IGNORED

What games suck more than E.T.?

Now since the question I am asking will encompass more game systems that the 2600 I can understand if this topic will be moved. I just couldn't think of a different place to put it for now.

Anyways, I know how the topic of how bad (or in some cases good) E.T. is. But as I have been looking over "Top 10 this or that" lists I hate seeing E.T. always near the top when I know there are plenty of games out there that suck worse than E.T. did. I know few games had as many expectation behind it like E.T. may have had at the time but I get the feeling that the reason that E.T usually ends up so high on these lists is because it's the popular thing to do. I'm not saying E.T. is awesome here, I just think it's worthwhile to discuss games that suck more than it does, which is something I think a lot of these lists fail to look at.

Off the top of my head, here's a few that IMO suck more than E.T. does (it's certainly not a complete list, just something to get us started I suppose)

2600:

Nightmare

AirLock

SSSnake!

Dishaster

Warplock

Sorcerer

Atari 8-bit:

Piranha

Rats Revenge

Star Intruder

Retro Fire

Star

Super Huey

Ace of Aces

NES:

Where's Waldo

Deadly Towers

Transformers

PC:

Rise of the Robots

Alter Ego Male/Female

Arcade:

Mutant Fighter

Multi:

Double Dragon V (SNES, Genesis, Jaguar)

Sewer Shark (Sega CD, 3DO)

Batman: Dark Tomorrow (Xbox, PS2)

Feel free to add to the pile.

Odyssey2: The cart with the lunar lander and helicopter rescue games. Neither game is any good whatsoever.

Lunar Lander doesn't allow horizontal motion--just push the fire button at the right time, with no variation in gravity or anything else. The helicopter rescue game, like the Spin Out! racing game, lacks any sort of inertia/momentum and thus leaves no room for finesse.

Incidentally, I don't know why more games don't include inertia/momentum. I'll admit I resisted adding them to Toyshop Trouble, but they improve the game so incredibly I don't know why I didn't add them sooner.

star raiders was also unplayable for me.

the first sw battlefront is now unplayable as it feels like your walking at a snails pace

soviet strike for the saturn because of the non-fixed view you couldn't tell where you were going

and SD GUndam G Century S for the saturn was the most unplayable peice of garbage I think I have played.

I don't know, maybe I'll have to give Sorcerer another chance, it just bored me to death. Maybe Firefly was worse than that was.

I'll also go out on a limb and say MYST. I know it's a beloved series but I never cared for playing a slide show, even if it did have some ok puzzles.

I love Star Raiders though. I think it's far more playable than Starship, but again maybe Starship is just me again. :P

I'll also go out on a limb and say MYST. I know it's a beloved series but I never cared for playing a slide show, even if it did have some ok puzzles.

Myst was unplayable on monitors with too low a gamma. Even with brightness on maximum some of the objects the player is supposed to interact with (like the inside of the Channelwoods Age lift) can be too dark to see. I finally ended up jinxing the palette table (I forget exactly how) so I could play the game.

Myst was unplayable on monitors with too low a gamma. Even with brightness on maximum some of the objects the player is supposed to interact with (like the inside of the Channelwoods Age lift) can be too dark to see. I finally ended up jinxing the palette table (I forget exactly how) so I could play the game.

was good on the saturn :ponder: though i will agree a tad the game isnt for everyone. you need to have the patience of a saint

Nothing sucks more than E.T.

It had a top game programmer behind it. It had the license to the biggest film of the 1980s to boost sales. And it

had the expectations from all the big cheeses at Atari. Then it bombed. So much that they had to destroy them

for the tax right off. And if the stories are true they made so many that there are more E.T. carts than 2600

consoles!

For all those reasons its the worst game ever. While some may be even less fun to play none had the talent

behind nor the wide exposure.

But my pick for 1st Runner Up would be Interstel's Star Fleet II. A highly anticpated followup to the classic original. But the game was released so buggy that it was unplayable. It would crash constantly! Patches were promised

and released making it a playable pig after a big mail out of disks. But the damage was done and the game

ruined Interstel's financial fortunes.

I'm going to say Burning Rangers for the Saturn. Now that's personal preference, but I just did not like the way that game handles. The viewpoint was what killed it. It was based on the NiGHTS engine, but NiGHTS is not really a platformer like Burning Rangers. Imagine just walking around on foot instead of changing Claris or Elliot into NiGHTS, and you get a very basic idea of what Burning Rangers is.

I can think of a whole host of 2600 titles that were worse than ET. IMO, ET wasn't bad--it just didn't live up to expectations.

Speaking of the 2600, I'm going to throw Atlantis I and II into the mix. I downloaded the ROM file for II and let it kick my tail for about half an hour, then realized it was the same boring stuff from I, just warmed over.

Mythicon goes without saying.

Revolution X also goes without saying, unless you're in the arcade where it rocks.

Mortal Kombat--see Atlantis II above. Also check out the craptacular Game Boy and Game Gear ports of MK I and II. They will show you how good ET really is.

7800 - Jinks. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that one out. On the other hand, I've played Karateka for about five or ten minutes, and I sort of liked what I saw.

Halo... icon_ponder.gif

:lol: :ponder: :lol:

Actually, most of the games listed don't suck as bad as ET (or suck worse) but ET is always at the top of the "sucks" list, because it is almost universally considered a sucky game.

What I always found funny was that peoplw would always pop up "uh...you just say it sucks cause you fall in the holes" Er...no, it sucks cause it's a sub par game over all (and I believe at least one objective requires you fall into a hole anyways, making that a moot point)

There are worse games, but it's going to differ depending on the person. Personally, I don't like Adventure either (and would have that higher up on my list of sucky games than ET, yes, even in mode 3) But I think it's just cause even back in the day I though Adventure looked like shit. :P

If I had to pick one game that I would say sucks compared to ET, I would actually pick Super Man, for the Nintendo 64, and that's because of the ammount of time spent on it, all the delays, etc, and it still was foggy as hell, and your dude moved (and looked) like a brick. This game was not fun at all. It's also one of the few games I've never seen anybody (IRL) that liked it, or even pretended to like it. And when the company that's system is for this game, tells you it's shit, you know its bad. But when the company that MAKES the game tells you to stay away, eh...why was it released again?

Anyhow, just an oppinion... :ponder:

One I'll undoubtedly get stomped and kicked for, lol

Edited by Video

I'm truly surprised that nobody mentioned the adult video games for the Atari 2600. (Yes, I've tried them on emulator just to see what they were like, and I must say that if there was one that had some redeeming merit, it was Cathouse Blues/Gigolo, if only for the unique style of gameplay. Hot coffee, anyone?)

Seriously, though, here are some games that I never could really enjoy:

Atari 2600:

Fire Fighter

G.I. Joe

Karate (but then again, who would?!)

Math Gran Prix

NES:

Castlequest (Don't even get me started!)

Heroes of the Lance

Hydlide

More to come possibly.