Guitarman

Tips/Tricks/Products Used In Restoration

for those trying to do full articulate restoration

---snip---

they are iridite treated brushed aluminum when coming from factory a clear plastic protective film covered them as well. depending on the factory it would be considered a chromate coating and arguments about whether it's iridite or clear alodine may ensue.....

---snip---

just to give some food for though...

https://www.finishing.com/448/95.shtml

https://www.pegasusa...nstructions.pdf

I just quick search my terms after the earlier post, I have not checked all the info these sites provide, but a skimming says close enough...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Yes, those replacement case badges are way too thick with their plastic backing. I carefully sanded mine down last summer (800XL and 600XL) and used 3M 467 tape to attach them permanently.

Here's a before and after photo..

Very nice! How did you sand the badge and how much did you have to sand off? Looks great!

Very nice! How did you sand the badge and how much did you have to sand off? Looks great!

To fit recessed like the original badge, the backing plastic needs to be sanded wafer thin. I did this by laying out some 400 grit on a flat surface and I placed blu tack along the top of the badge to give me something to grip to. I sanded slowly and without much pressure making sure to hold three fingers along the full length of the badge evenly to avoid the badge snagging and subsequently kinking. Luckily the backing plastic is soft and sands down quite quickly.

Also the (600XL) case has a 0.5-1.0mm raised plateau where the badge sits; you can carefully chissle that out to lower it a bit.

Anyone here know how to repair cracks and restore pieces missing from an 800 case? I had the worst luck and dropped my 800 while moving it. 😪

This is an awesome topic btw.

Thanks,

Mike

Not sure if this is widely known, spankin' new 1200xl keyboard was $30 on eBay, though "Atari" and "1200xl" were nowhere in the description,

Radio Shack catalog #277-1018.

1200.jpg

Does anyone have a good paint colour match for the original 800 case?

On 3/25/2014 at 9:25 AM, flashjazzcat said:

I just fixed the missing lug on the drop-down flap on the aforementioned spray-painted 1084S thus:

post-21964-0-32954200-1395764629_thumb.jpg

Drilled a 2mm dia hole about 1.5-2mm into the back of the cover (so it didn't go right through to the front), and then drove in a screw with a slightly wider thread (not self-tapping: the thread has to cut in immediately). It's surprisingly sturdy.

Nice work on this 1084S. I have one that's fortunately cosmetically pristine. It needed a power switch (done) and it needs the V-Size trimpot re-ranged (maybe add a resistor in series) to allow me enough adjustment to squeeze an entire PAL viewing area in. At min adjustment there's a bit too much in the overscan region, and there's far too much stretch for any practical purpose at max. But it also needs that lug fixed, and now I know how.

I have a 1950 that I repaired (PCB broken nearly in half through the HV section) but is all shades of yellow and is badly banged up to boot. I could be inspired to give it the paint after seeing your result.