IGNORED

ATARIVOX NEED HELP!

kotep

umm i just got the atari vox for my 2600...can anyone please help as to how i use this thing.......im also using a mac so im not even sure if can do this......do i need a supercharger? (have one on the way)

any help is appreciated....the rtf file wasnt much help...and im not deep into computer programming...

thanks in advance...

tim

The AtariVox plugs directly into the second joystick port of any 2600 or 7800 system. For audio output, you will need to plug in a set of PC speakers or headphones. The AtariVox includes an onboard volume adjustment that can be accessed above the audio jack with a small flathead screwdriver.

What does 'I got it for my 2600 but I'm using a Mac' mean?

Are you using a real 2600 or an emulator on the Mac or trying to do both?

It should work on the real 2600 just by plugging it into joystick port #2

On an emulator, if it's even supported, you would probably need the Stelladaptor and set that up as joystick #2

Edited by godzillajoe

no i understand how it connects and everything but what the hell do i do with it?

in another thread they responded about programming it.....do i need to use a supercharger? i just got one.....

the connections are easy but now what?

The Atarivox is a device which provides a speech / sound synthesizer and memory to save data such as high scores and game settings. It's a peripheral that can be used by games for the 2600/7800, but only if they are specifically programmed for it. I think that there are 4 homebrews that use it at the moment (Fall Down,Go Fish!,Strat-O-Gems Deluxe,AStar), and only two use the speech sythetizer (the other use only the memory to save high score and settings). Other games/programs are in development (Man Goes Down, Loopcart).

The supercharger was a device which plugged in the vcs cart port and allowed games to be loaded from tapes. With specific software you can create audio files from rom images and load them connecting the supercharger to the sound board of a PC, but you cannot load games bigger than 4kbytes and not all the 4k games are compatible too. (I think that the games which use the speech synthetizer of the Atarivox are bigger than 4k, so you can't use a supercharger to try them.)

Use the search function, you'll find tons of info about them on AA.

so im guessing the 2 games (which of those 4 are the 2 that work?) just use the atarivox to play whats already been programmed in the game? so it is just an add-on so the game can use it? if so then i dont really see the point of it....maybe i am confused....

maybe when the loopcart comes out it will a good thing to have....

so it is just an add on so the programmed game can use it to play its speech synthesis?

Edited by kotep

...which of those 4 are the 2 that work?...

According to AA store Strat-O-Gems Deluxe and Fall Down have speech synthesis.

maybe when the loopcart comes out it will a good thing to have....

I checked Paul Slocum's website and seems that the loopcart uses the Atarivox to store/load sequences, but not for generating sound or speech.

There's an unfinished alpha version you can download on the site. It's 4k and you can load it into the supercharger.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

That's incorrect. As Richard H. pointed out below, it's clearly specified "some support for the AtariVox speech chip too" on the page, but I missed that line the first time I checked it. I don't know if the support is already in the alpha version, though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here you'll find the software and info to transform the bin image into the audio file needed by the supercharger.

Edited by alex_79