Guitarman

New Twist on a Very Good 1200XL Upgrade

What are you set up to be? Are you running an 800XL OS? It is supposed to boot to self-test if you don't have a boot drive hooked up to SIO. There is no FUJI screen in an 800XL. Can you hear SIO activity when you power on?

Bob

it makes the same sound that I hear with my other non 1200  Ataris.  I am running an 800XL OS, and I installed a BASIC C Eprom. I was under the impression that the computer would boot to basic. It also boots to mem test when I boot with Option pressed.

11 minutes ago, hueyjones70 said:

I was under the impression that the computer would boot to basic. It also boots to mem test when I boot with Option pressed.

Is OPTION accidentally being stuck (held pressed) or reading incorrectly? Go to the keyboard self test and verify. 

If the OPTION key is being read correctly, then something about your mod is incorrect. Post photos for others to see what you might have missed.

The Option, Select, Start, and Reset work as they should with PAC-MAN.  If I pull the basic EPROM, the computer does the same thing as it does with the EPROM installed.  I have used 2 different EPROMS. I got them from NEZGAR and I have used maybe a dozen of them and had no problems.  Here are some pictures of the mod.  When I changed EPROMs I decided to use a connector instead of soldering to the IC.  I used tiny pieces of a dual wipe socket. I did two of the wires on the underside of the MB.

1011374498_1200XLOSmodd.thumb.jpg.5f569aaa7c09b5e699076a86bd638662.jpg1457157096_1200XLOSmodc.thumb.jpg.835d9a57803e6e0f2c3bcc7b377844ce.jpg

1200XL OS mod a.jpg

I can't tell you how many times I read 11, 12, and 13 and didn't see that I had 9, 11, and 12. Thanks.

I did copy a set of instructions that had 9, 11, and 12. I also saw a version that said to cut a trace on the MB.

I found that I was using two different sets of instructions.  When I adjusted everything to fit the instructions in this thread everything worked as it was intended.  Everything is now good.

• Like 2

Please post the good instructions you found for the benefit of the public.

:)

11 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

Please post the good instructions you found for the benefit of the public.

:)

They are in the first post of this topic.