IGNORED

Somone locally is selling a Super Famicom for 30 bucks...

It's a pretty great deal, if it comes with hookups & controllers especially.

Just be aware that the cosmetic mod to play US games is far more damaging to the SFC than the mod on the SNES to play SFC games. So, unless you want to start buying Japanese games, there might not be much of a point.

It's a pretty great deal, if it comes with hookups & controllers especially.

Just be aware that the cosmetic mod to play US games is far more damaging to the SFC than the mod on the SNES to play SFC games. So, unless you want to start buying Japanese games, there might not be much of a point.

it does come with controllers and a Jap rpg game which I assume would be useless since it is in japanese... it might be great for a collector of SNES stuff, but I think since I mainly stick to older 8bit I might pass on this especially since I assume there is not a easy way to use it to play US games... I remember for the Turbografix there was a simple adapter you could use to go back and forth between US and Jap games... oh well..

thanks

I might pass on this especially since I assume there is not a easy way to use it to play US games... I remember for the Turbografix there was a simple adapter you could use to go back and forth between US and Jap games... oh well..

thanks

You don't even need an adapter, you just need to grind out either end of the cart slot to widen it. The SNES and Super Famicom are identical other than physical lockouts adapted to the specific cart molds. Either one can be adapted to play the other's games with nothing more than a good file or dremel tool. The only difference is, modding a Super Famicom breaks the outside, and modding a SNES breaks the inside, cosmetically speaking.

Dont go plugging in that Japanese power brick, it fits alright but it will overheat, a US SNES works. I got mine from a Japanese co-worker and then had the good fortune to find 40 or games for it. The rub of it is that many of the really JAPANESE!! games are in Japanese so you cant figure out what the heck to do. I found a few cutsie fishing games, horse racing and fighter games I could get some fun out of but all of the RPG, life sim stuff was useless to me. Obviously $30 isnt much money so I'd say go for it, its not like you'll spend the next year kicking yourself saying "damn I wish I had that $30."

I might pass on this especially since I assume there is not a easy way to use it to play US games... I remember for the Turbografix there was a simple adapter you could use to go back and forth between US and Jap games... oh well..

thanks

You don't even need an adapter, you just need to grind out either end of the cart slot to widen it. The SNES and Super Famicom are identical other than physical lockouts adapted to the specific cart molds. Either one can be adapted to play the other's games with nothing more than a good file or dremel tool. The only difference is, modding a Super Famicom breaks the outside, and modding a SNES breaks the inside, cosmetically speaking.

But of course, one's easier than the other. I'd much prefer modding an SNES rather than getting a Super Famicom and modding it for US carts.

Oh God no!!! Save your Fami ;) Get a Game Genie and grind it down to use as a pass through. The stores always have buckets

of them for about 3-5 bucks. You can also play SFC on SNES with a Game Genie without any physical mod.

Oh God no!!! Save your Fami ;) Get a Game Genie and grind it down to use as a pass through. The stores always have buckets

of them for about 3-5 bucks. You can also play SFC on SNES with a Game Genie without any physical mod.

Hey, i didn't advocate it, just said it was possible. :) I think that there's very little reason for US gamers to purchase a SFC, much less mod one, since it's so easy to just use the SNES. Unless you just have a particular interest in owning one for reasons other than play. SNES decks are a dime a dozen...i see them more than i see the Game Genie, even.

Here's what I would do:

1. Grab the SFC for $30

2. Put it on Ebay for $profit

3. Consider using an SNES or get an FC Twin for playing your games

4. Stick all that hardware in the closet and just play the games in emulation.

5. sell it to me because your nice :ponder:

• 1 month later...
Dont go plugging in that Japanese power brick, it fits alright but it will overheat, a US SNES works.

Japanese power is ~100V and US is around 120. It's not a huge difference and it will probably work fine. I use a number of Japanese items on 120V without incident. If you check the brick, it's likely even rated for 120, 50/60hz power frequency, and maybe even 230V. I'm not guaranteeing it's a good idea but you'll probably do just fine. Note that a brick for a Sega Megadrive/Genesis will work too, and if the current is high enough, an FC/NES brick should be OK too. Just make sure it's center-negative, around 9V and over an amp and you should be good.

Re: the prices .. 150?! 200?! INSANITY. Exporters must be fucking ripoff artists. At local junk shops you can get an armload of SFC systems for under $15 .. $2-$5 per, with all the hookups and 2 controllers, maybe $8 per .. the only catch is they generally do have some degree of yellowness, although usually not severe. If anyone wants me to pack them up a box full of Super Famicoms, I don't mind, for a reasonable price. You could take up juggling with the SFC in this country.. :P I wish it was the same way with Sega or NEC hardware.

Edited by Epicenter