IGNORED

Official 5200 HSC discussion thread

JagFan422

Try adding the game title into the title of the week's post. I noticed that the first round had been posted, but I wasn't sure what the game was until I got into the thread.

If you get a really popular game, this will let all the members know and it'll bring in some participation (like Beef Drop did for the 7800 last year).

Speaking of, though I don't have a Beef Drop cart, maybe it would be a good choice of game for this HSC.

For what it's worth, here's my list of games (and suggestions)

Space Invaders

Kangaroo

Qix

Soccer

Football

Defender

Star Raiders

Galaxian

Missile Command

Pac-Man

Super Brealout

Pole Position

RealSports Baseball

Frogger

Q*Bert

Keystone Kapers

River Raid

I've also got acces to both Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back via emulation.

yeah i have a pretty good collection of games too including a couple 8-bit ports,

I was also thinking about also adding like acheivements to the competition, instead of high scores, like, for Real Sports Baseball, if you can beat the computer by 10 runs or more, post it.

This would add a little more than just the sometime mind numbing task of playing for high score.

Folks - Im having a few EMU issues here - VSS doesnt support joysticks, Atari800win keeps crashing on me and MESS will start Centipede but wont allow me to start...........

Im trying to get MESS going - but for some reason with Centipede the F1 key wont start - anyone have any emu success?

Folks - Im having a few EMU issues here - VSS doesnt support joysticks, Atari800win keeps crashing on me and MESS will start Centipede but wont allow me to start...........

Im trying to get MESS going - but for some reason with Centipede the F1 key wont start - anyone have any emu success?

I'll check my Atari800Win settings when I get home from work. I usually use the Dreamcast version, but the settings should be the same.

Also, you have to select the right kind of cartridge when you start the binary...I think Centipede is a 2 chip game, but I don't recall for sure.

I'm up for Qix. How about a challenge to split the Qix at least, say, seven times, and get the bonus for 99% completion with the 7X plus multiplier.

Here's a suggestion for some challenges: Post your own high score for a game you're really good at. The crowd here will have fun tearing it apart for you. I tell ya, there are players who get bloodthirsty for that high score, and they'll keep trying until they nail it.

To add insult to injury, though, obtain a high on a more difficult setting than the HSC is being played on.

Edited by shadow460

Please use this thread from now on to discuss any issues/problems/ideas/suggestions/overall conversation regarding the 5200 HSC!!

I'd like to vote for Miner 2049er as an upcoming game. I was really good at that one back in the day, but I'm not sure how I would do now. By the way, you wouldn't be able to use the cheat/warp method! You'd have to start at zone 1 station 1 and see how far you could get. Everyone would be on the "honor system".

Hopefully I'll get around to playing Centipede this weekend. But my all time high score is only around 25K.

For future games, I suggest another common one for the next one. I agree with Qix. Then we need to go ahead and do a rarer title, something like Star Trek or maybe Death Star Battle. Then alternate between common and rare/repro/hack games.

by popular demand, the 2nd round of the HSC is going to be the game Qix. Competition will start sometime tomorrow, watch for a round 2 thread to be started with the rules and everything.

Also going to add a suprise :) You can probably guess what it is though if you look.

Edited by Atari5200

A tip for Qix if anyone doesn't know about this.

You can trap the sparx with a little ingenuity. Assuming you're at the bottom of the screen, this is what you do.

1) Make two very narrow vertical boxes not too far apart, close enough so you can draw between them in about a second or so.

2) When the sparx come down the sides of the boxes, be on the inner side of one box about midway up, and draw across to the other one. It takes timing, but you should reach the other side just as the sparx coming down that side passes underneath you.

3) Now both sparx are under a box you've just drawn. Quickly move up and draw another line across to the vertical box you were initially on. You MUST do this before the sparx reaches the top of the box you drew in step 2.

If you've done this right, both sparx will be stuck doing an eternal loop. It's best to do this at the start of the level (when both sparx come out of the top center and meet at the same time at the bottom. But you can do each sparx separately, and it's really easier to do it that way.

Once the sparx are trapped, it becomes a simple matter of trapping the Qix so you can get 99% of the screen.

Plus, once the double Qix appears, split the heck out of those guys. Then eventually rake in the points. If you split them enough, even a paltry 90% of the screen yields a respectable bonus.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I just (finally) got going on this...

Question...

Of the 4 rounds so far, only round 3 (Beef Drop) has an "end" date, which is this Sunday. Is it too late to submit for rounds 1 & 2 (not that I think I'll be able to top any of them. :( )