IGNORED

Cymbal Software Cassette Titles (Games 20)

Noelio

I don't know HOW rare this is, but I haven't found any other online.

Its contents are in English & French, so I would imagine it is a french canadian company.(?)

It's a folder style case with 6 tapes inside.

the games are actually pretty good, but obvious knock offs of arcade games at the time.

I have no idea how to do cassette dumps, but I will read up on it as this collection is really

worth the download. If you have directions / howto, I will get right to it as I just bought a brand spankin

new XC-12 from B & C solely for this purpose.

Image attached.post-12761-1175706656_thumb.jpgpost-12761-1175706649_thumb.jpg

Its listed as unbelievably rare.

Sounds like I got a gem! :)

I had this since I was a kid. In fact, I got a 600XL & this tape set for Christmas, with no tape deck!

Had to wait about six months before I could use it hahaha.

Some really well done games. I hope I can dump it but I am slightly concerned where there are

approx 3 second pauses (tape stops then starts again) between load chimes. Might be an early

piracy prevention scheme... Not sure.

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=1224

• Like 1

If you capture the audio from the cassettes as a high quality WAV file, there are a number of utilities including WAV2CAS that will convert the files to .CAS images.

Very nice item, Atarimania lists it as a 10.

Steve

Edited by classics

Congratulations, this is an ultra rare item! The last time I saw this set on eBay was seven years ago... and I grabbed it! All games are written in BASIC but Maze Master is a very nice Pac-Man clone. The other programs range from utter crap to fair.

Haven't been successful with the CAS conversion so far but maybe I'm just not very good at it... If you want to give it a try, please make sure you transfer the whole tapes as they are (so we have six original CAS images).

Do you have any other games from Canada? We're mainly looking for the following titles:

- anything by Monticello Data Systems

- Time Zone and The Word Bird by IPS

- Password Adventure by Inter-8

- Alien Numbers and Math Pack by Inhome Software

- Bug Runner by ISIS

- anything else not listed :)

Do you have any issues of ROM Magazine?

Thanks!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Congratulations, this is an ultra rare item! The last time I saw this set on eBay was seven years ago... and I grabbed it! All games are written in BASIC but Maze Master is a very nice Pac-Man clone. The other programs range from utter crap to fair.

Haven't been successful with the CAS conversion so far but maybe I'm just not very good at it... If you want to give it a try, please make sure you transfer the whole tapes as they are (so we have six original CAS images).

Do you have any other games from Canada? We're mainly looking for the following titles:

- anything by Monticello Data Systems

- Time Zone and The Word Bird by IPS

- Password Adventure by Inter-8

- Alien Numbers and Math Pack by Inhome Software

- Bug Runner by ISIS

- anything else not listed :)

Do you have any issues of ROM Magazine?

Thanks!

--

Atari Frog

This is the only cassette pack I have.

I am in the process of recording the tapes via sony sound forge 8, so the masters should be good.

I went with 8 bit mono 44,100.

The problem, I think, is the strange pauses in the second phase of loading each game.

Would be nice to copy direct to ATR disk somehow too.

If my attempt fails, I think we will have to find the former cymbal company reps to maybe release their sources, if they still have it.

A few games in there I really liked as a kid. Lots of cheese too! :)

If I had somewhere to upload the whole tape images, id be happy to do so.

I am in the process of recording the tapes via sony sound forge 8, so the masters should be good. I went with 8 bit mono 44,100.

Great!

The problem, I think, is the strange pauses in the second phase of loading each game.

You're right, that's some unusual protection...

Would be nice to copy direct to ATR disk somehow too.

Pretty sure somebody will be able to crack the good games so I wouldn't worry.

If my attempt fails, I think we will have to find the former cymbal company reps to maybe release their sources, if they still have it.

The good news is that we have two copies now so I'm confident we'll manage to archive all the games somehow...

If I had somewhere to upload the whole tape images, id be happy to do so.

Feel free to send the compilation to us, we'll make it available for download on our site :)

Thanks!

--

Atari Frog

Hi Folks,

In the spirit of Easter Weekend, when I first got to actually ever use these tapes I got for Christmas '83 or '84 (not 100% sure),

The first try at conversion from cassette was 70% successful. I think 23 years of living with my destructive powers

has proven early 80's computer tape technology as fairly reliable. Considering these tapes spent half their life

in a locker that was situated close to large guitar stack amps etc for half their life , I'm surprised ANY games work!

It's a 10 on the Atarimania rarity scale - Unbelievably rare. So to many, this is new software! Cool!

Don't forget to read the readme in order to use properly! And make sure to install Atari800Win to start playing

right away.

http://www.ngmmedia.com/users/atariism/tap...re_Games-20.rar

Enjoy!

Noel

Is there a list somewhere if Canadian software houses that produced games for Atari 8-bits? I'd never really thought of the possibility of there being Canadian software that wasn't released in the U.S., I always just assumed that all the same software houses published and released the same stuff for a "north american market." But I've never seen or heard of some of these tape games, so...

Is there a list somewhere if Canadian software houses that produced games for Atari 8-bits?

Well, that's what the "search by country" option in our database is for... Add anything published in ROM Magazine and stuff from tiny Canadian software houses and you'll pretty much get a clear picture...

--

Atari Frog

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Most of the games do work, they just need to be CLOADed. The loading scheme seems to be specific so it's difficult to reproduce working tape images for some of the programs. Someone has offered help to convert all titles to disk so stay tuned.

And? Anything happened?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...