IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 1 Centipede

JagFan422

I haven't ever spent much time w/ 5200 Centipede, and I'm glad the HSC started so I got a chance to really play it. Every game I keep *thinking* I'm going to figure out the spider. Every time I die I think "next time I'll be able to avoid it." Heh. Still haven't beaten my 19k score, although I think tonight I'm going to break 20k. I have a good feeling. THIS time...

I played a bit more this morning and had a good game where I scored 21,933.

Overall, I had a much better set. I had several games where I scored over 10K, and a few games where I actually barely got into the 20K range.

Incidentally, I'm playing Standard difficulty with a Track Ball on a 2-port. I don't think I could play this game with a standard controller.

Edited by Gabriel

The spider truly is hard to figure out. I try to hunt him for big 600 or 900 points, but I end up running smack into him.

I hooked up my 5200 trak-ball and to my disappointment, it no longer tracks left-to-right. I might try to reguvenate it but for now I've just used the hand-cramping stock controllers.

I have never played this 5200 game quite so much as now! The shooting collision seems to miss centipede segments at times, unlike what I remember from the arcade version. I miss my trak-ball.

*** EDIT -- I got a slightly higher high score: 34,237. ***

post-37-1176681932_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cafeman

The more I play this game, the more I hate it. Yes, it's because of the Spider, I'm not afraid to admit that the spider really pisses me off to no end. It's relentless even from the opening of the game. There it comes right after you press start! Instantly! This is not Centipede, it's Avoid The Spider....that's what this game is.

It would have been a good programming effort to give the player a little reprieve after successfully shooting the spider dead, so to give you some time to clean up and actually play against the centipede sometimes.

So many times I smacked into the spider as I was trying to get to the 24,000 bonus life. ARGHH!

I found that I did my best when I avoided the spider and flea, only shooting him when it was incidental or safe, and concentrated on shooting the Centipede as quickly as possible. This way I got to the faster levels with the scorpion who is big points.

There is a certain Spider movement pattern I dread in this 5200 version -- the only way I can think to describe it is he bounces up & down in little spurts near the bottom of the screen and quickly flies across the screen, usually smashing into me.

It's bi-weekly???

yes, i have to do it bi-weekly, easier for me and what I have going on in real life, sometimes i'm away from a computer for days, but usually not, either way, bi-weekly is how it's going to be.

Ok then :)

More time to try and improve my score!

Edited by Lord Helmet

ok guys only a couple days left, lets get some power centepede playing in.

As for myself, i'm bowing out disgracefully, I suck something fierce at this game, can barely get above 20,000 so I know there's no hope in winning. Boy, can't wait til next game!!

I don't own many 5200 titles but I just wanted to post here to show support for the 5200 high score club. I only own these games so if someone wants to keep me posted when they are the current title I would love to play:

Super Pacman

Jr Pacman

Frisky Tom

Gyruss

Jungle Hunt

Pengo

Missle Command

River Raid