IGNORED

Final Super Pac-Man Binaries Released

Albert

superpacman.pngThanks to the efforts of Ken Van Mersbergen (Dutchman2000 in our forums), the final version of Super Pac-Man for the Atari 5200 game console and Atari 8-bit computers is now available. Super Pac-Man is a spot-on port of the arcade game sharing the same name, but was never released commercially by Atari for either the 5200 or Atari 8-bit computers. Until now only earlier versions of these binaries have been circulating the net. Special thanks go out to Landon Dyer, who programmed the 5200/8-bit version of Super Pac-Man, for allowing the release of these binaries. You can read comprehensive 5200 and 8-bit reviews of Super Pac-Man at AtariProtos.com.

You can download the binaries attached to this message (one for the 5200, one for 8-bit computers).

..Al

5200_SuperPacMan.zip

800_SuperPacMan.zip

So how are these different than the versions already out there? Were there bugs in Super Pacman like Pacman Jr.? And by the way, thanks Ken and Landon. Super Pacman is a great game. Now we just need it for the 7800. :)

Allan

So how are these different than the versions already out there? Were there bugs in Super Pacman like Pacman Jr.? And by the way, thanks Ken and Landon. Super Pacman is a great game. Now we just need it for the 7800. :)

Allan

Well there are three versions, I don't know which is one floating around out there.

Ver. 1 - This one has the "key bug" which occasionally causes doors not to open when a key is picked up, potentially making some levels unwinnable

Ver. 2 - This version fixed the key bug.

Ver. 3 - This version is the same as Ver. 2 but has some scrolling instructions on the title screen. It also has an easter egg, but we don't know how to trigger it.

Tempest

Ver. 3 - This version is the same as Ver. 2 but has some scrolling instructions on the title screen. It also has an easter egg, but we don't know how to trigger it.

Any other info about this Easter Egg? Could be found via disassembly if it's partially known what to search for.

Any other info about this Easter Egg? Could be found via disassembly if it's partially known what to search for.

EDIT : found this...

http://www.fyyff.com/mt/archives/000723.html

Do you know what the message is?

Well there are three versions, I don't know which is one floating around out there.

Ver. 1 - This one has the "key bug" which occasionally causes doors not to open when a key is picked up, potentially making some levels unwinnable

Tempest

Tempest,

There is one more thing I noticed in playing the final version. In the prior protos I've played, the star bonus seemed to appear based on a fixed timer. In the actual arcade it's triggered once you've eaten a fixed amount of fruits, veggies, or occasional hamburger. This final version seemed to have dropped the timer and now plays just like the arcade. It was one of the few things I disliked from the earlier releases and this one now plays just like the arcade!

-Jeff

Oh yeah, gotta Love Super Pac Man !!!! :-)

Curt

Tempest

Tempest,

There is one more thing I noticed in playing the final version. In the prior protos I've played, the star bonus seemed to appear based on a fixed timer. In the actual arcade it's triggered once you've eaten a fixed amount of fruits, veggies, or occasional hamburger. This final version seemed to have dropped the timer and now plays just like the arcade. It was one of the few things I disliked from the earlier releases and this one now plays just like the arcade!

-Jeff

Edited by Curt Vendel

I wonder if it addresses the escalated difficulty of the 5200 version vs. the standard arcade setting.

It's as if the 5200 version was set at the "expert" difficulty by default since it doesn't take long at all to get to a point where the ghosts only stay blue for a very short time.

I have to check it out :D

Tempest,

-Jeff

Ok I'm slow this morning because I'm hung over. Explain that to me again very slowly and in small words... I think I know what you're talking about, but I want to make sure I get it right.

Tempest

Pretty cool. The version that is on the net (and on my eprom inside my cart) is good enough for me for now. I guess when I'm bored I might reburn the chip to see any differences just cause this is the real final and all.

Thanks for the release to all involved. Much apricated. :thumbsup:

EDIT : found this...

http://www.fyyff.com/mt/archives/000723.html

Do you know what the message is?

Cool blog entry. I wish we had more of this sort of thing where authors would share a bit of the technical details. Any others?

tjb

Tempest,

-Jeff

Ok I'm slow this morning because I'm hung over. Explain that to me again very slowly and in small words... I think I know what you're talking about, but I want to make sure I get it right.

Tempest

This is regarding the star that appears in the center of the maze. In the arcade, and in this final version, the star appears when once you've cleared half the screen. In the previous protos I believe it was just based off a fixed timer. Play the first board using each rom and you'll see the difference.

-Jeff

post-5778-1175905984_thumb.jpg

Could somebody make a binary compatible with a 32K eprom for the ATariage boards of this new version of Super Pacman? Please. with sugar on top.

Allan

Here you go

Thanks a million.

Can I ask what you did with?

Allan

Could somebody make a binary compatible with a 32K eprom for the ATariage boards of this new version of Super Pacman? Please. with sugar on top.

Allan

Here you go

Thanks a million.

Allan

I just split the 16K rom into 8K chunks and then just binary copied the low bits twice and the high bits twice to get a 32K rom.

-Jeff

Allan

Here you go

Thanks a million.

Allan

I just split the 16K rom into 8K chunks and then just binary copied the low bits twice and the high bits twice to get a 32K rom.

-Jeff

I get it. Thanks.

Allan