IGNORED

Generation NEX FDS Zelda 1 video

Interesting, I didn't know the NEX supported the external sound hardware of the FDS, but it does. Shame that the internal sound is off pitch.

Most FDS games use the internal NES/Famicom sound hardware, there's an additional channel with the FDS that I believe does not work with the clones. Also, some Famicom cart games had extra sound chips which will not work in the clones.

While we're on that subject, do both NES models support the FDS wavetable channel and external sound chips?

While we're on that subject, do both NES models support the FDS wavetable channel and external sound chips?

Ignoring the physical difficulties, the NES can't support the FDS channel or the external sound chips. I want to say that the system can be modified to enable it, but I'm probably very wrong.

Ignoring the physical difficulties, the NES can't support the FDS channel or the external sound chips. I want to say that the system can be modified to enable it, but I'm probably very wrong.

It can't be easily modified to do it through the cart slot(all the NES-side pins are spoken for, and I doubt stealing the lockout pin contacts would be an easy mod), but you CAN put a tap on the Famicom-> NES adapter to do it easily.

As I understand things, the Famicom mixed the final fully-amplified audio, so it should be a very easy mod. Could steal the audio right out of the RCA jack and you'd never have to mod the system.

Edited by JB

Funny how years later, after the mob has moved on, more measured opinions of the NEX come out.

The mob mentality that prevailed NEX wise before changed the way I look at forums forever. More proof that it's easy for a dogpile to grow, but reasoned responses and fair and critical reviews from people who actually try it are not as interesting to most.

I heard that the NEX was a big conspiracy to replace NES's and purposely mislead the online gaming community. Also that Playmessiah eats babies and sells black tar heroin. I suppose you'll claim this to be untrue as well.