IGNORED

Who got Guitar Hero II?

Cobra Kai

It has 10 new songs included and all the typical Live stuff, leaderboards and what not. But the biggest deal is the downloadables as mentioned above.

I picked it up, so I guess I can retire my PS2 to the tube tv for playing gun games now. Just sucks that I can't use any of my PS2 guitars with the 360, have to buy a new set!

From the IGN Review:

The Good Gets Better

Typically, ports of PS2 games don't fare very well on Xbox 360. Developers looking for a quick buck rarely take the time and money to add features, let alone rework the graphics. Guitar Hero II does not fall into that trap. While the original was never a graphical powerhouse, the 360 port looks significantly better. Textures and models have been given an upgrade and everything is now running in crisp HD. Details that were previously impossible to make out now jump to life, doing a great service to a game with presentation as superb as Guitar Hero II. New lighting effects have also been added which add to the feeling of being a rockstar on a stage, but they have a tendency to make a small minority of people playing the game feel a bit dizzy.

The sound, like the graphics, has also received an overhaul and the results are quite drastic. To take advantage of the DD 5.1 capabilities on Xbox 360, every song has been remastered and they sound fantastic. The difference in sound quality when played on a home theater is noticeable even to the untrained ear - it's that good. You won't notice the difference as readily if you don't have a nice setup, but you will notice a smoother sound.

If you've played Guitar Hero II already, there is still a ton of new content on the 360 version that makes it worth picking up again. For starters, there are ten new tracks that were recorded exclusively for the Xbox 360. Like the rest of the game, these tracks run the gamut between good and excellent, but the overall quality of recording and fun factor on these tracks is as high, if not higher, than the original set list. Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" and "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" by Rick Derringer are flat out fantastic both in terms of the controller mapping and the cover music. "Dead!" by My Chemical Romance and "Possum Kingdom" by The Toadies are both master tracks, so you already know those songs are as good as they possibly can get. The new songs have been worked into a reordered career mode quite well and the progression of difficulty feels much smoother this go around.

Ten new songs are great, but the ability to download additional tracks from the Xbox Live Marketplace is what really gives this version legs. Songs from the original Guitar Hero will be available on the Marketplace. We haven't learned the full list, but our reliable source (call him Lars Umlaut) tells us that Ozzy's "Bark at the Moon", Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Higher Ground", and Incubus' "Stellar" will all come in the first wave roughly a week after the game launches.

For some reason I cant get into this game. I tried out the PS2 version at a Best Buy and just didnt think the game was all that fun. Maybe it was because I sucked and kept messing up.

I'm going to buy this tomorrow hopefully. I had a blast at a friends house on the PS2 Co-Op. At first you usually suck, but after you get good its fun and addicting. Very pick up and play. I thought it would be great if a PC version was out and there was a mod or program where you can upload your own MP3s or whatever and play it. I hope there is more Alice In Chains to download. "Would" anyone?

Edited by xenomorpher

I played a few sets last night and have to say that the song selections in this game SUCK! I'm glad there's gonna be downloadable songs. I did find a few gems available for 'purchase' in the in-game store though, the music in that section blows away any of the pure shit in the main game.

Gameplay wise, I noticed is the hammer-ons and pull-offs are much easier to do now for some reason. (compared to the original GH).

One more negative point for me is that I'm a lefty and the lefty flip makes the X-plorer controller really akward. It wasn't as bad with the SG guitar from GH1. I didn't even think about this problem when I was buying the game. Oh well. *shrug*

I really like the developer's other work (Frequency, Amplitude), but I can't get into buying this game since it requires extra hardware, just like a lightgun game. As fun as it looks, the extra plastic $hit plus the fact that said controller is wired, plus the high price of entry, and I'm majorly turned off. Pass.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but I feel the same way about the Wii, "rumble packs," and other games that require assembly of fiddly little bits.

Most of the "lesser known" bands on this, and the previous one are from Boston, since that's where Harmonix's offices are. I know most of these guys.

They all post at a local music message board in Boston. There's some really funny stories behind all of this stuff. Especially the stuff about Graveyard BBQ from Guitar Hero 1 kicking their singer out of the band after he told a bunch of lies online about making huge royalties from GH and basically insulting everyone.

I played this on PS2 the other day and intend to snag it for 360. As someone who has been playing guitar for ten years I can tell you that this game is nothing like actually playing guitar. I am an experienced guitar player but I suck at this game nonetheless. But, it is a lot of fun and I can tell that it wouldn't take long to get good at it. They managed to take a simple game of timing and reflexes (imagine the game without the guitar theme and think of it as simply a moving board with colored lights that need to be triggered at the right moment) and made it incredibly addictive.

CanNOT wait for Rock Band to come out, and I just picked up me not only a 360 today, but GH2 as well, and I'm loving it as much as always. The new songs really add a lot to things, and I think the re-shuffling of the set lists was a good idea, as things now feel like they belong in a set rather than 2 ahead or 2 behind.

The DLC is a huge letdown. Ok, so it's 500 MS points for 3 extra songs. :x They come in premade 'packs' like a TV dinner, you can't choose what you want freely. I was already to buy some songs, saw the price, then proceeded to DL a rental movie off Live for half the points.

I'm very dissapointed, I was looking forward to the DLC but now I won't buy any of the songs unless they are totally new songs (read: NOT GH1 songs)

Lots of fun. I'm terrible at it but having fun none the less.

NEED MORE COWBELL !

Same here. We played 2 player almost all weekend. I do ok, but my son kicks my butt.

Funny you mentioned cowbell. We were just talking about Rock Band or whatever that game coming out is and I commented that the drummer better have a cowbell :)