IGNORED

Anyone know what unreleased game Amy Hennig worked on?

DEBRO

Gregory DG, cx2K & Shawn Sr. - it's Electrocop - no maybe, no confusion, it's the 7800 version of Electrocop...

Further from my last email from Amy:

Re: Electrocop - I think Atari had another team working on the Lynx

version simultaneously, but they didn't share anything about that game

with us. That's why there's no real similarity between the games. All

we knew was they wanted a Robocop-ish sidescroller. So we made one!

(with ninjas and giant brains; go figure)

Which serves to explain the Robocop-ishness :)

sTeVE

Anyone else think they borrowed a LOT from Revenge of Shinobi?

I suspect there was little direct SEGA influence, since the games came out around the same time (1989).

Anyhow it was the NES that was the influence acording to Amy:

I recall being very impressed with some of the NES games of the time, and just poring over my game magazines with a magnifying glass to figure out what they were doing.

sTeVE

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that is great and probably looked a bit better running on the real thing. It's too bad that it's probably lost but at least it shows that the 7800 could do a bit more than what we've seen. So are those object's usable for homebrew developers to make their own thing? That would be great if a homebrew author could still put this game together, with their own touch of course.

The back grounds aren't quite as inspiring - except that I was under the impression the 7800 cpu couldn't refresh a screen fast enough to do any of this. How did they work around it?

Easy now.

There's a difference between "tile based games being more challenging to create on the 7800's free form architecture" and "the 7800 can't do tile based games".

Electrocop or no Electrocop, Scrapyard Dog does do this at a fast clip. It is possible and the proof was shown 17 years ago.

The back grounds aren't quite as inspiring - except that I was under the impression the 7800 cpu couldn't refresh a screen fast enough to do any of this. How did they work around it?

Easy now.

There's a difference between "tile based games being more challenging to create on the 7800's free form architecture" and "the 7800 can't do tile based games".

Electrocop or no Electrocop, Scrapyard Dog does do this at a fast clip. It is possible and the proof was shown 17 years ago.

Scrapyard Dog's backgrounds are coloring book simple - it was the relative complexity of the tile sets that impressed me. I've read threads where it was claimed Super Mario Bros is too complex a tile set for the 7800...

Scrapyard Dog's backgrounds are coloring book simple - it was the relative complexity of the tile sets that impressed me. I've read threads where it was claimed Super Mario Bros is too complex a tile set for the 7800...

I have heard Super Mario 3 and Kirby's Adventure might require some rework to make happen or compromises but not Super Mario itself.

Agree on the ground levels but not sure about the city or sewer levels being any more or less sophisticated than what's in Super Mario (the original).

Games like Mario 3 and Kirby had an added chip in the cart to make them what they were didn't they?

Yes, SMB3 and Kirby used mapper chips, as did a lot of other NES games.

MMC3b was the mapper in SMB3. In a nut shell think of it kinda like a "bankswitching" chip that atari games have but with hella more juice.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Games like Mario 3 and Kirby had an added chip in the cart to make them what they were didn't they?

Yep. The biggest MMC chip was in Kirby's Adventure with it being a MMC5 chip. It is a mapper that happened to give nes the capabilities have games up to 8 megs. Super Mario 3 had a chip MMC chip also, but it is not as advanced as the one used in Kirby's Adventure with it being a MMC3 like Shawn Sr mentioned.

Edited by 8th lutz

• 2 years later...

Here they are with a little intro by Amy:

Looking at these again, I can't remember for the life of me what the premise was - bad guys of every stripe! Ninjas, slimes, mini-tanks, spiders, bullies, soldiers, giant brains, evil doctors ?

But it was a pretty good side-scroller, everything considered. Borrowed a lot of ideas from the NES games of the time for the layout and

artwork.

sTeVE

Hopefully some day this will turn up!

Thanks for resurrecting this old topic, (I'm not being sarcastic). I hadn't seen this before. Those scans look great.

It's sad that it was completed but not published. A true shame. With it being so long since the topic was discussed, are all hopes of the original programmer possibly having remains of it now dead?

Thanks for resurrecting this old topic, (I'm not being sarcastic). I hadn't seen this before. Those scans look great.

It's sad that it was completed but not published. A true shame. With it being so long since the topic was discussed, are all hopes of the original programmer possibly having remains of it now dead?

WOW! I hadn't read this thread, that game is VERY impressive for a 7800!! Kind of makes you re-evaluate what "could have been" if the development houses of the time had poured resources into developing for this machine!

I will agree that it is disappointing that the original game is "most likely lost" but on the other hand it is exciting to see the kind of game that was possible and what we could see from homebrews in the future!!

AdeptRapier

:)

The reason I mentioned Electrocop was that there was talk in this forum of the prototype being in a woman's office just before it went missing. There might be a chance that woman either was Amy Hennig, or they knew each other.

It's a long shot, but I guess it's as good as any.

Who knows, maybe she didn't work for Atari at all. Perhaps she worked on UFO instead.

Was'nt Electrocop released? EDIT: Nevermind....that was on the lynx. :P

UFO? Better change the name to my 7800 title....seems I need to do a lot

of this anymore. :P

Also...I am quite sure the 7800 can do MUCH better than even this if I can only find a way to

allow for on board MARIA useable RAM blocks.

Edited by Gorf

UFO was mentioned on GameFAQs a couple years back as an unreleased Froggo title. I'm not sure how reliable that info is, though, given the source.

Was it based on the O^2 game of the same name? That is essentially what Im doing with the 7800.

I just released a small(cheesy) demo of it in one of the threads here in the 7800 section. There

is also a Jaguar 3D version in the Jaguar section as well.

There were two games named UFO planned for the 7800. One by Atari and the other by Froggo. Nothing much is known about either of them other than the title and that neither was released.

Mitch

Did the UFO game by Atari get a CX part number? It would be cool for Gorf to use that if he ever releases his UFO game.

There were two games named UFO planned for the 7800. One by Atari and the other by Froggo. Nothing much is known about either of them other than the title and that neither was released.

Mitch

Did the UFO game by Atari get a CX part number? It would be cool for Gorf to use that if he ever releases his UFO game.

CX7876

Mitch