IGNORED

NBA Jam T.E. for 6.99?

krypton85

arcade perfect all the cdes work lncluding playing as Bill Clinton, Will convince naysayers that the Jag rules, also team tap works so you and 4 players can play at the same time...when I got back in the Jag sceen I was very surprised this game came out and that it was 100% complete.

I've always read the PS and Saturn versions are a bit better in every way to the Jag version. Any truth to this? Or just the typical media bias against the Jaguar...? ;)

Bias, Propaganda, you know, same thing. NBA TE is great on the jag, not to mention the load times are like half what they are on the PS1.

I've always read the PS and Saturn versions are a bit better in every way to the Jag version. Any truth to this? Or just the typical media bias against the Jaguar...? ;)

I would assume the graphics and music are "slightly better" on those other two systems but not by much. They probably came out later, didn't they? (Release dates anyone?) All I've heard is that the computer is much cheaper on the PS and Saturn versions than on the Jaguar cart. Wouldn't your records have to be saved on a memory card with those other systems anyway? ;) The Jaguar version will put your user records right on the cart. I like that a whole lot better. That and the loading times.

Krypton: As for the price, that is a fair price. Given the inflated price that the Jaguar version of NBA Jam TE goes for on Ebay and online stores compared to ANY guide out there, you got yourself a good deal.

Edited by smashalley

I would assume the graphics and music are "slightly better" on those other two systems but not by much. They probably came out later, didn't they? (Release dates anyone?) All I've heard is that the computer is much cheaper on the PS and Saturn versions than on the Jaguar cart. Wouldn't your records have to be saved on a memory card with those other systems anyway? ;) The Jaguar version will put your user records right on the cart. I like that a whole lot better. That and the loading times.

Besides the Jaguar version of the game, I also own the PlayStation version of the game, which I personally purchased on PlayStation launch day (9/9/95) as my first game for that system. The Saturn version was released shortly after the PlayStation version--probably about a month later. The Jaguar version was released in January 1996, although I didn't get it until about a year after that.

I've only played the Saturn version briefly on one occasion, but I recall it's pretty close to the PlayStation version. So I'll mainly compare the PlayStation and Jaguar versions here.

Graphics: PlayStation wins by a small margin. The game looks a little more colorful on PlayStation overall, and in particular the "on fire" effect with the flaming basketball looks really nice--perhaps even better than the arcade game. Jaguar version holds up pretty well, and it's very noticeably better looking than the Genesis, SNES, and 32X versions--no mistaking this one for a 16-bit game!

Sound: PlayStation by a fairly decent margin. The sound effects are roughly equal, and the fact that the Jaguar version on a cartridge has almost as many voice clips as the PlayStation (including all of the player names, even!) is remarkable. However, the music on the Jaguar doesn't fare too well, while the PlayStation version has great music.

Control: Equally responsive. It boils down to whatever controller(s) you own and/or prefer to use.

Gameplay: This is where the Jaguar really comes out roaring. The Jaguar version plays fine, just as you would expect. The PlayStation version, on the other hand, has a few flaws (likely caused by being rushed for the system launch) which affect the playability:

1. The difficulty level settings are reversed--the easiest setting is actually the hardest, and the hardest setting is actually the easiest. This is ultimately minor, though, as now that you've read this paragraph you know how to compensate for it. The other flaws, though, aren't quite so easy to compensate.

2. As smashalley mentioned, the computer seems to play noticeably "cheaper" even on the easier settings, with frequent steals and blocks, ratcheted up even compared to the arcade game.

3. Possibly as a result of "cheaper" AI, your computer teammate sometimes hinders your progress in attempting to score. Let me give an example: You leave your opponents in the dust, make a clean break for a three-pointer, then rise to the peak of your jump and let the ball fly without any hope of the opposition swatting it down. Easy money, right? WRONG! There's a fair chance that your own teammate will swiftly dash onto the scene like Superman and intercept the shot, denying you the three points! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? It can get very frustrating at times.

The Jaguar version has none of the above flaws. If you've played the arcade game, then you've essentially played the Jaguar game, except the arcade machine doesn't roar or toss up VLM effects when you power it on.

The PlayStation game can still be fun to play (especially with friends), but if you get it, then expect it to be somewhat more difficult and frustrating due to the altered AI. The Jaguar version, though, is a more balanced and refined game, and as a result is simply more enjoyable. It's the version you'll reach for when you actually want to play the game. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I recently got a copy of Jam T.E. from the Game Exchange for 8 dollars in the box. I didn't realise it was one of the more uncommon Jaguar games. They also had a boxed Club Drive for the same price, but I didn't feel like I needed 2. Game stores can sometimes be a good place for good Jaguar deals because people don't buy them much. The store owners often want to get rid of them, so they keep the prices kinda low. Now I've seen a few exceptions, but that's usually the case in my area.

• 2 weeks later...