IGNORED

"Videogames @ Internet Prices!"

Emehr

So there are two shops that opened in town recently. One of them had "Games" in the name so I thought, "Hey a new used VG store!" Nope. It was a role-playing store only. Not what I was expecting but okay, on to the next one. This next store has no name but they have a vinyl banner by the road that reads "Music, Movies and Video Games @ Internet Prices". Now I'm not sure exactly what that's supposed to mean. Like, is "the internet" supposed to be a haven for good deals and low prices? Spending most of my time on AtariAge, I would have liked to believe so as I've had some nice trades and buys with folks on here.

Anyway we (my g/f and I) walk into the store and I spy with my eye NES carts under the countertop so I proceed immediately there. There's also a bevy of SNES, Genny, GB, and N64 games. I'm scanning the NES games: Super Mario Bros. 3....$15. *gasp* Still scanning: Super Mario Bros....$10. Oookay I think seen enough. I think the lowest price for an NES game was $7. SNES and Genny carts were at these same "internet prices".

My g/f and I proceeded to walk out. To top it all off, the guy running the place spoke one word to us and had this annoying gangsta music video playing on a TV on the counter. Yep, shopping for video games and gangsta music go together like the internet and low prices.

So that was my weekend VG experience. Garage sales should be starting up soon so maybe I can get lucky with "garage sale prices".

That is sad. I went into a local comic book store yesterday that sometimes has games. They had NES Pinball for $8. That was in the "cheap" pile. Saw all I needed to see.

See with a store like that I would look extra hard. They are just as likely to have a Hot Slots for $20 as well because they probably have no idea what the stuff is worth.

That is sad. I went into a local comic book store yesterday that sometimes has games. They had NES Pinball for $8. That was in the "cheap" pile. Saw all I needed to see.

See with a store like that I would look extra hard. They are just as likely to have a Hot Slots for $20 as well because they probably have no idea what the stuff is worth.

Yeah, I know what your saying, $8 for commons maybe also $8 for a rare cart. Comic book guys tend to know the value of stuff in their store. He probably knows his prices are a bit high but figures maybe someone will buy it anyway.

Yeah, I know what your saying, $8 for commons maybe also $8 for a rare cart. Comic book guys tend to know the value of stuff in their store. He probably knows his prices are a bit high but figures maybe someone will buy it anyway.

I think that would depend on the comic book guy. There's some that are into the collectibles, but you also have the ones that, if it's not a comic, or directly related, they're not interested at all.

With that said, I'd have at least looked to see if it was an across-the-board price, or if it varied from cart to cart.

So there are two shops that opened in town recently. One of them had "Games" in the name so I thought, "Hey a new used VG store!" Nope. It was a role-playing store only. Not what I was expecting but okay, on to the next one. This next store has no name but they have a vinyl banner by the road that reads "Music, Movies and Video Games @ Internet Prices". Now I'm not sure exactly what that's supposed to mean. Like, is "the internet" supposed to be a haven for good deals and low prices? Spending most of my time on AtariAge, I would have liked to believe so as I've had some nice trades and buys with folks on here.

Anyway we (my g/f and I) walk into the store and I spy with my eye NES carts under the countertop so I proceed immediately there. There's also a bevy of SNES, Genny, GB, and N64 games. I'm scanning the NES games: Super Mario Bros. 3....$15. *gasp* Still scanning: Super Mario Bros....$10. Oookay I think seen enough. I think the lowest price for an NES game was $7. SNES and Genny carts were at these same "internet prices".

My g/f and I proceeded to walk out. To top it all off, the guy running the place spoke one word to us and had this annoying gangsta music video playing on a TV on the counter. Yep, shopping for video games and gangsta music go together like the internet and low prices.

So that was my weekend VG experience. Garage sales should be starting up soon so maybe I can get lucky with "garage sale prices".

Wow! Maybe they would sell you a Super Mario Bros 1/Duckhunt for the low price of $14. :roll: :sad:

I think the hwole idea of a brick and mortar store carrying classic video games is pretty cool, but the prices need to be lower. But then again, their costs are going to be higher than I virtual store as the'll have to pay rent, utilities, and store staff.

Gangsta Rap with Retro Video Games. Very bad mix.

Buying games at shops in Japan is proving interesting price-wise. While there's TONS of bargains to be had like a boxed copy of Quarth for FC for ~$2, Yume Penguin Monogatari loose for $7, working, good-condition Super Famicom systems and white Sega Saturns for $2-$5 apiece, etc. there's also some incredible price-gouging; like the ~$19 I had to pay for SMB3 (loose), or ~$38 for Super Mario Collection (a.k.a. All-stars). Ridiculous! It seems like if it's a first party Nintendo title the price is automatically raised to fuck you over. For what I paid for that SMB3 cart I got a whole working FC Model 1 with all its hookups. :P

Edited by Epicenter

"Videogames @ internet prices"...

Emehr, not visit these threadcities much, do ya?

"Internet prices" invariably means "whatever the current high bid at ebay for the game is", meaning a gouging price for the item in question. All the regulars here know that by now.

Really, any time you see such a sign, ask yourself "what would Gamestop do?"

And then walk away as fast as you can. :lol: