IGNORED

600/800XL Keyboard variants

Beetle

• 1 month later...

I have a clean 800XL (made in Hong Kong) with a keyboard that is not functioning. Most of the keys don't work at all. A few work occasionally and will sometimes return the wrong character (e.g. F -> 4). I ordered a new mylar from Best and when I cracked it open discovered that it has a Type 1 Alps keyboard. No new mylar for this one!

Did you find a fix for it? Tried swapping PoKey with a known good?

• 5 months later...

Anyone know if you can get replacement copper springs for the type 4? They are about an inch long and are used as the 'post' to cause contact in the mylar. If not, can I replace the whole keyboard with any type, or do I need to get another type 4? Previous owner jury rigged it, but it didn't work that great. Can provide pics if needed.

22 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

can I replace the whole keyboard with any type

Any type XL keyboard will work as a replacement. BEST sells brand new old stock keyboards, complete with ribbons.  However for the price that they want for them, I'd say that your better bet would be to pick up a cheap "untested" or not fully working 600XL on eBay and swap out the keyboard from that.  As a bonus, you'll get some extra chips from the board (including a POKEY).  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SS said:

Any type XL keyboard will work as a replacement. BEST sells brand new old stock keyboards, complete with ribbons.  However for the price that they want for them, I'd say that your better bet would be to pick up a cheap "untested" or not fully working 600XL on eBay and swap out the keyboard from that.  As a bonus, you'll get some extra chips from the board (including a POKEY).  

Thank you, good idea. I will probably end up going this route.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up finding a spring that was pretty close. A wee bit skinnier in diameter and a bit longer. I cut it down a bit and it works good! It's a weeee bit harder to press, but if you didn't know, you might not be able to tell. And it is definitely waaay better than the first kludge, which I think used a q-tip section instead of a spring. It was expertly done, but without the spring action, was noticeably different than the other keys.

img_0426.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, invisible kid said:

I ended up finding a spring that was pretty close. A wee bit skinnier in diameter and a bit longer. I cut it down a bit and it works good! It's a weeee bit harder to press, but if you didn't know, you might not be able to tell. And it is definitely waaay better than the first kludge, which I think used a q-tip section instead of a spring. It was expertly done, but without the spring action, was noticeably different than the other keys.

img_0426.jpg

I just stumbled across this thread.

Not sure, if it´s helpful, but I've a couple of these ones left....

Gtx.,

andY

1557055738578.jpg

1557055738720.jpg

1557055738827.jpg

1557055738938.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, invisible kid said:

Nice! I'd ask for one, but it looks like it would have quite the journey to get here! Since the new spring is working pretty good, I'll leave it at that. I will say I'm drooling over that pile of stock springs! lol

Yes, ya´re right, of course. 

If it works well for you there is no need for it ??.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 3:42 PM, scitari said:

I have a clean 800XL (made in Hong Kong) with a keyboard that is not functioning. Most of the keys don't work at all. A few work occasionally and will sometimes return the wrong character (e.g. F -> 4). I ordered a new mylar from Best and when I cracked it open discovered that it has a Type 1 Alps keyboard. No new mylar for this one!

800XL-Alps-Keyboard.jpg

Based on what you describe, what you most likely have bad components / IC (responsible for handling the keyboard) on that 800XL (not the keyboard).

The very good news is that, it is highly likely you also have Hong-Kong Rev.C motherboard as well, which is fully socketed and has the distinction of having the I/O resistors near the Joystick ports packed in two BLACK or RED neat blocks. Based on the prior and later boards I have seen, probably the best overall.

What all that means is that it should be pretty easy to repair, and there should be nothing wrong with the keyboard per se, as long as there is no corrosion or mis-contact on the keyboard's ribbon-terminal (which is VERY delicate, and should be handled with lots of care when unplugging or re-plugging).

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, tt_atari said:

Hi everyone. I have an 800 XL that has AWC type keyboard. It is missing "A" key and the switch underneath is broken. Does anyone know where I can get a switch / key cap? TIA.

You can usually get switches and key caps from Best electronics. I have some spare switches and I would give you one if I have the same switch. Take a really close up picture and post it.

13 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

You can usually get switches and key caps from Best electronics. I have some spare switches and I would give you one if I have the same switch. Take a really close up picture and post it.

Thanks Huey. Pictures attached. Excuse the dust, been in storage and have not had the chance to clean it up yet ! :)

800XL_Key_Switch_3.jpg

800XL_Key_Switch_2.jpg

800XL_Key_Switch_1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Back2skooldaze said:

Hi does anyone have a good condition fully working atari 800xl keyboard for sale.

Best Electronics apparently still has some but they're a bit on the pricey side.  However, if you have a mylar type Stackpole keyboard you can order a completely new mylar from Best and replace it yourself for about 1/2 the price.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/800xl.htm#Wizz

Edited by SS

Hi mine does not have a mylar otherwise I would.

I've sent 2 emails to best electronics but no reply 

I've put Atari in the subject line to avoid it going to there spam email or deleted. I desperately want a keyboard for my 800xl I don't mind the cost if new from best electronics. Can some in USA give them a nudge for me please.

11 minutes ago, Back2skooldaze said:

I've put Atari in the subject line to avoid it going to there spam email or deleted. I desperately want a keyboard for my 800xl I don't mind the cost if new from best electronics. Can some in USA give them a nudge for me please.

Try my Atari on eBay (used to be B+C computer vision) http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Atari-Sales-and-Service/Atari-Portfolio-/_i.html?_fsub=8&

They don't list everything they have in stock

Fantastic post! I remember my Atari as a kid being so easy to type on - then I get an Atari years later and thought - well, its been years! Who knows? Perhaps I remember it wrong.

I recently got another Atari and noticed... this keyboard is much better... and now I know why. The next time I am inside these I will pull them apart and find exactly which ones I own. Thanks to the OP for this.

12 minutes ago, MrFSL said:

Fantastic post! I remember my Atari as a kid being so easy to type on - then I get an Atari years later and thought - well, its been years! Who knows? Perhaps I remember it wrong.

I recently got another Atari and noticed... this keyboard is much better... and now I know why. The next time I am inside these I will pull them apart and find exactly which ones I own. Thanks to the OP for this.

Indeed! There's a big difference between most of them.  No need to open the computer to see what keyboards are they. It's not difficult to distinguish them apart.

Edited by Sugarland

4 hours ago, Back2skooldaze said:

You said you had a 'revision 4' which I presume you meant to say 'type 4'?? The type 4 has a mylar.  Share a photo of the top of the keyboard and if possible (no need to take it apart) the underside of the keyboard. Type 4 has a solid aluminum 1mm thick metal underside, often with a Stackpole sticker.

• Like 1