IGNORED

Squares! official release (ColecoVision) - final ROM now downloadable

5-11under

Hello all,

My Squares! game for the ColecoVision is now available for sale.

:arrow: Update: Attached (below) is the final, full version of the game. Enjoy!

Also attached is the official demo version of the game. The demo version only has 1 difficulty level, no "cheats", no pause, no bonus sections, limited difficulty advancement at higher scores (ie. about ~20,000), and no hyperspace. That said, the demo version is still very playable, so even if you don't purchase Squares!, I hope you'll enjoy this ROM. You're better off playing the final, full version, though.

Thanks,

5-11under

Edit: available pretty much exclusively at AtariAge store at this point. At the time of this writing (Thursday, February 21, 2008), AA had 2 copies available.

Squares_demo.zip

Squares_full.zip

Edited by 5-11under
  • Like 1

Here are the instructions to the full version. For the demo version, ignore the starting levels, pause feature, and hyperspace...

Welcome to Squares!

Squares! is a fast-paced game where you need to avoid the other squares, anticipating their movement, to last as long as possible and obtain a high score.

Your Controller

Press the joystick left, right, up and down to move your white square.

The left fire button activates invincibility. It can also be used to activate your next square (see below).

The right fire button activates hyperspace.

The “0” key can be pressed to pause and subsequently continue play.

Starting a New Game

Ensure that the ColecoVision is powered off. Insert the Squares! cartridge into the ColecoVision, then power on the ColecoVision. The start-up screen will appear.

There are five difficulty levels: kids, normal, medium, difficult, extreme (in increasing difficulty). Make a selection by pressing the corresponding number on the keypad.

The game will begin. At the right of the screen you will see the highscore (from any gameplay level), as well as your current score. There are also indicators for the quantities of invincibility credits available (indicated by small flashing square), hyperspace credits available (indicated by small moving square), and number of lives (squares) remaining until the end of the game.

Gameplay

Throughout the game, the enemy squares will continuously bounce around the outer solid playfield. Your square is bounded by the inner dashed playfield. Use the controller to guide your white square away from the enemy squares. Your score will continue to increase as long as your square is in play. The gameplay will become more difficult as your score increases.

You start with 5 squares (10 for the kid’s version). If your square gets hit by an enemy square, your square will disappear, and the available squares remaining will decrease. If you have squares available, one will automatically appear near the top-left of the screen (after a short delay and when the area is clear of enemy squares). Momentarily press the left fire button to make your square appear instantly. The game is over when you have no more squares available.

Every once in a while a treasure will appear on the playfield (including fruit and other items). If you catch the treasure, either you will be rewarded with an extra square, or you will be given invincibility and hyperspace credits.

If you have available invincibility credits, you can press the left fire button to become invincible for 5 seconds. During this period, you will not lose a life if your square makes contact with any of the enemy squares.

If you have available hyperspace credits, you can press the right fire button to activate the hyperspace. Your square will be moved to a new location in the playfield. This is dangerous, however, as you may be placed directly on an enemy square, in which case you will lose a square.

Other Information

Not all of the details of the gameplay have been divulged. Play the game to figure out the intricacies and timing of events. Most of all, have fun!

Squares! is copyright 2007 Harvey deKleine! Label design by Ken Roland!

Erm... Your game seems very nice and good and all, but if you're going to put up something "for sale", you should really display information that relates to actual selling... What I'm seing right now in your first three post is just an announcement, with no price or ordering info... :ponder:

If the manual is displayed in this thread, I'm guessing this is a cart-only release? That's fine by me, and I'd like to order a copy. :)

Hi Pixelboy,

You were too fast! I just created the thread in Marketplace, and updated the top post with this:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105496

Thanks,

5-11under

Erm... Your game seems very nice and good and all, but if you're going to put up something "for sale", you should really display information that relates to actual selling... What I'm seing right now in your first three post is just an announcement, with no price or ordering info... :ponder:

If the manual is displayed in this thread, I'm guessing this is a cart-only release? That's fine by me, and I'd like to order a copy. :)

• 8 months later...

Hello all,

With Squares! being part of the 2007 AtariAge Christmas sale, I thought this would be a good time to release the final, full version of the game for download. Previously, only the demo version was available for download. See the first post for both versions.

Enjoy!

5-11under

Congrats on the new game. I gave it a try. yes, it is very fast paced. It's quite challenging.

As I was playing, i kept going drat, I'm still on level 1! I will never get off level 1!

Duh...that was the level I choice when i started the game...hehe, silly me.

I guess I can announce then, that I eventually made it all the way to level 9 :)

• 2 years later...

Hey, Squares! is available from the AA store again, this time with a box. Thanks Albert! Better late than never. ;)

The first post in this thread also has the ROM, for your USB or SD cart, or for emulation. Download the "Full" version of course.

Have fun,

5-11under

• Thanks 1

• 13 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...