IGNORED

Wild Western!

Tempest

Ok now that we have revealed thats is was an April Fool's Joke Please Finnsh Up this game so its at Least Playable.

Please. PLEASE PLEASE

Oooh! That's even cooler! Now we can bug Eduardo to finish it! :D

Well, that didn't take long, now did it, Eduardo? :P

I tried your "protoype" too on an Emulator. Looks very promising... considering the fact that the Colecovision (like any TMS9918 based system) is only able to do 4 sprites per scanline. But "Wild Western" already has got a "flicker logic" built in to work around this problem. You'll see what I mean if you line up your cowboy with one of the enemy cowboys and the smoke of the locomotive.

I think the best thing about the arcade original was the music... this was the first version of "(Ghost) Riders in the sky" I heard, and it sounds pretty good, although it's rather short. The way it's played reminds me a bit of the group Hot Butter. Their biggest hit was "Popcorn", but on their LP they also have some country tunes played in a similar fashion, like "Apache" for instance. They don't cover "Riders in the sky", however...

I think the music should be doable in a similar fashion on two of the sound generators. If you use the noise generator for the trippling horses (which tripple in sync with the music), the 3rd sound generator should be free for the sound effects.

Ok, so let me clarify some points here:

About the date string, it was intentional. 040184 would be too obvious, so I decided to use the European format. Besides, the format was a clue that the “prototype” hadn’t been created in the US.

About the “prototype” itself, it started as a proof of concept, to see if a good port of WW would be created. My main concerns were the train and having quasi-smooth scrolling. The train turned out better than I was expecting initially, and the scrolling, while not terribly varied in this particular build, has the potential to include many more elements. I mean, by my calculations all the original sceneries would be represented, including the bridge, the fort, more desert elements.

Finally, this fake proto was done the old way, by “visual inspection”, which means I didn’t use any of the arcade code. Thus, many elements could work better if ported the proper way.

About finishing the game, it isn’t something I plan to do now, maybe down the road, but not in the short term. We have a lot of ongoing projects which I need to complete first, including possibly two arcade ports for next year.

Now back to work… :)

Eduardo

A good joke to be sure. Tempest got we with the whole "this isn't an April fools joke, trust me guys, come on -- would I lie to you?".

That's why I asked Tempest to help me, cause he's very trustable.... Well, maybe he isn't that trustable anymore... ;) :D

Eduardo

The first tip-off that this port of Wild Western was a hoax was that it looked like a good conversion. If this had been by Coleco (the holders of the Wild Western license in 1984), the game would have used the stock font built into the ColecoVision, and the sprites wouldn't have looked anything like their arcade counterparts.

JR