IGNORED

what games to use with Trackball?

PeeknPoke

It'll work in joystick mode on pretty much anything that uses a joystick with varying results. As for "true" trac-ball mode, I can't think of any original release that uses it. Mine sits on the shelf and looks nice but it's pretty useless without the ability to have varying speeds like a real trac-ball.

I believe that some people have found that sports games that require a lot of fast rythmic back and forth on the joystick works very well. Decathalon and most of the Epyx sports games are this way. Some events do not work well at all with the trackball, so I use a y cable adapter to switch rapidly between the two.

Im confused? ;)

So if I played Missle Command with it why would it not use a "true" trakball mode?

Thought I would just roll the ball and control what is on screen.

Is normal released Missle Command (not the Thomas edit) playable on it? I just want to play some

games like they were on the arcade cabs

Lee

If you spin it, the cursor will move but at a constant rate of speed like it would with a joystick.

"True" tracball mode would mean that the faster you spun the ball the faster the cursor will move. If you've ever played Centipede or Missile Command in the arcade(or on a 5200 with it's tracball) you'll see the difference.

"True" tracball mode would mean that the faster you spun the ball the faster the cursor will move. If you've ever played Centipede or Missile Command in the arcade(or on a 5200 with it's tracball) you'll see the difference.

Yup. And the difference is HUGE! :)

I too found out the hard way after shelling out some moola for one of these. I dreamed of playing Missle Command, Crystal Castles, and Millipede like they were supposed to be played.

Are there any hacks for Millipede to use the ball properly? If I knew how to program I'd do it myself but I'm clueless other than writing batch files. :P

I too found out the hard way after shelling out some moola for one of these. I dreamed of playing Missle Command, Crystal Castles, and Millipede like they were supposed to be played.

Are there any hacks for Millipede to use the ball properly? If I knew how to program I'd do it myself but I'm clueless other than writing batch files. :P

There is a 7800 Centipede hack that uses it. IT's AWESOME.

Any arcade title that used it should give you good results as long as the controller is in Joystick mode. I have not seen Reactor on the list.

I'd try any game that lets you move around the screen freely. Some will work better than others, but at least this way, you'll find out which ones you prefer the ball for.

• 2 weeks later...

If you spin it, the cursor will move but at a constant rate of speed like it would with a joystick.

Speaking of the 5200 trak-ball, I just placed a bid on one on eBay today.