IGNORED

600/800XL Keyboard variants

Beetle

24 minutes ago, mimo said:

No way would I put a mechanical keyboard in the dishwasher.

I'm sure people more knowledgeable than me will be along soon, but isopropyl and  contact cleaner would be my choice

That's sort of what I was thinking, but wanted to get others' opinions. Thanks. I need to pickup some contact cleaner and some smaller brushes.

• Like 1

On these Atari mechanical keyboards (referring to ALPS and AWC), what do people do to lubricate the switches.  I have 4 mechanical keyboards, I have the two different AWC versions (one version has 'T' shaped posts, the other '-' shaped posts, plus the ALPS has its own shape.  Of the two ALPS, one is new on the 800XL I bought as a spare years ago when these were being sold off by retailers at the end of the 8 bit days (think I paid $50 ?).  That one works awesome.  Then I have another just like it that appears new, but has a gritty binding feeling when typing.

On the AWC's, the one with the 'T' shaped plungers works wonderfully, and the other with the more '-' shaped switch plungers binds a lot.  Is this due to dust getting into the switch ?  Or lubrication that has dried up ?

I was thinking of trying silicone lube applied with a q-tip to the plungers.  But I'm curious what others do to get the best out of their mechanical XL keyboard.

with the metal contact leaf and the metal rod variants I use deoxit to clean them.. ever so slight silicon lube on the outer stalks to get the travel nice and smooth... I never like to disturb the leafs if I can as just wetting them with deoxit and using the key seems to do the job, then a slight outer lube an a little  use to give it smooth movement again. Not normally needed to do anything else. To many people bend the leafs etc when they got the rub and scrub route. You never want water or corrosive surficants like a dishwasher uses to touch the contacts in the keyboard ever!

34 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

You never want water or corrosive surficants like a dishwasher uses to touch the contacts in the keyboard ever!

This is pretty much what I was thinking, but glad to have you guys confirm. I think most of the dishwasher methods I've read of, or seen videos for, were mylar keyboards, not mechanical. I'm still not sure I'd want to use that method for any keyboard. It works great for empty case shells, but I prefer a more hands on approach for keyboards.

I think I'm going to order some DeoxIT and a small brush set similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LZ649V/

Thanks for the comments. I don't want to derail the variants thread anymore than I already have.

Edited by bfollowell

• 2 months later...

I'm curious about the little resistor connector board that come with at least some 600XLs. I received a 600XL that didn't have one, but it has a mylar keyboard. Did all 600XLs come with this board, or only those with mechanical keyboards?

Also, I'm looking for a Y keycap for a Type 2 AWC mechanical keyboard. If anyone has a keyboard they're parting out or can otherwise can spare the key, please let me know.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I'm curious about the little resistor connector board that come with at least some 600XLs. I received a 600XL that didn't have one, but it has a mylar keyboard. Did all 600XLs come with this board, or only those with mechanical keyboards?

Also, I'm looking for a Y keycap for a Type 2 AWC mechanical keyboard. If anyone has a keyboard they're parting out or can otherwise can spare the key, please let me know.

Thanks.

Post me a picture of the keyboard for the key you are after, see what I can do

51 minutes ago, mistapaul said:

Thanks! Here's a rough picture of it. I don't have the keyboard in hand quite yet, or I'd take a better closeup of the top of the switch.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.6659bad3f6e58a3fa6649911d1079361.jpg

From the number on the board, it appears to be a Type 2, AWC keyboard, part number 70166201. That being said, the top of the switches look a little different from this picture than they do from another Type 2, AWC, part number 70166201 keyboard that I have in hand from someone's computer that I'm upgrading, so I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by bfollowell

25 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Thanks! Here's a rough picture of it. I don't have the keyboard in hand quite yet, or I'd take a better closeup of the top of the switch.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.6659bad3f6e58a3fa6649911d1079361.jpg

From the number on the board, it appears to be a Type 2, AWC keyboard, part number 70166201. That being said, the top of the switches look a little different from this picture than they do from another Type 2, AWC, part number 70166201 keyboard that I have in hand from someone's computer that I'm upgrading, so I'm not 100% sure.

Hi the keyboard I have spares for is awc 70166202. Don't know how different they are...

7 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 2:00 PM, mistapaul said:

Just found a rev 4 70166201-3, any good?

Well, I finally received this keyboard. It is a Type 3 AWC keyboard, model number 70166205-1, part number 100005 Rev.02. However, the keys and the typeface don't look like the example shown in the original post of variations. The keycaps themselves look more like what is shown on a Type 2 AWC. Also, the key switches and mount shaft look different than a Type 2, though the key cap itself is a regular cross type, so may be compatible with the Type 2, though the mount shaft itself is actually broken on this one, so even if I have a compatible Y key cap, I still need a switch or at least the mount shaft, assuming that I can disassemble the switch and replace it.

On a positive note, it's fairly clean, the connector end of the cable is in decent condition, and all the switches seem to work perfectly. Now if I can just find a replacement switch and a Y key cap.

Here's some pictures.

IMG-5897b.thumb.jpg.ee3da4e8a9a751b1c1230d4c46016f83.jpg

IMG-5898b.thumb.jpg.8a1b9000d50751eb1ba87fff1c72e9d0.jpg

IMG-5899b.thumb.jpg.6483b87d50d28da555a60bc9c5a662fe.jpg

IMG-5900b.thumb.jpg.f32daf3acae2eb83a439ff49e86c936d.jpg

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 11:44 AM, bfollowell said:

Now if I can just find a replacement switch and a Y key cap.

Here's some pictures.

IMG-5897b.thumb.jpg.ee3da4e8a9a751b1c1230d4c46016f83.jpg

Yeah, I need a key switch of this type as well.. (hard to see and I have a piece of heat shrink stuffed in there to block the contacts from touching, but same type.)

20220220_005442.jpg

Edited by lowlevel

• 6 months later...
On 2/8/2022 at 5:44 PM, bfollowell said:

However, the keys and the typeface don't look like the example shown in the original post of variations. The keycaps themselves look more like what is shown on a Type 2 AWC. Also, the key switches and mount shaft look different than a Type 2, though the key cap itself is a regular cross type, so may be compatible with the Type 2,

IMG-5899b.thumb.jpg.6483b87d50d28da555a60bc9c5a662fe.jpg

I have exactly the same keyboard on my 600XL that I just got a few days ago.

The feel of the keyboard is quite mushy and keys seems to be blocking all the time.

I was able to test some other XL's keyboards this weekend, and both 800XL keyboards were amazing. I guess these were the ALPS. Both had the filled box around the control lettering. We had a comparison between this and the Mega65s keyboard, which is deemed like a really really good one, and I have to say the ALPS is quite near. If the M65's one is a 9, the ALPS one was a 8 for me. YMMV.

But then I tested another 600XLs keyboard, and it was the same bad feeling like mine.

Is there anything I can do to improve this keyboard, our should I look out for a replacement?
I really don't like the feel of this keyboard, and after having experienced the amazing ALPS one it feels a bit inadequate.. lol... :D

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 11/15/2021 at 3:40 AM, cwilbar said:

On these Atari mechanical keyboards (referring to ALPS and AWC), what do people do to lubricate the switches.  [snip]

On the AWC's, the one with the 'T' shaped plungers works wonderfully, and the other with the more '-' shaped switch plungers binds a lot.  Is this due to dust getting into the switch ?  Or lubrication that has dried up ?

I was thinking of trying silicone lube applied with a q-tip to the plungers.  But I'm curious what others do to get the best out of their mechanical XL keyboard.

Hi all, a new member here. Hoping to lose my Atari virginity in a few days, with and Alps/Type 1 Atari 800 XL, this topic has been indispensible!

Now, given that many people lube their PC keyboards, I was wondering the same as the member above... Have you tried lubing your mechanical keyboard, how did you go about it, and how did it work out?

I am particularly interested in Alps/Type 1, but I am certain your input would be of general interest on this topic...

5 minutes ago, WxAxNxDxExRxExR said:

Hi all, a new member here. Hoping to lose my Atari virginity in a few days, with and Alps/Type 1 Atari 800 XL, this topic has been indispensible!

Now, given that many people lube their PC keyboards, I was wondering the same as the member above... Have you tried lubing your mechanical keyboard, how did you go about it, and how did it work out?

I am particularly interested in Alps/Type 1, but I am certain your input would be of general interest on this topic...

I would first make sure the keys work/respond and then if needed use contact cleaner, (I use WD40 brand but over in the US the Detoxit cleaner is always raved about)

I've owed all XL keyboards and had a great mny pass through my hands. Had many ALPS and AWCs. Generally because these don't hook or jam they are great to type on. However, I've notice not all alps keyboards are consistantly good. 

Sometimes I've found with a newly acquired XL keyboard, if it is an alps or one f the nicer variants of AWC, and it feels a little resistant to type on - it's sometimes down to the fact it's not been used for several decades. Hitting the keys several times each key can really help.

I must admit I've never needed to lube keys.

Edited by Beeblebrox