IGNORED

Gyruss on paddles or driver contlr

dwh

Actually, I don't think any arcade version of Gyruss was made with a spinner control. Every one I've seen uses a joystick, and MAME doesn't give any hints that a dial can be used for input. Of course, it would still be pretty neat to try it with a spinner, it would just be interesting to see how well it translates.

The driving controller isn't a high resolution controller. So the ship's movement resolution would have to be descreased or you'd have to completely rotate the controller 4 times (I think) to get all the way around the circle. Halving the number of possible ship positions might achieve a good balance, though.

-Paul

Well I'll be... I looked up Gyruss and I guess it normally came with a standard joystick. I guess the one I saw was someo kind of special conversion or hack since it used a joystick that looked very similar to 720's. Weird! I'm going to have to go back to that arcade and look now.

Tempest

Is it like the joystick for 720?

No. Gyruss is and always has been controlled by your standard 8 directional joystick. It works great for the game actually and controls really well.

Any other configuration spotted at any arcade was probably a hack or some kind of 'locally customized' controls.

John Dondzila did a Gyruss clone for the Vectrex ... called Wormhole. It uses the "compass" directional control using the joystick.

Now Chris Tumber has come out with a Tempest clone for the Vectrex .. called Tsunami which can use the joystick for L/R control, joystick for "compass" control, or the Driving Controller for spinner control. 3 different ways of control!

I mentioned to Thomas about the possibility of hacking Beamrider to use the driving controller.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

(driving controller user since 1977)

• 14 years later...

Gyruss was controlled witih a Joystick that was tilted outward and could move only in a circle. It was a strange design that worked quite well, and no home version has been able to reproduce it.

Tempest

Necrobump!

The control scheme for Gyruss came up in IRC, where the discussion was about a joystick for Gyruss, but I remember the exact same control scheme that Tempest mentions. Unfortunately, I can't find any information about this. Has anyone else see this control scheme for Gyruss?