IGNORED

My uncommon find on commons

The MilkMan

Pick up a few boxed commons. Nothing to get excited about, until...I opened the box. I pulled out a rolled up slip of paper that was shoved into a corner in the box. It was a sale receipt for the purchase of Boxing!

Not only that, but the date (3.29.80) was the same as the day I bought it (3.29.07)! How flipping crazy!!!

I just thought that was the coolest ever.

Yes, they were .94 each.

post-3154-1175267508_thumb.jpg

And people complain about prices today!!!!!!!!!

Agreed - and I'm one of the complainers! ;) However, this is mysterious to me. I remember buying games for my computers and consoles in the mid '80s - early '90s, and I don't remember the prices being this high. Did I only shop the bargain bin??? LOL! I got a game for the Genesis in a lot off off eBay last year that had one of the sports titles in it (can't remember which - possibly a Joe Montana), and the price tag was still on it. $79.95!!! Did games really cost this much, and if so, why don't I remember it? $79.95 in the early nineties would be about $110 today!!! :-o :-o :-o Kinda makes the current line-up of PS3 titles out there and forthcoming look like veritable bargains! Yeesh!

--Timster--

This isn't as interesting (or freaky) as yours

but I got this today. No date but original

price tag £49.95 ($98)!! :)

post-12690-1175293431_thumb.jpg

Yeah, and use that handy "inflation adjustment" calculator program floating around the net and you'll find the equivalent "today's" price is much worse.

BTW, when Defender was released for the 2600 here it was $79.99....fast forward a couple of years and they were dumped on mass at $0.99 (during the crash).....this left a bad taste in many parents mouth :|

My first games for the VCS (as I called it) were few and far between in those days (1981ish)

due to my mother not having a great deal of cash. Especially for "toys".

But I do remember Super Cobra, which I got one Christmas, costing £35 ($70)

although it did come with a free copy of Amidar. :D

How do we know that price tag wasn't applied sometime later by someone who thought the game was rare and worth $98.00?

I think it would be easier to fake a cartridge than to fake a price tag from the 70's/80's, especially since it would be quite obvious if the sticker had been added sometime afterwards...!

~G

Oh, here is what I picked up. All with instructions, and found another receipt from '81.

Very cool finds! I occasionally find receipts in with my Atari finds as well, and I save all of them.

Check inside that Boxing cart for the elusive foam...1980 is about the right time when Boxing was first released, so chances are good that the foam is intact. :cool:

post-2095-1175452441_thumb.jpg

...I got a game for the Genesis ... and the price tag was still on it. $79.95!!! Did games really cost this much.

Well in the UK they did.

Probably with the exception of the home computer boom (ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 etc) when a top title may cost £10 ($20) but you had a huge selection to choose from starting at £2 ($4) I think most games have cost the same sort of cost. I can remember Atari 2600 titles costing upwards of £30 ($60) and I have Megadrive & Snes titles with original price tags of £30-40 ($60-80). I also recently bought a PS2 (just 'cos it was cheap) and when I looked out some of my older PS1 games they had the original stickers on too (Wip3out, Tekken 2, FF VII and Resident Evil - £49.99 - $100)!!!

On the other hand I bought an Xbox 360 at Xmas for my son :roll: and in the last

3 months I haven't spent more than £25 ($50) on a game thanks to buying online.

Oh, here is what I picked up. All with instructions, and found another receipt from '81.

Very cool finds! I occasionally find receipts in with my Atari finds as well, and I save all of them.

Check inside that Boxing cart for the elusive foam...1980 is about the right time when Boxing was first released, so chances are good that the foam is intact. :cool:

poop, i got nothing.

One day when I was going through a mountain of papers from my family home when preparing to move, I found the original sales receipt from when my parents bought my sister and I the VCS adaptor for ColecoVision for Christmas, and for Asteroids and Pac-Man, the two carts that we got with it.

They were bought December 16, 1982; the adapter cost 129.95 Canadian, Pac-Man cost 39.88 CDN and Asteroids cost 44.88 CDN. My parents were good to us that year.

Easily the most treasured part of my collection, since both my parents are now deceased.

One day when I was going through a mountain of papers from my family home when preparing to move, I found the original sales receipt from when my parents bought my sister and I the VCS adaptor for ColecoVision for Christmas, and for Asteroids and Pac-Man, the two carts that we got with it.

They were bought December 16, 1982; the adapter cost 129.95 Canadian, Pac-Man cost 39.88 CDN and Asteroids cost 44.88 CDN. My parents were good to us that year.

Easily the most treasured part of my collection, since both my parents are now deceased.

Way cool.

Somewhere on here I posted a christmas pic of myself sitting next to my dad Christmas day. He is unpacking the new Atari. If I found the reciept for that purchase...that would be quite a magical find!

Yeah, I was envious of that pic and the others, cuz I don't have anything like that.

Speaking only for myself, I got into collecting solely for the nostalgia (I only collect for the CV since that was what I had when I was young, plus the VCS carts I had back then), and considering I don't have the actual stuff my parents bought for me back then, the receipts really make me feel good about my collection.

Agreed - and I'm one of the complainers! ;) However, this is mysterious to me. I remember buying games for my computers and consoles in the mid '80s - early '90s, and I don't remember the prices being this high. Did I only shop the bargain bin??? LOL! I got a game for the Genesis in a lot off off eBay last year that had one of the sports titles in it (can't remember which - possibly a Joe Montana), and the price tag was still on it. $79.95!!! Did games really cost this much, and if so, why don't I remember it? $79.95 in the early nineties would be about $110 today!!! :-o :-o :-o Kinda makes the current line-up of PS3 titles out there and forthcoming look like veritable bargains! Yeesh!

--Timster--

Maybe that's why the games in question are still complete with price tags on them. Nobody bought them at that price and they sat around unopened.

[edit: well, I guess in this case they were obviously sold since he found the receipt. But generally, the games from overpriced shops are more likely to still be in boxes.]

Edited by gdement