IGNORED

Official SG-1000 to ColecoVision poll

Pixelboy

Official SG-1000 to ColecoVision poll  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which game among these would you like to see ported to the ColecoVision?

• C-So!
    • Drol
    • Flicky
    • Girl's Garden
    • Ninja Princess
    • Pitfall II (Arcade)
    • Sega Flipper
    • Sindbad Mystery
    • Soukoban
    • Star Force

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Pixelboy, thanks for your reply.

The SG-1000 only has 1K of RAM, AFAIK.

Interesting -- the Wikipedia page lists it as 2K. Should I correct it? If there are reliable tech specs somewhere on the web, I could use them as a cited reference.

Lode Runner and Penguin Land were ported by Steve Begin, and those are the only SG-1000 games I know of that made it all the way to CV cartridge format. He had also started porting Pacar, but he encountered difficulties and never finished it.

These are only available in cart form, right?

Bruce says his CV port of Black Onyx is finished, but unless I'm mistaken, there are still a few bugs left in his port that need to be addressed. Time-Bandit took it upon himself to port Gulkave, and that one is still a WIP as far as I know.

Both of those are things I'm sure many of us would love to see in finished form. Black Onyx was particularly exciting, since it's a translation of a very seminal game. Did Time-Bandit post ROMs of his Gulkave WIP?

I'm still trying to figure out which titles are exclusive to the SG-1000 and related systems (other than the sports and board games, that is). Besides Girl's Garden, the candidates seem to be:

Golgo 13

Space Slalom

Pacar

Orguss

Dragon Wang

Am I missing any? Was Safari Race remade for the SMS? What about Space Armor (on the Othello Multivision)?

One of the things I like about the SG-1000 is that its library is small enough so that you can get familiar with all of it, but it's a robust enough machine that most of the games are worthwhile. Plus the graphic architecture feels familiar, since it's so similar to the ColecoVision, MSX, and TI.

Edited by thegoldenband

The SG-1000 only has 1K of RAM, AFAIK.

Interesting -- the Wikipedia page lists it as 2K. Should I correct it? If there are reliable tech specs somewhere on the web, I could use them as a cited reference.

I can't say for certain that it's only 1K. But on the other hand, this site says it's 32 to 64K, which goes to show you can't trust everything you read on the net. :) Bruce Tomlin could probably answer this question in a cold second.

Lode Runner and Penguin Land were ported by Steve Begin, and those are the only SG-1000 games I know of that made it all the way to CV cartridge format. He had also started porting Pacar, but he encountered difficulties and never finished it.

These are only available in cart form, right?

Yep. :)

Bruce says his CV port of Black Onyx is finished, but unless I'm mistaken, there are still a few bugs left in his port that need to be addressed. Time-Bandit took it upon himself to port Gulkave, and that one is still a WIP as far as I know.

Both of those are things I'm sure many of us would love to see in finished form. Black Onyx was particularly exciting, since it's a translation of a very seminal game. Did Time-Bandit post ROMs of his Gulkave WIP?

Nope, TB kept his work on Gulkave private, and never released the ROM.

I'm still trying to figure out which titles are exclusive to the SG-1000 and related systems (other than the sports and board games, that is). Besides Girl's Garden, the candidates seem to be:

Golgo 13

Space Slalom

Hustle Chumy

Pacar

Orguss

Dragon Wang

Am I missing any? Was Safari Race remade for the SMS? What about Space Armor (on the Othello Multivision)?

Might want to drop by the Museum at smspower.org, more especially the scans section. You might find some answers there. If not, you can always post your question on the SMSPower forum. It's probably the best place to find answers.

Oh, BTW, in case you guys haven't noticed, voting on this poll is pointless because (a) the poll officially ended on April 7th 2007, and (b) Eduardo will not be porting any SG-1000 game for me after all. It's too bad really, I would have enjoyed playing Pitfall II Arcade on the ColecoVision ... :(

P.S.: I never cared for Bank Panic, to be honest, although I recognize that the SG-1000 port is excellent.

• 11 months later...

A year or so later, I've gotten friendly with my SG-1000 library again, thanks to the excellent CrabEmu emulator for OS X. For the record, it doesn't have the color palette issues that cause problems in SMS Plus, and several games that won't work in SMS Plus (like The Castle) will run in CrabEmu. However, since the most recent release (0.1.9) has some sound problems on my machine, I've been sticking with 0.1.8.

I don't think I ever did post to SMSPower about exclusive SG-1000 titles. If and when I do, I could post a list here for those who may be interested. I'm assuming there have been no further SG-1000 to CV ports?

Edited by thegoldenband

I have just discover this tread as it raised up.

Just a question about Bank Panic.

Do you think it would be possible to use a light gun on the coleco?

For instance a SMS zapper or a Atari 8bit Ligh gun?

Hi Youki... icon_smile.gif

From what I've read, a Light Gun will not work with the new flat-screen televisions.

If true, it would not be worthwhile to invest money in it.

As you know, it ebbs soon out of the ordinary television.

From what I've read, a Light Gun will not work with the new flat-screen televisions.

Yes, you need special lightgun for this kind of screen.

but in the case , i still use a old crt screen with my colecovision, could we use a light gun? I mean is it possible to make some code to read data coming from a sega Zapper or Atari 8bit Light gun. In my numerous project i have in my head , i was thinking about a adaption of Operation Wolf on coleco of course only if there is a way to manage the light gun.

Hi...

As we know, Colecovision was indeed not a full fledged MSX, so I do not know if there was "taken something off."

We know that Coleco saved much on quality.

Btw. Operation Wolf is also for the MSX, and for use with a Light Gun.

So maybe there could be made some code, or perhaps it can be integrated into the new Upgrade Module.

So chances are there, -maybe...

• 11 months later...

Considering Girl's Garden and Pitfall II Arcade will be released on the CV next October, I'd say this poll is obsolete. :ponder:

Also, Solomon's Key was never released for the SG-1000, but I do admit it would be a nice game to have on the CV. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

Also, Solomon's Key was never released for the SG-1000, but I do admit it would be a nice game to have on the CV. :)

Yep, it was a SMS release (or rather a Mark III release). I actually own it for some reason.

I played the NES version a lot. Time sure flies while you're playing it, which goes to show how good the game is. It's one of those "just one more level" puzzle games, you can't put it down once you get into it. :)

Has anyone made a list of all the SG-1000 games that have been ported to CV at this point? Here's what I know of:

Black Onyx (ported and translated by Bruce T.)

Elevator Action? (unreleased Opcode port? Not certain about this one)

Exerion (ported by Opcode, prototype sold at auction)

Girl's Garden (Team Pixelboy)

Gulkave (Team Pixelboy)

Lode Runner (Steve Begin)

Pacar (port started by Steve Begin - still unfinished?)

Penguin Land (CollectorVision)

Pitfall II Arcade (Team Pixelboy)

Sega Galaga (ported by Opcode, prototype sold at auction)

Zippy Race (CollectorVision)

Am I missing any?

I find this topic particularly interesting because the Master System/Mark III implementation of the SG-1000 graphics mode uses a totally incorrect palette, with no way to get around it. So ironically, the CV actually does a better job of representing these games than Sega's own hardware! :)

I also wonder whether the CV would be able to render a couple of the oddball Korean pirate games for the SMS that use SG-1000 mode, like Dr. Hello and Super Boy 2. I know they can't be backported to the SG-1000 because of RAM limitations, so I guess you'd need a cartridge with additional RAM.

Edited by thegoldenband

I find this topic particularly interesting because the Master System/Mark III implementation of the SG-1000 graphics mode uses a totally incorrect palette, with no way to get around it.

You mean that a Master System (SMS) is able to run SEGA SG 1000 cart???

I must try, i was looking desperatly for a SG 1000... but i own 4 or 5 master system (1 and 2 ) .. I didn't know i could play Sg 1000 game.(even with incorrect palette).

I find this topic particularly interesting because the Master System/Mark III implementation of the SG-1000 graphics mode uses a totally incorrect palette, with no way to get around it.

I must try, i was looking desperatly for a SG 1000... but i own 4 or 5 master system (1 and 2 ) .. I didn't know i could play Sg 1000 game.(even with incorrect palette).

I believe the Mark III can with an adapter, but that's different than the SMS.

Tempest

I'm told that the SMS can run SG-1000 ROMs from a flashcart, but that you need to edit the ROMs to add a header (which may get more involved if there's already program data where the header's supposed to go). I don't think it's possible to run SG-1000 cartridges on an unmodified Master System; at the very least you'd need an adapter and a BIOS replacement.

Has anyone made a list of all the SG-1000 games that have been ported to CV at this point? Here's what I know of:

Black Onyx (ported and translated by Bruce T.)

Elevator Action? (unreleased Opcode port? Not certain about this one)

Exerion (ported by Opcode, prototype sold at auction)

Girl's Garden (Team Pixelboy)

Gulkave (Team Pixelboy)

Lode Runner (Steve Begin)

Pacar (port started by Steve Begin - still unfinished?)

Penguin Land (CollectorVision)

Pitfall II Arcade (Team Pixelboy)

Sega Galaga (ported by Opcode, prototype sold at auction)

Zippy Race (CollectorVision)

Am I missing any?

Too lazy to make sure, but I think you listed them all. Lode Runner is supposed to be re-released by CollectorVision in the future, not sure what's going on with that. I don't know if Eduardo ever bothered to port Elevator Action, because I know he would prefer to port the ROM of the arcade game itself, given the choice.

Too lazy to make sure, but I think you listed them all. Lode Runner is supposed to be re-released by CollectorVision in the future, not sure what's going on with that. I don't know if Eduardo ever bothered to port Elevator Action, because I know he would prefer to port the ROM of the arcade game itself, given the choice.

I may be alone in this, but I like the SG-1000 version of Elevator Action a lot for some reason. :) Did anything ever happen with Bank Panic, by the way? I know that was in the pipeline at one point...

One title that'd be nice to see is Safari Hunting, since (other than a Dreamcast Easter egg) the SG-1000 port is the only home version of that arcade title. It'd need some cleanup and bug fixes, though, since it allegedly has a nasty bug that keeps the fuel counter from refilling.

I think "Master System" may be referring to the JP "Master System", which looks like a US SMS, but is a Mark III with a port that only fits JP carts (though most US/EU carts an be played on it with an adapter and US/EU cards can be played on it without an adapter), FM sound, rapid fire, and a port for the 3D glasses. It's a slick model, though the palette is definitely incorrect for SG-1000 games. I have a few and it's similar to the issue with GBC games where the colors look a bit saturated on the GBA.

Edited by BrianC
  • Like 1

Lode Runner is supposed to be re-released by CollectorVision in the future, not sure what's going on with that.

Lode Runner is actually "completely" redone ;)

In fact, it'll feature better graphics & level structure will be more accurate

Steve told me that this new version will be alot more nicer than the current MSX release

I suppose SG-1000 Wonder Boy or Loretta no Shouzou -Sherlock Holmes- could be possible conversion candidates as well. Though "Loretta" would need to be translated, and would use a mega-rom board.

Other possible candidates: Bank Panic, Border Line, Chack'n Pop, Dragon Wang, Hustle Chumy, Monaco GP, Shinyuushain Tooru Kun (Highschool Graffiti Mikie),

Edited by Raccoon Lad