IGNORED

Ever really really WANT to like a game, but can't?

Oh loads!

Zelda, Mario (all of them), Castlevania, Any fighting game, Any first person shooter, Daytona, Metroid Prime, Lumines, All Japanese RPGs (but I only realise that about 30 hours into each!).

Final Fantasy and Halo.

Actually I was interested on Resident Evil and strangely the controls seemed to make sense for me and I got used to them, I now play RE with relative ease and I'm a great fan of the series/storyline. The only thing wrong is not being able to shoot and reload while walking.

ok, im going to add another.

Wipeout... any wipeout on the playstation and saturn (ps2 game was alright). I really want to like it... i LOVE futuristic racers. In fact F-zero i think ruined wipeout for me. i didnt get into wipeout till after f-zero X on the 64 came out. i think wipeout just felt too damn slow.

Yeah, I could see that especially when the game had such a great soundtrack and cool things going on from a visual design point of view.

ok once again i seem to have ticked you off lol.. remember the thread is called games i "really really WANT to like"...

yes, one of the reasons why i wnat to like it is because the soundtrack is nice and so are the visuals. but play the saturn version of wipe out and tell me you dont hit walls like a damn pinball. in fact i was bloody shocked when i got the ps2 wipeout and liked it quite a bit.

Edited by AtariJr

Ticked me off? No, I was sincerely agreeing with you!!

The soundtrack and the visual design made me want to adore this game, but the mechanic of it was floaty and not too satisfying.

ah ok ^.^, sorry... type is hard to tell emotion lool. so sometimes you think you sense sarcasm lol, sorry bout that. and yea, even in the ps2 game, ive found me playing the game more and more many times just so i can hear a couple favorite songs of mine.

speaking of which.. why does wipeout always score so high.. when i feel that xgr and f-zero usually well outclass it.

Edited by AtariJr

For the most part, I realized that if I don't like a game, it's because it's a bad game, not a personal failing of my own. Still, there are a few games where I've really tried to like despite them not being any good.

Starfox 64 was definitely one of these games. It threw out the good gameplay of the original and focused on typical Miyamoto garbage. I knew it sucked after I quickly blew through it shortly after buying the game. I stuck with it because of my love of the original, and I kept telling myself that it was just different, not bad. Nope. It just sucked ass was all.

Panzer Dragoon Orta is another member of the category. I had so looked foward to it. It was one of the upcoming games I bought an X-Box for. I bought the game the day of it's release and rushed home to play. Within the first hour I knew it was crap. I stuck with it under the same delusion as above: "It's not crap. It's just different. Get used to it." Eventually, I came to realization I already knew, the game sucked ass. I managed to trade it in and get at least $25 back from the experience.

Games by Treasure are another instance of this. People rave about them, so I get the feeling I'm supposed to like them too. Yet, then I play something like Guardian Heroes or Ikaruga and just discover a completely unfun experience I shouldn't have wasted my time on. Yet, I keep on torturing myself because I'm supposed to like these games for some reason. I find most Nintendo DS games to go along the same lines.

idk, i like ikaruga, gaurdian heroes and starfox 64 a lot. but i will agree with you on panzer dragoon orta. i dont think its a BAD game.. but yea, it doesnt keep my interest. and i think i felt like playing it more because i was telling myself i should like it more than i really did. in fact, isnce the week i bought it i havnt played it again :ponder:

i think my expectations were also way too high.

For the most part, I realized that if I don't like a game, it's because it's a bad game, not a personal failing of my own.

Still, there are a few games where I've really tried to like despite them not being any good.

If you dislike a popular game, it's not a personal failing, but you're being crazy arrogant if you assume that makes them "not any good".

Starfox 64 was definitely one of these games. It threw out the good gameplay of the original and focused on typical Miyamoto garbage. I knew it sucked after I quickly blew through it shortly after buying the game. I stuck with it because of my love of the original, and I kept telling myself that it was just different, not bad. Nope. It just sucked ass was all.

Could you explain how it "threw out the good gameplay of the original"? They seem pretty close to me... in fact, what got thrown out for the most part was the SNES-struggling graphics and more importantly, the terrible control scheme of the first... StarFox was meant to have an analog control. (The main thing I'm not sure about is replacing subtitles and alien gibberish with so-so voice talent)

Games by Treasure are another instance of this. People rave about them, so I get the feeling I'm supposed to like them too. Yet, then I play something like Guardian Heroes or Ikaruga and just discover a completely unfun experience I shouldn't have wasted my time on. Yet, I keep on torturing myself because I'm supposed to like these games for some reason.

I kind of know what you mean re:Treasure but there's at least one exception: Bangai-O for Dreamcast (and N64, but that's even rarer) That is just a fantastic old school game, with a cool "wait 'til you're about to die then unleash" mechanic.

Because of that game I dug back into the old stuff, but nothing really grabbed me.

Games by Treasure are another instance of this. People rave about them, so I get the feeling I'm supposed to like them too. Yet, then I play something like Guardian Heroes or Ikaruga and just discover a completely unfun experience I shouldn't have wasted my time on. Yet, I keep on torturing myself because I'm supposed to like these games for some reason.

I hear ya about the Treasure fanboys pushin' their drug.

People must be crazy to think that Ikaruga could be enjoyed by the masses.

The very hard and tedious gameplay should only appeal to small niche of gamers.

I've owned this game for 2 years and still haven't beat it.

I play it for a day or two and then before I have an aneurysm I put it away for a few months.

I play it for a day or two and then before I have an aneurysm I put it away for a few months.

do you play shooters? unless your using cheats or something most of the time you dont get to beat the game lol. in fact, i thought ikaruga was pretty easy compaired to shooters like , lets say, r-type. i was at least able to get to the 4th level with my roomate in ikaruge... i cant even get through the first damn stage in r-type lol. ive seen the first half of that games' first level more than any other person i think lol :D

Here's mine. One of my top 5 games is ICO for the PS2, for me it was an amazing discovery which I picked up in a bargain bin. I researched the developers and found out that they were making a new game Wanda and Colossus and I was very excited. I waited patiently and bought the retitled Shadow of the Colossus as soon as it hit the shelves. I played it for about 30 minutes but wasn't intrigued. Later, I read about the game online in reviews and my distaste grew. The game has an amazing atmosphere and the giant characters are very well done and I really really wanted to like it but I have to say that I really don't at all and that is sad.

Katamari Damacy is another game where I don't like as much as I wanted to.

Here's mine. One of my top 5 games is ICO for the PS2, for me it was an amazing discovery which I picked up in a bargain bin. I researched the developers and found out that they were making a new game Wanda and Colossus and I was very excited. I waited patiently and bought the retitled Shadow of the Colossus as soon as it hit the shelves. I played it for about 30 minutes but wasn't intrigued. Later, I read about the game online in reviews and my distaste grew. The game has an amazing atmosphere and the giant characters are very well done and I really really wanted to like it but I have to say that I really don't at all and that is sad.

I feel your pain, man. Such a gorgeously lit game, and those mammoth beasts, and an ethical dilemma... but then the game play is all "spot the handhold in the glarey bad lighting on stone on stone textures"

anything anime. I cant stand it. its just complete garbage.

also the PS2. I got one, I thought i'd like it. I wanted to like it. I traded it for an xbox 2 weeks later. about a month after that, guitar hero came out and I wanted it. I figured it would eventually come out for other systems, and it did. another series is final fantasy 7. I love the first 6, but cant stand the ones after that. its not playstation, I guess its just the whole concept. idk. and I only liked them after I played them on GBA, I hate the original's, its weird. I borrowed FF7 from a neighbor who warned me. He said I could keep it, sadly I didnt.

Wipeout... any wipeout on the playstation and saturn (ps2 game was alright). I really want to like it... i LOVE futuristic racers. In fact F-zero i think ruined wipeout for me. i didnt get into wipeout till after f-zero X on the 64 came out. i think wipeout just felt too damn slow.

Yeah, I could see that especially when the game had such a great soundtrack and cool things going on from a visual design point of view.

ok once again i seem to have ticked you off lol.. remember the thread is called games i "really really WANT to like"...

yes, one of the reasons why i wnat to like it is because the soundtrack is nice and so are the visuals. but play the saturn version of wipe out and tell me you dont hit walls like a damn pinball. in fact i was bloody shocked when i got the ps2 wipeout and liked it quite a bit.

I can manage to go through most of the corners without hitting the wall. You just have to time your turning and you should just zip throught the bend like nothing

I can manage to go through most of the corners without hitting the wall. You just have to time your turning and you should just zip throught the bend like nothing

i just got XGRA a few days ago... wow, its great. actually thinking of selling wipeout fusion back. im actually suprised XGRA didnt put up more of a fight against fzero gx... i know that XGRA's sales were pretty low in comparison.

do you play shooters? unless your using cheats or something most of the time you dont get to beat the game lol. in fact, i thought ikaruga was pretty easy compaired to shooters like , lets say, r-type. i was at least able to get to the 4th level with my roomate in ikaruge... i cant even get through the first damn stage in r-type lol. ive seen the first half of that games' first level more than any other person i think lol :D

I play lots of shmups...just not newer ones. I would say I have 60ish of them and 90% are PCE/SFC/MD. R-Type III, Thunder Force III, Soldier Blade, Macross SV, Giaires, thats my cup of tea :D

Those tiny hitbox, bullet hell games are a whole different animal, then Ikaruga does that polarity

switch bullet eater stuff.....sends my head for a spin :?

I have been itching to get Thunder Force AC and Salamander 2, but i just have the Saturn console at this point, no connections and no 4 in 1. When I get around to ordering some games maybee you can give me some other recomendations.

This mostly happens with sequels. I could probably think of a lot more.

Dragon Warrior - not too bad, but I was really starved for RPG's after playing Ultima:Exodus and DW was too bland and simple to satisfy. The Japanese formula didn't work for me I guess, but Final Fantasy was better.

Final Fantasy 7

Zelda - Ocarina of Time

Mario64

Golden Axe 2

Phantasy Star 3

Sword of Sodan - Obviously my worst purchase ever.

A friend was visiting from out of town and I wanted to get a game while he was there. After spending $50 on this thing I wanted to like it. But it sucked, and eventually I had to admit it.

Sonic CD

Silpheed

Ultima 8

Ultima 9

Star Control 3

NASCAR Racing 2

Age of Mythology

Quake - it was okay to play, but I couldn't make cool levels for it as easily as with DOOM 2. I got tired of trying.