IGNORED

Atari cart cases...

opcode

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post it but...

Several people here have asked me about a Brazilian company called Patola which does produce standard VCS cart cases. Yesterday a sent them an e-mail and today they have replyed me. So here is the info:

Atari case = R$ 1.04 per unit

Tax = 15%

Total = R$ 1.20

Total for 100 units = R$ 120.00

US$/R$ ratio = 2.80 -> 100 unit ~ US$ 42.86

But the minimum order is R$ 240.00 ~ US$ 85.72 (200 units)

Of course, there will be shipping charges too...

I hope have helped... :wink:

PS: Patola's web site: www.patola.com.br

Wow.. that's pretty cheap. Shipping shouldn't be too bad per-unit if someone doesn't mind ordering 500 or 1000 at a time. I could see running into customs problems, tho.

With shipping, customs and everything, you might be looking at 60-65 cents a cart. That seems to be a lot better than going to all the time and effort (and cost) to take the labels off of Combat carts.

KA

Hi,

Ok, if someone is interested on these cases just send me a private e-mail and we can create a order list. I can research for a cheap shipping method, it is just a matter if someone is going to be interested...

Hi Pitbull,

I remember your nick from several eBay auctions. I think it's a good nick to use on eBay (scaring... :-D but I have managed to win almost every auction we were bidding along :-) ).

The cases look a lot like Coleco cases for 2600 (but black, maybe cause CCE used this same format), but the photo isn't very clear. I asked about a sample unit...

They just make cases for 2600 (and MSX computers). The others Atari systems were never sold here, so very few people know them.

I would like to make it clear I am not selling it. I was asked about it and just want to help someone here planning on making VCS carts, since I am currently making a game myself (for CV, not 2600)...

Sounds like a great offer Vgbelloq, helping to make a order for anyone interested. :D After seeing this message thread I thought I'd try a few things with a Atari 2600 Coleco game I have, Donkey Kong.

The Coleco game cases will not fit Atari brand PCB's, so that leaves out all the new PCB's available to game authors. The internal part of the case has a ridge that runs right over the chip on the Atari brand PCB's, so the ridge might be able to be cut to fit the Atari brand PCB's (But the PCB's would be loose inside the case). The original Coleco brand PCb's are much smaller than Atari brand PCB's.

I used a few of various loose Atari brand PCB's I have (From old games that I used their cases for projects). All of them did work inside the case on my Atari 2600, but the case would not close properly. The Atari brand PCB's have two notches on the sides towards the rear of the PCB, and they seems to fit into the screw holes of the case.

Perhaps the Brazilian Coleco game cases are made for the Atari brand PCB's, one can always hope. Does anyone know if the game cases are the same as the Coleco Atari 2600 game cases here in North America?

If the case does or can be modified to fit the new PCB's then the only problem would be to make labels the correct size. After all the Coleco label is one part, Main and End label together, and is smaller than a Atari label. Labels could be made in two parts, that way the labels could be laminated otherwise the wrap around portion wouldn't work very good.

For the little amount of work and effort to make them work, it may be worth it to have brand new game cases without having to remove the old Atari labels and glue residue. ;)

Hi Junie!

It's a interesting point. To be honest I believe that they aren't exactly Coleco cases but CCE cases instead. I don't know if you guys know about CCE carts but they are shaped much like normal Coleco carts just without the Coleco name. Now, I don't know about the internals. I can sacrifice a CCE cart and take a look.

Anyway they are going to send me a sample, so I think it's better to wait...

My Space Invaders webpage is www.geocities.com/vgbelloq

I can't believe it!!!

If you take a close look at the photo showing the Atari cart in Patola's site (www.patola.com.br), you will find the cart looks like a standard Coleco cart for ColecoVision!!! I am not kidding!

But you will also see the cart does have the two bolts bellow for plugging like a VCS cart and a small hole on side, probably to place a switch for game bank selecting.

It's amazing!