the connector will fit. I have seen several messages from people saying the 5200 power supply works fine, and it has a Center Positive polarity.

..Al

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bump a old thread, but I'm looking for a Intellivision II power supply. I want to check and make sure its safe to use a Atari Jaguar power supply. And does the plug need to be modified to fit? Stumbled across this thread but wanted to check that this was true before proceeding.

Edited by Atariboy

Sorry to bump a old thread, but I'm looking for a Intellivision II power supply. I want to check and make sure its safe to use a Atari Jaguar power supply. And does the plug need to be modified to fit? Stumbled across this thread but wanted to check that this was true before proceeding.

I do not know what the rating of a Jag supply is, but I have used an Atari 8bit supply. Its the one that goes into a 400/800/1200xl/1050/xf551. If you have one of those it should work. I used one when my original Mattel supply burn out when I plugged it into a Casio piano. :(

I ,PERSONALLY, would not mess around with alternative power supplys,get the original,or one with exact specs,good luck in finding one in the wild though,these power supplys are a rare breed,dont waste your time, then you dont have to worry about problems that arise from using an adapter with the wrong ratings,especially with rare stuff like classic consoles,saves alot of headaches by just using the right one,mine was reasonable in price,and came to my door in 1 week,were as id still be dicking around finding one.I'm somewhat fanatical about my consoles,as I must have the original power adapter,cause I see them as part of the collection.Google INTV 2 power supply,and you'll find lots of places,including of course ebay,to get one.

Edited by Rik

I have proof that the 5200 power supply works just fine with the Intellivision II as I found myself in the same boat as the original poster when I obtained mine. Haven't had any problems with it. Now if I could just find another controller... *sigh*.. :)

I ,PERSONALLY, would not mess around with alternative power supplys,get the original,or one with exact specs,good luck in finding one in the wild though,these power supplys are a rare breed,dont waste your time, then you dont have to worry about problems that arise from using an adapter with the wrong ratings,especially with rare stuff like classic consoles,saves alot of headaches by just using the right one,mine was reasonable in price,and came to my door in 1 week,were as id still be dicking around finding one.I'm somewhat fanatical about my consoles,as I must have the original power adapter,cause I see them as part of the collection.Google INTV 2 power supply,and you'll find lots of places,including of course ebay,to get one.

Why would you bother with the original? A system like the INTV II doesn't need 16.7 V; an Atari 5200 power supply or the like works just fine, despite the lower voltage it puts out. It won't harm the INTV II in any way.

I do not know what the rating of a Jag supply is, but I have used an Atari 8bit supply. Its the one that goes into a 400/800/1200xl/1050/xf551. If you have one of those it should work. I used one when my original Mattel supply burn out when I plugged it into a Casio piano. :(

The Jaguar PSU is (at least the one on my Jaguar)

In 120v 60hz 20W AC

Out 9V 1.2A DC

Center Negative.

I don't know about a NES power supply working, isn't it AC instead of DC? Anyhow...if the Intv2 specs are right, why the major difference?

• 4 years later...

just tested my jag/gen/TG16/nes (dont own a 5200 ) power supplies on my intv2 system and none of them will fit over the post on the system, the hole on the power supplies are to small, but i used one of these and it worked

i checked google for intellivision 2 power supply and this thread was the first one that popped up :)

post-541-0-25579100-1300685903_thumb.jpg

post-541-0-58886300-1300685912_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lemmi

just tested my jag/gen/TG16/nes (dont own a 5200 ) power supplies on my intv2 system and none of them will fit over the post on the system, the hole on the power supplies are to small, but i used one of these and it worked

i checked google for intellivision 2 power supply and this thread was the first one that popped up :)

Whoa! Double necro-bump! Impressive! :D

:)

Edited by BassGuitari

• 4 years later...

I have been scouring google to find which other system has a power supply that will work on the Intellivision 2. I just purchased an Intellivision 2 and it came without a power supply or rf connector.

There were a few sites that had people claiming the Atari Jaguar, Sega Genesis 1 and Turbo Grafx 16 power supply would work. I am pretty sure they are wrong. I have the Jaguar, Genesis 1 and Turbo Grafx 16 and none of the power supplies will fit into the jack for the Intellivision 2.

As for the Atari 5200 power supply being compatible, I am not sure on that because I don't have an Atari 5200 to check.

But I do have the power adapter for the Turbo Grafx CD add on for my Turbo Grafx 16. The Turbo Grafx CD power adapter fits and it does work. The amp rating is higher at 1.53 amp, compared to the 950 ma that the original Intellivision 2 power supply is listed at, but the system did power up and work.

Since it has higher amperage, I only left it on for about 20 seconds, just to make sure the system powered up and the controller worked. Since finding an original power supply will be a little tough and a little costly, it is nice to be able to test the system with the Turbo Grafx CD power supply before wasting the time and money.

I used an rf connector from a sega master system and a top loader nes and while the picture came through, it was fuzzy. Maybe I will try an original Atari connector to see if it makes a difference. It would be nice if someone could confirm whether or not an Atari 5200 power supply will work and is safe to use as a permanent replacement.

Edited by Lairok

It will be fine. The amp rating only needs to be equal or greater than what the console needs. The console will draw only what it needs so extra current will not end up forced in and burn out the system.

Think of electricity as water, the voltage is a measurement of water pressure pushing water through. Too high voltage can kill system, too low will cause system to not work. Current is a measurement of water flow. The console will only drink as much as it needs, the excess won't be forced in.

Or take your house : it's connected to a grid of international size, having Terawatts of power on it.

Yet never in any time, your home appliance will fry from all those amperes that are wasted in heat on the grid because you always want to produce more than less.

Less voltage isn't harmful really as well. The odd, 16.7V measurement on the Intelli II might be due to the fact that they measured it with no load. Heavy copper transformers output more voltage with no load. For example, a standard Atari 2600 power supply can be measured up to 13V with no load. The voltage drop to 8/9/10V when the console is powered on and draw current.

Even so, electronics from the early 80's almost always just need 5V, 3.3V and -5V.

BTW one notable cause of Atari 2600 failure is a burned voltage regulator right after the power supply jack, which task is only to drop the voltage from 9V to 5V... That is, if you have a regulated 5V power supply, you can remove this regulator and save power. Early Neo Geo AES had a 5V power supply, and later went to 9V. They probably calculated that adding a voltage regulator in the system and supplying an unregulated power supply was cheaper, and less prone to console failure in case of cheap aftermarket power supply replacement.

The Neo Geo CD turns back to a 5V supply (because of a proprietary connector preventing aftermarket replacement easily), and add a 10V line probably to feed the CD drive solely.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Hmm you might be right :D Too much work on projects today, I should stop.

And indeed due to using off the shelves parts, the Colecovision used 12V. The Bally Astrocade also used 12V internally, and made it from a dual 10.5/7.6V supply. (and apparently later a single 12V unit... make up your mind, designers)

• 3 years later...