IGNORED

Atari 2600 A-VCS-tec Challenge

Albert

http://www.atariage.com/development_page.h...evelopmentID=39Simon Quernhorst, author of the Atari 2600 homebrew game Mental Kombat (which is very near to shipping), has revealed his next 2600 project: A-VCS-tec Challenge. This will be a conversion of Aztec Challenge on the Commodore 64. The Atari 2600 version of the game will comprise of the original games's arcade-like first level, called "The Gauntlet". Simon also plans on incorporating the memorable soundtrack from the Commodore 64 version into his Atari 2600 port. Thus far Simon has programmed the title screen, which you can see here.

What will gameplay consist of? I seem to recall this game I think.... But I thought it was a platform looking game where you went into an aztec pyramid or something??? Maybe I'm wrong on that one tho. In any case... i hope they have a lable contest for the game.

What will gameplay consist of?

I think the original Commodore 64 game consists of seven different levels, each with unique gameplay. However, the first level of the game involves you running towards a pyramid, while arrows are being shot at you from the sides. You can see screenshots of this here. Will be interesting to see how this turns out on the 2600. I'd also like to hear the music from the C64 version to get an idea of the challenges facing Simon in getting the music over to the 2600. :)

..Al

Cool. It wasn't the game I was thinking of... But it has potential!

It would be cool to have the arrows screen and the rolling rocks screen and you "WIN" by making it into the pyramid... But since I know how hard it is to produce these games... The first screen would be enough for me to want a copy!!

I'd like a new label compo too.  Can't imagine Simon would ever do it again though. :evil:

There are two potential label contests in the works, although neither is related to Simon's new game. It's still far too early in development to consider a label contest for this, and I have no idea what Simon's feelings on the subject are. :)

..Al

There are two potential label contests in the works

Any chance you can tell us which titles are considering it? I'd love to be able to start looking for props for some photos.

(I found about half a dozen toy castles at various swap-meets in the month after the close of the Castle Blast compo.)

Talking about "Aztec Challenge": most of the people I spoke to only knew about the first level (named "The Gauntlet"), because they never finished it and never advanced to the other levels. I think that a lot of people consider "Aztec Challenge" consisting ONLY of that first level. :)

IMHO: the first level is great and the seventh level is good, but the levels in between are not that good. Therefore I want to make a more arcade-style game of the first level containing different pyramids and temples to run towards and run at day/night etc. We'll see.

Concerning the label? I wouldn't have bad feelings towards holding a labelcontest for this game, but 1.) the game development is at the VERY beginning and 2.) due to the fact that it was released back then for the c64 I imagine using a modified version of the original cover-artwork.

But at first I have to finish the production of "Mental Kombat". :D

Simon

...I want to make a more arcade-style game of the first level containing different pyramids and temples to run towards and run at day/night etc.

This is cool Simon. A game about Aztecs is something I am really excited about. With a screen name like Tizoc, how could I not?

The original music for this game is great! The riff that repeats underneath most of the tune is awesome.

There were some things I never liked about the original C64 graphics though. The Aztecs looked more like 'Egyptians'. The Aztecs had very colorful Costumes.

As you run to the temple it looks like you are in the desert. Again, that Egypt thing. :?: Tenochtitlan was built on a lake. Yes, on top of a lake. No yellow sand.

The ideas of the different temples is great, as Aztec cities were collections of temples and buldings. If you can make it more accurate than the original that would be nice, but in the end it is your game and you can do whatever you want.

Whatever you do with this game, it should be a good one. I can hardly wait! Good coding!

Talking about "Aztec Challenge": most of the people I spoke to only knew about the first level (named "The Gauntlet"), because they never finished it and never advanced to the other levels. I think that a lot of people consider "Aztec Challenge" consisting ONLY of that first level.      :

Well, I am one of the few who know the other levels. :D

I remember a level where you have to swim across a river and are attacked by "piranhas". At that time, I only had a B/W TV, and there you couldn't see the fishes at all, because their brightness was identical to the water. Very frustrating. :(

So Aztec Challenge was the very first game I tried, when I finally got my color TV. :)

Wow, never played Aztec Challenge before. But after I read about the new game in Development I have try it on the C64. he first level is very nice. :D

And the 7th is great, as Simon say.

A great game at all. The waterlevel was long, but I have saved and everytime I died, I load it at the point where I not died. So I have done it in some minutes. :)

Aztec Challenge by Cosmi? Played it often, my friends. That, Super Huey, and Forbidden Forest were my C64 "go-to" games.

Let's see, what levels do I remember (Don't remember the actual level titles though...)...

1. The "Gauntlet." You run towards the pyramid while spears come at your head and feet. Gotta jump and duck to get to the pyramid, which grows in height as you get near.

2. The "Climb." You race up the stairs along the side of the pyramid, climbing to the top. Giant stone blocks tumble down towards you and you must dogde 'em.

3. The "Temple Interior." Once in the pyramid, there's a room with large stone blocks on the floor. You must jump from stone to stone and cross the room. However, some of the stones are boobytrapped. Arrows fly out if you land on the wrong block. Kind of like a maze game.

4. The "Bridge." Now you're racing across a bridge with large broken gaps in it. You must jump low, medium, or high to get across. (Different gaps require different jumps.) However, just jumping "high" won't work, because you may clear a "small" gap, only to go plunging into a gap you jumped INTO. I always ate it at this stage.

I'm kind of proud that I remembered this much. I'm *really* looking forward to this game.

Here the texts from the game. I hope I have write all right:

1 The Gauntlet

Run toward the Temple dodging spears thrown from either side.

Pull back on the stick to duck. Push forward to jump.

2 The Stairs

Run up the stairs of the Temple while stone blocks are roller down at you.

Push left & right on the stick to move.

3 The Temple

Enter the Temple through a series of rooms protected by various devices.

Hold stick left to stop. Right to jump.

4 The Vermin

Pass thru the dark heart of the Temple avoiding the friendly fauna of Mexico.

Push up for high jump. Back for low.

5 Hopaztec

The exit from the Temple is covered with Booby-Trapped tiles.

Jump froward. Back or sideways to find a safe path across.

6 Piranha

Swin the lake in any direction and dive (Fire Button) for a second to avoid the Man-Eating fish.

But keep going forward.

7 The Bridge

Freedom is a hop. Skip & run away across a harrow bridge over a deep ravine.

Back is a low jump. Left -- medium. Forward - high.

:) :) :)

@ Thomas: I'm not going to include a B/W-mode for this game. ;)

I think that "Aztec Challenge" is the one c64-game that contained the most bugs. A lot of multicolor-graphics are shown in monochrome colors, every scroll-routine has got bugs, the sprites in the "Vermin" are positioned very badly, and so on. But hey: it was 1983 and nevertheless it is a great game!

@ MattyXB: If I remember it right, the game always restarted at the level where you died on. No need to save/reload a game.

I think that the worst level is "Hopaztec", because that is pure luck. You can't react anymore when you see a spear coming towards you...

@ Tizoc: I spent some weeks in may in Mexico (Yucatan) and visited a lot of Mayan temples and ruins. I expect i.e. the temple of Kukulcan (at Chichen Itza) to be included in my game aswell. So it's not purely being "Aztec", it's "A-VCS-tec". :D

In the Atari version you will have to run on plain fields aswell, these fields are going to be desert, earth, gras, ... . I know that there is mostly jungle in the aztec and maya region, but that would be impossible for the gameplay.

@ all: Thanks for you posts.

Does anyone have got a disk-original of "Aztec Challenge"? I have got the complete tape-original, but am searching for the complete disk aswell.

Simon

Does anyone have got a disk-original of "Aztec Challenge"? I have got the complete tape-original, but am searching for the complete disk aswell.

If I can remember where I stuffed what's left of the C64 collection I recently bought I'll check for you.

I wish I had enough space to setup my C64, but it needs a lot of space even compared to a MegaDrive I. With a disk or tape drive beside it, it even rivals the Mega CD 2.

Simon also plans on incorporating the memorable soundtrack from the Commodore 64 version into his Atari 2600 port.

Ooops, that reminds me of something.

Sorry, Simon, all the World Cup kept me from touching my computer at home for days. I'll answer your waiting mail soon, right now I'll just say:

Yes, I'll give it a try! (You know what I mean :) )

Greetings,

Manuel

I have only ROMs for Emulator.

a PRG and a TAP file.

But I think this is not what you searching?  :?  

No. As written above I'm only searching for the disk original with box and docs. Finding c64 images on the net is not too hard BTW, I could leech myself. :D

@ krisjohn: Looking forward to an answer from you, would be great to get that item.

@ Cybergoth: Manuel, that'd be great. Check it out and tell me via mail.

Simon

Speaking of c64-Music: Have you ever heard of the Band "Press Play On Tape"? They play c64-tunes using normal music instruments (drums, guitars, ...).

I was lucky to see them play a concert at The Party 2000 in Aars, Denmark (http://www.theparty.dk) where they played 13 songs including Out Run, Warhawk, Commando, and ... AZTEC CHALLENGE!

There is a link at their homepage http://www.pressplayontape.com/download.asp to http://remix.kwed.org where you can download some of the live-tracks including AZTEC CHALLENGE.

These tracks really rock (Commando and Out Run are my favorites). :D

Enjoy!

Simon

@ krisjohn: Looking forward to an answer from you, would be great to get that item.

Looks like I don't have it. All I've got remaining from the collection I bought is;

Stealth Fighter

Flight Sim II

Nodes of Yesod

Star Raiders II

and two compilations each with a Gauntlet.

Oh, and a heap of Geos stuff.

I turned that purchase around pretty quickly back when I needed the money. Turned A$25 into about $150 in only a few weeks. Funded other purchases.

I have a friend with an old C64 collection, but I'm not sure I can convince him to dig it out of storage. Whenever he feels the need he powers up an emulator.

I'll keep an eye out.

@ Albert: the mp3 is much to the original, but I think that the music which I know from the c64 game is a bit slower due to NTSC/PAL reasons.

@ bcsnow: after you finished the 7th level, the game restarts at level one and increases the "Phase" counter by 1. I don't feel like the game gets harder, it's just for striving for a highscore until you die.

Simon

DUUHH!...Does anyone here have any DUH! feedback on the quality of the DUH! Sega Master System version of DUH! Aztec Challenge versus the DUH! original ?  I'm looking at DUH! picking up the DUH! SMS version...

I was hoping someone would respond because this was a TRICK! ;)

Oh well.... The SMS game is AZTEC ADVENTURE... .. and it is not the same game [duh!]... (as I found out when I opened my newly arrived package today and fired it up in my SMS...)