IGNORED

Atlantis II on EBAY $50,000

taxman

Does anyone report this BS? I mean cmon! I know you have to ride the short bus awhile before you paid $50Gs for this and then youd have to have that money available but Im sure a few Crafty Short Busers have that kinda coin and could possible buy it. thieves abound :x . I have a Combat that I wrote II on with nail polish if anyone wants it? Any takers? only $10 not 50,000! :D

Edited by Phantom

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what's to stop someone from burning an EPROM from the dumped ROM and putting it in an Atlantis shell?

Nothing at all.

Why is there not all the hoopla about opening it up and posting pictures like you see on Pepsi Invaders?

Probably because Pepsi Invaders does not have a label, so you can open up the cartridge without any repercussions. It's unlikely anyone with a genuine Atlantis II cart is going to risk the label to verify the authenticity of the cart. And someone making a convincing repro of the game certainly isn't going to open it, for obvious reasons. :)

..Al

Ok reading it all again, are you tellin me this is a real Atlantis II cart? and it was in that lot I passed on? F if so :x Double F :x :x

Eh, no reason to be upset. He obviously knew what he was bidding on, and also knew he was planning on asking 50k for it, so there's no telling how high he would've bid.

Would you have paid 1k for that lot? 2k? Frankly, the winning bid was about as high as I would've gone lol.

Ok reading it all again, are you tellin me this is a real Atlantis II cart? and it was in that lot I passed on? F if so :x Double F :x :x

Eh, no reason to be upset. He obviously knew what he was bidding on, and also knew he was planning on asking 50k for it, so there's no telling how high he would've bid.

Would you have paid 1k for that lot? 2k? Frankly, the winning bid was about as high as I would've gone lol.

Some take these icons too literally, I have no clue what he bid but I would have bid if I knew that was real, i thought it was a joke. Im just mad I didnt bid, i didnt say i would have won. So whats your point? I certianly have no clue what I would bid nor would I tell you. You may follow me around and bid me up if i did that. :P

As far as this auction itself I believe that there is a chance someone outside of the community could bid on it.

Not a chance. No one outside the community knows about it. It wasn't as big as say the NWC nationwide contest.

Actually the Atlantis II was a product of a nationwide contest :ponder: Most regular Atlantis boxes have an contest entry for where you could send in a picture of your super high score for the contest. This is the oldest competition cart known to exist. This also has historical value because of the competition carts that would follow the lead of this game. Not only is this game rare it also has historical significance. There are not many games that can say that.

Yes, but technically it is one of the first hacks, just done with permission. :)

See there is even more evidence of it's historical value ;) At the moment I really believe that almost all the rare Atari 2600 games are highly undervalued. I have personally been looking for Atari 2600 games for over 5 years. What has been my most valuable finds for far? A boxed Supercharger and a loose Pengo game. I personally have never found a rarity 7 or higher game for this system and I have spent many many hours looking going to over a 100 swap meets and tons of thrift stores. Although $50,000 on the high side think about this for a second. How much do you think a pen would be worth if only 12 were known to exist? What if a famous artist had an album variation were only 12 were known to exist? Also think about how much an Action comics #1 is worth. there are over 50 that are known to exist with this one. Same thing goes with that One Honus Wagner baseball card. There are over 50 known to exist with that one as well. Think even harder how bout a type writer, or even an old 78. My point is this, you may complain about the price of one of these games, but you have to realize that odds are that a vast majority of collectors will not have this game in their entire lives. In fact most collectors will never even be able to get to hold this game or play it.

Edited by homerwannabee

This is clearly worth less 1000. Remember the label is damaged and there is no original paperwork. Some that were more complete sold at higher prices.

Why is the label such a big deal on this one? Are Imagic labels impossible to remove without damaging them? The label is the same as a reasonably common version of Atlantis, correct?

y-bot

Yes, but technically it is one of the first hacks, just done with permission. :)

See there is even more evidence of it's historical value ;) At the moment I really believe that almost all the rare Atari 2600 games are highly undervalued. I have personally been looking for Atari 2600 games for over 5 years. What has been my most valuable finds for far? A boxed Supercharger and a loose Pengo game. I personally have never found a rarity 7 or higher game for this system and I have spent many many hours looking going to over a 100 swap meets and tons of thrift stores. Although $50,000 on the high side think about this for a second. How much do you think a pen would be worth if only 12 were known to exist? What if a famous artist had an album variation were only 12 were known to exist? Also think about how much an Action comics #1 is worth. there are over 50 that are known to exist with this one. Same thing goes with that One Honus Wagner baseball card. There are over 50 known to exist with that one as well. Think even harder how bout a type writer, or even an old 78. My point is this, you may complain about the price of one of these games, but you have to realize that odds are that a vast majority of collectors will not have this game in their entire lives. In fact most collectors will never even be able to get to hold this game or play it.

I think another factor is time. The Atari 2600 has been around for over 30 years , baseball cards over 100 years.

Plus, baseball cards are cheap to get (initially) whereas an Atari 2600 game was expensive (initially).

I think another factor is time. The Atari 2600 has been around for over 30 years , baseball cards over 100 years.

Plus, baseball cards are cheap to get (initially) whereas an Atari 2600 game was expensive (initially).

I think the biggest factor for this market is that it is a hobby with many people still in their early 30's and late 20's. When this generation gets older a lot of stuff will become extremly expensive. Remember this also in 1969 marked the 30th anniversary of comics. If you follow that time line this hobby still needs another 20 years before it reaches it's full potential.

This is clearly worth less 1000. Remember the label is damaged and there is no original paperwork. Some that were more complete sold at higher prices.

Why is the label such a big deal on this one? Are Imagic labels impossible to remove without damaging them? The label is the same as a reasonably common version of Atlantis, correct?

y-bot

Nope, not hard to remove. You could fake one with a OTP if you where a real asshole.

y-bot

Nope, not hard to remove. You could fake one with a OTP if you where a real asshole.

I am kind of wondering why people question the legitimacy of the game because of the label being marked with the number II??? I pretty much believe since it was in that big lot that it is the real thing and back in the day the people wrote the number on the cartridge to distinguish it from the regular one. I mean they weren't thinking 10 or 20 years into the future that this thing would be worth anything. And they didn't even realize it before selling the game. I really think zeitshaba made a mistake putting out where he got this game i mean damn he got it in a lot with a nice Miner 2049er Volume 1 & 2 both with manuals the volume 2 manual is a very hard to find one! And if u all consider the label damaged because of the number II written on it..........wouldn't u just be able to very carefully take a Night Scene Atlantis label of a regular Atlantis game and stick the label on the Atlantis II Cart or go the other way around and switch the chip from the Atlantis II game into a very mint looking regular night scene cartridge??? I mean if they have the same label I really don't understand the need to find a mint copy of this game if someone knows how to switch the chip around. So in reality i wouldn't see much value in this particular released hack much at all! I'd spend a few hundred of course but nothing into the thousands! When u tell everyone you've won a game for a little over $100.00 and then u turn around and announce to the same people u are selling the game for $50,000 i really think that takes a lot of balls, but not so much brains to be honest!

Edited by Atarimania75

He started off his AtariAge membership by apologizing in advance. He said that Atari labels would be sacrificed.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104859

What if someone had someone else post an Atari auctions with a label that had been altered with a marker. What if that cartridge was altered with a burned chip. What if the winner of the auction then sells the altered cartridge on eBay for significantly more than true market value. Maybe this is the reason for the apology in advance.

I am not saying that this happened. All I am saying is that I want more proof than a picture of the game being played. There are several members of AtariAge who could make Atlantis II and slap on a label and write II on it. Wouldn't you want more proof than a picture of the game being played if you were going to shell out several thousand dollars?

I have been around this hobby long enough to have seen fake Quadrun's and other fakes sold as originals to know that this type of stuff happens.

I am a skeptical until proven otherwise.

All of the theories expressed are solely my opinion of one scenario. It could be the real deal but I want proof first.

He started off his AtariAge membership by apologizing in advance. He said that Atari labels would be sacrificed.

What if someone had someone else post an Atari auctions with a label that had been altered with a marker. What if that cartridge was altered with a burned chip. What if the winner of the auction then sells the altered cartridge on eBay for significantly more than true market value. Maybe this is the reason for the apology in advance.

I am not saying that this happened. All I am saying is that I want more proof than a picture of the game being played. There are several members of AtariAge who could make Atlantis II and slap on a label and write II on it. Wouldn't you want more proof than a picture of the game being played if you were going to shell out several thousand dollars?

I have been around this hobby long enough to have seen fake Quadrun's and other fakes sold as originals to know that this type of stuff happens.

All of the theories expressed are solely my opinion of one scenario. It could be the real deal but I want proof first.

Sorry Sean, yes i didn't think of the scenario of him having someone else post the itme to make it look real, and that could be an explanation of why he did mention where he got it. I think if i won the lot i would have kept my mouth shut and tried getting close to $1000 for the thing. A loose game like that doesn't really hold much value for me if it looks just like a regular Atlantis cartridge thats worth less than a buck!

Sorry Sean, yes i didn't think of the scenario of him having someone else post the itme to make it look real, and that could be an explanation of why he did mention where he got it. I think if i won the lot i would have kept my mouth shut and tried getting close to $1000 for the thing. A loose game like that doesn't really hold much value for me if it looks just like a regular Atlantis cartridge thats worth less than a buck!

For that reason you will probably never have this game. Also I don't understand why people always rip on this rarity 10 game. Honestly have any of you compared this to other rarity 10 games. Xante(rerelease of former games). Air Raid (Possibly a pirate cart, Pepsi Invaders (Has no label, you can not die in this game) Video Life ( really is not a game, it is a population simulator), Eli's Ladder ( A really bad religous math game), Karate ( A really bad Ultravision game that froggo rereleased in bigger numbers) Magic Card ( Again not really a game) Atleast Atlantis II is a game, Albeit a game for really good Atlantis players. Really with all the lame Rarity 10 games this game actually comes looking pretty good. That's just my opinion and yes I know it is biased but I really can't understand why people slam this game. Remember it has 3 things going for it 1) A rare game made by a large company 2) Oldest competition cart 3)It is actually a game that you can play.

Edited by homerwannabee