IGNORED

TI-99/4A websites that don't suck?

The TI users group on Yahoo is pretty active. More active than some other retro-computer groups I've seen.

For my own part, I've been working on a vintage CRPG styled after Ultima, Phantasie, The Magic Candle, etc., exclusively for the TI. I have a blog and an article website up for it at the following URL's:

Development Blog:

http://www.adamantyr.com/

Article Site:

http://www.adamantyr.com/crpg

Not sure when it will be done, since I work on it on hobby time, and real life interferes quite a bit. Going to shoot to have it done by the end of the year, though.

Adamantyr

The TI users group on Yahoo is pretty active. More active than some other retro-computer groups I've seen.

For my own part, I've been working on a vintage CRPG styled after Ultima, Phantasie, The Magic Candle, etc., exclusively for the TI. I have a blog and an article website up for it at the following URL's:

Cool! :cool: I see my old friend Mauve is still hanging around. :D

• 1 year later...

There's a fair bit of talk in this thread regarding component video mods for the TMS9928A VDP. I've got a solution to the muted colors and/or the oversaturated blues here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/151201-colecovision-component-video-mod-questions/page__fromsearch__1

Thanks and enjoy,

5-11under

• 2 weeks later...

There are not too many sites that I spend much time at. If you can deal with paranoia, the Yahoo group at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/ is still relatively active (last time I checked they were still checking references at the door though ;) ).

I'm active in a bunch of retro game/computer areas on yahoo but that wasn't good enough for the moderator, they wanted me to answer a ridiculously personal questionnaire and I said no so I was rejected. That's been a couple years ago and unless the policy has changed I'm not going to bother applying again.

• 1 month later...

There are not too many sites that I spend much time at. If you can deal with paranoia, the Yahoo group at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/ is still relatively active (last time I checked they were still checking references at the door though ;) ).

I'm active in a bunch of retro game/computer areas on yahoo but that wasn't good enough for the moderator, they wanted me to answer a ridiculously personal questionnaire and I said no so I was rejected. That's been a couple years ago and unless the policy has changed I'm not going to bother applying again.

That questionnaire is only to weed out the spammers and harvesters. Tom told me he doesn't even really care what you enter there.

But it isn't the only TI group. There is also swpb and TI994A groups...

• 2 months later...

I'm also personally happy to help with TI99 related questions - here, or my personal forums, or at 99er.net. :)

I have a question. I am a collector of vintage game consoles and have come across the chance to get a TI-99/4A with disk drives, expansion bay, expander to hold three carts at one time, speech synth, controllers, games and software and a few other things with it for free, and there is nothing wrong with it, works perfectly. Do you think it is a good deal and do you think it would be a good computer for collecting to start out with as this would be my first 8-bit computer and probably the last system I would be getting for awhile seeing as I am still in college and living with my parents and probably do not have much room left, plus my parents already think I have to many systems. I will admit though one reason I am thinking of getting it is how good some of the atarisoft ports look for it, like centipede. I already have centipede for my Atary 7800 but everytime I put it in then try to take it out it seems to get stuck and make this creaking and craking sound like the pins are being pulled out of the motherboard on the system. Plus there is moonpatrol and burger time which are sadly not on the Atari 7800, well burger time is but I could probably get it cheaper for the computer. The other reason I am thinking about it is that the owner said that if I do not take it he might just throw everything away which would such a waste. Another question though that is a bit off topic but does it seem like some of the newer generation of gamers do not respect the classics and are only worried about graphics. One review on youtube I watch on the comments was a kid sayiing that, I beleive it was a showcase of some atari 2600 games, the games looked horribly and that the graphics sucked so it must be borring and horrible to play what is wrong with some of the younger kids these days. they should know that older games were fun back then and they still are today. That is why my youtube page at ATARI800XLfan is about how much fun older and newer games are. Since when did the graphcis become more important then gameplay. I would rather have a simple looking game that I can pick up and play then something I have to look through the manual all the time or the controls are just broken. Thank you for your time.

Holy cow! If you can get the whole bunch for free, I would say go for it! It's a very fine machine and of high quality.

Too bad you don't get this stuff for free on my side of the planet :)

Myelf I have 2 expansion bays and 8 consoles, Gram Kracker device, 3 CF7A+ compact devices and a lot of game modules.

There is a renewed interest in the TI-99/4A. You might want to check out the TI game shelf for an overview of some of the games which you can download and store on disk for playing on the TI.

It also sports my version of Pitfall! for the TI-99/4A (shameless plug) :D

Holy cow! If you can get the whole bunch for free, I would say go for it! It's a very fine machine and of high quality.

Too bad you don't get this stuff for free on my side of the planet :)

Myelf I have 2 expansion bays and 8 consoles, Gram Kracker device, 3 CF7A+ compact devices and a lot of game modules.

There is a renewed interest in the TI-99/4A. You might want to check out the TI game shelf for an overview of some of the games which you can download and store on disk for playing on the TI.

It also sports my version of Pitfall! for the TI-99/4A (shameless plug) :D

Thank you for the quick response. I to have noticed the renewed interest in vintage gaming, guess games have gotten so advanced graphics wise that it does not impress as much as it used to. Also I have decided to take the deal.

Excellent! Would be a shame that such fine piece of equipment is just sitting around somewhere or worse

ends in a dumpster. The fun about retro computing/gaming is that there is so much to explore.

Would you mind listing your configuration when you get it (cartridges, cards in the expansion bay, etc),

perhaps some pictures ? :)

I always liked this site:

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/

I think its got great coverage of the TI99

Curt

Excellent! Would be a shame that such fine piece of equipment is just sitting around somewhere or worse

ends in a dumpster. The fun about retro computing/gaming is that there is so much to explore.

Would you mind listing your configuration when you get it (cartridges, cards in the expansion bay, etc),

Sure I will try as soon as I get it. The owner does not know exactly when he will be able to get it for me. I meet hime in college and that is the only time we are able to meet is during classes, He did say it will be sometime before your spring semester ends. By the just wondering while I am on the discussion of vintage collecting what systems do you have in your collection. So far I have a Atari 7800, Atari Lynx model 2, Neo Geo aes, Neo Geo pocket, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Nomad and the systems I still have from when I was younger which inlclude My SNES, N64, and my newest one My Xbox 360, My laptop, Plus my family's 6 year old computer I rebuilt last year, Plus I collect sega Saturn games. Thank you for your time.