IGNORED

The Jag

sciarpo

It has been 11 years since the Jag died. It still amazes me that there sill is a following. Do you think there is such a following for other dead systems of the day, ie: 3D0, Saturn or N64( I know it came a little later). Also of the 64 bit systems how far short would you say the Jaguar compares to the N64? Last point: Do you think we'll still be talking about the Jaguar 10 years from now and can we say other than the $400+ Battlesphere that we can say the Jaguar will have something to be better quality than the Playstation? In my opinion some Jag games already qualify. But I always wondered if the Jaguar could have handled something like the original Resident Evil.

It has been 11 years since the Jag died. It still amazes me that there sill is a following. Do you think there is such a following for other dead systems of the day, ie: 3D0, Saturn or N64( I know it came a little later). Also of the 64 bit systems how far short would you say the Jaguar compares to the N64? Last point: Do you think we'll still be talking about the Jaguar 10 years from now and can we say other than the $400+ Battlesphere that we can say the Jaguar will have something to be better quality than the Playstation? In my opinion some Jag games already qualify. But I always wondered if the Jaguar could have handled something like the original Resident Evil.

thats just it the jaguar isnt dead yet :D and hell yeah it will still be here for another decade or so. also if you search hard enough youll find other support for dead systems, but the jaguar scene is the best though. :D

Ya, the Jag really does have a hardcore following. It's pretty cool. I know the Saturn has a huge following. The N64 has tons of fans too. The 3DO...Probably not even half as big a following as the Jag. As far as Jag vs. N64...I'd say the Jag has about 10-15 must have games and the N64 has maybe 25-30. But, the N64 has about 5-10 extremely high caliber games...Whereas the Jag has maybe 3-5 high caliber games...but nothing on the level of Nintendo in-house games, in my opinion. :) I think the Jag will be very alive and well in 10 years. I bet it will have an even bigger following by then.

As far as better quality than the Playstation, the Jag itself seems to be more reliable. I've experienced a lot of problems with the original PS1 system, and have read countless stories of them breaking etc. The Jag, not so much. They seem to hold up really well. Of course, it would be a better comparison with the Jag CD vs the PS since both are CD and CD systems tend to be more breakable, and the Jag CD is much like the PS in that they tend to be fragile and finicky. As far as software...kinda hard for the Jag to compete with the PS's grahics and sound capabilities.

Plus, the PS had so many top-notch developers that actually cared about creating masterpieces for the system...The Jag? Almost no developers I'm sure cared much since the Jag was hardly ever a success and said developers products never sold well. The original Resident Evil could be done on the Jag CD. It would be much much harder to create than the PS version, though. And it would lack many graphical effects that the PS can pull off. It would probably have a lot less texture mapping and the framerate would probably be pretty hurtin', too. It could be done though, imo.

Edited by kevincal

Ya, the Jag really does have a hardcore following. It's pretty cool. I know the Saturn has a huge following. The N64 has tons of fans too. The 3DO...Probably not even half as big a following as the Jag. As far as Jag vs. N64...I'd say the Jag has about 10-15 must have games and the N64 has maybe 25-30. But, the N64 has about 5-10 extremely high caliber games...Whereas the Jag has maybe 3-5 high caliber games...but nothing on the level of Nintendo in-house games, in my opinion. :) I think the Jag will be very alive and well in 10 years. I bet it will have an even bigger following by then.

As far as better quality than the Playstation, the Jag itself seems to be more reliable. I've experienced a lot of problems with the original PS1 system, and have read countless stories of them breaking etc. The Jag, not so much. They seem to hold up really well. Of course, it would be a better comparison with the Jag CD vs the PS since both are CD and CD systems tend to be more breakable, and the Jag CD is much like the PS in that they tend to be fragile and finicky. As far as software...kinda hard for the Jag to compete with the PS's grahics and sound capabilities.

Plus, the PS had so many top-notch developers that actually cared about creating masterpieces for the system...The Jag? Almost no developers I'm sure cared much since the Jag was hardly ever a success and said developers products never sold well. The original Resident Evil could be done on the Jag CD. It would be much much harder to create than the PS version, though. And it would lack many graphical effects that the PS can pull off. It would probably have a lot less texture mapping and the framerate would probably be pretty hurtin', too. It could be done though, imo.

the jaguar would have destroyed the competition,had it released its VR headset,followed by the Jaguar Voice Modem (JVM),followed by the Web-Adapter(Cortina),hell all of them were in development,even protos exist and they still hadnt released that JagDuo or Jag2,which would have been so powerful(atleast in speculation), some even say the jaguar cd player loads much faster than the playstation. the jaguar was way ahead of its time :D (just not in software,lol)

The Jag is a strange beast. Powerful and cool and weird, and hopelessly killed by Atari just like many of their other products.

And it would lack many graphical effects that the PS can pull off. It would probably have a lot less texture mapping and the framerate would probably be pretty hurtin', too. It could be done though, imo.

I agree - the Jag could do a version of Resident Evil that would blow! :P

:lust: Jaguar have free development tools, now

other system no

:cool: than, new games are developed by fan

:D all CD games can be downloaded and burn

:| for cartidge game, i don't have the solution yet (maybe an adaptador for SD cards...)

guillem

It has been 11 years since the Jag died. It still amazes me that there sill is a following. Do you think there is such a following for other dead systems of the day, ie: 3D0, Saturn or N64( I know it came a little later).

The "thrashed" and underdog systems always end up with the most hardcore fan followings. That said, I believe there´s the whole "retro-culture" to consider also. Look at the 2600, the Commodore 64, the ZX Spectrum, the NES etc.

The retro communities are thriving and having the time of their life.

My guess is, that those that grew up with the older systems on a limited income, ie being kids, have now decided that they want what they wished for back then no matter what.

Also of the 64 bit systems how far short would you say the Jaguar compares to the N64?

The N64 outperforms the Jaguar in every department IMO.

Do you think we'll still be talking about the Jaguar 10 years from now and can we say other than the $400+ Battlesphere that we can say the Jaguar will have something to be better quality than the Playstation?

Yes, we´ll still be talking about the Jaguar ten years from now. Tempest 2000 and AvP will still be revered alongside BattleSphere as the highlights of the Jaguar.

the jaguar would have destroyed the competition,had it released its VR headset,followed by the Jaguar Voice Modem (JVM),followed by the Web-Adapter(Cortina),hell all of them were in development,even protos exist and they still hadnt released that JagDuo or Jag2,which would have been so powerful(atleast in speculation), some even say the jaguar cd player loads much faster than the playstation. the jaguar was way ahead of its time :D (just not in software,lol)

I've been hearing people say the Jag CD loads faster than the PS...but I think in many cases this may be because most PS games had a lot more content than Jag CD games...sadly, lol.

I've never seen the N64 do any 2D games, but the Jag had some 2D games that blew all the other 2D games of the time away... at least graphically... look at Ruiner Pinball for an example... that game had me so ready for more 2D games on the Jag, but they were very few and far between after that... if only more developers had explored it in 2D... I think that was one of the Jag's biggest downfalls... it relied too much on its 3D abilities, which weren't as good or were only marginally better than the 3D abilities of all the other systems of the time... hell, even the Genesis and the SNES could do 3D flat shaded polygon games... not on the scale that the Jag could do them, but they could do them... so most people at the time were looking at the Jag and asking what it could do that the other systems couldn't... and the most compelling response was Tempest 2000 and the VLM... then Tempest 2000 came out for the Saturn and the PS, and everyone was asking why they should get a Jag and a Jag CD just so they could play with the VLM... and there really weren't any other compelling reasons that were more compelling than the other systems of the time... the VR unit could've turned all that around, but sadly Atari lost its nuts on it, and VR still remains an arcade only experience...