IGNORED

Have you ever met Nolan Bushnell?

* Alternative Reality *

Hi everyone!

It's great to be here at AtariAge! I have been a longtime fan of the classic system and was thrilled to find this message forum! Thanks go out to the Atari Museum for introducing me to this very informative place!

Okay, forgive my "newbie-ness" and also forgive me if this has been posted in the wrong section........i chose this one mainly because my subject matter is so closey associated to it.

I would like to know who here has had the opportunity to meet the man himself, Nolan Bushnell. I am sure there must be a lot of you here, and i would personally love to hear your stories, and you opinions.

What is he like? Can anyone here provide any insight into what one could expect if they were to meet him?

i did a search last night on this very topic, and read hundreds of posts but did not find any that directly told of experiences with him on a fan-level. SO ...i would like to hear from those of you who HAVE met Nolan and what it was like!

Huge thanks in advance, i look eagerly forward to your responses!

I met him at CES several years ago while he was promoting uWink in its infancy. He was very approachable and he spoke to me for a few minutes, even though I'm sure it was obvious to him that I really wasn't interested in buying any of his bar-top game systems. :)

He probably thought I was a nutcase when I told him I ran an Atari-related site. This was in January 2001 (I believe), so AtariAge was fairly young at the time.

I have a picture somewhere, I'll have to find it.

..Al

Hi everyone!

It's great to be here at AtariAge! I have been a longtime fan of the classic system and was thrilled to find this message forum! Thanks go out to the Atari Museum for introducing me to this very informative place!

Okay, forgive my "newbie-ness" and also forgive me if this has been posted in the wrong section........i chose this one mainly because my subject matter is so closey associated to it.

I would like to know who here has had the opportunity to meet the man himself, Nolan Bushnell. I am sure there must be a lot of you here, and i would personally love to hear your stories, and you opinions.

What is he like? Can anyone here provide any insight into what one could expect if they were to meet him?

i did a search last night on this very topic, and read hundreds of posts but did not find any that directly told of experiences with him on a fan-level. SO ...i would like to hear from those of you who HAVE met Nolan and what it was like!

I have a feeling that you are Nolan Bushnell incognito. So welcome Nolan errrr I mean Alternative Reality ;)

I was at his CGE talk four years ago or so. He had a nice dry humor when telling war stories.

"When Atari first began, I went to the California Department of Labor for employees. We didn't know at the time that the CDL labor pool consisted mostly of alcoholics and drug addicts. We were making pong arcade machines by taking the picture tubes out of black and white televisions. It turned out that B&W TVs are very easy items to fence...........................We were having a slight inventory control problem for awhile." :D

"One trick we used to discourage pirate copies was to include an uncommon logic chip like a quad exclusive OR, because with rare chips, you can actually corner the whole worldwide production for yourself. One quarter, we checked the numbers and found we had purchased 120% of the total number of ICs produced. After investigating, it turned out an Atari stockroom worker was stealing ICs out the back door and selling them back into the front. :D

Hi everyone!

I have a feeling that you are Nolan Bushnell incognito. So welcome Nolan errrr I mean Alternative Reality ;)

Seriously though you know Nolan has to have visited the site before and maybe even posted, I wonder what he would use for a screen name?

Thanks go out to those who have responded so far....i particularly like the comments regarding what your experience with him was like. I have always had the impression he was a personality you could easily approach, and not like the usualy stereotyped "too busy for you" type. I always enjoyed his dry humour as well in the few interviews i have seen, it makes him come across as being someone you would be comfortable with just hanging out with.

So, for those who have said you met him: Describe what impression you had after the meeting. I am really curious about what the experience was like...in the slim chance that maybe some day i have the opportunity.

Oh....and just so you know, i am not Nolan incognito! I actually found that comment pretty funny....whatever gave you THAT impression ? LOL!!

:)

Edited by * Alternative Reality *

I've met Al Alcorn, but not Bushnell. I think I'd be more excited to meet Ralph Baer, though. (I was disappointed a couple of years ago when I got an early order in for Baer's book through Rolenta Press and it didn't get autographed.)

The pic above of Mr. Bushnell reminds me of the z-movie director Ted V. Mikels.

From what I remember, he was a nice enough guy and seemed amused that people still went nuts over Atari. However I just didn't see the "Atari Love" that I was expecting to see from him. Sure he was proud of Atari, but it almost seemed like it was just another business venture for him and he had moved on. Sort of like how you may be obsessed with an actor because of a certain role they played but when you finally met them you find out that that was "just another thing I did during my career".

Still, he was nice enough to indulge us Atari fanboys. He was very willing to talk about his Atari days.

Tempest

You can say I have (sort of) :roll:

Who Am I?

From what I remember, he was a nice enough guy and seemed amused that people still went nuts over Atari. However I just didn't see the "Atari Love" that I was expecting to see from him. Sure he was proud of Atari, but it almost seemed like it was just another business venture for him and he had moved on. Sort of like how you may be obsessed with an actor because of a certain role they played but when you finally met them you find out that that was "just another thing I did during my career".

Still, he was nice enough to indulge us Atari fanboys. He was very willing to talk about his Atari days.

Tempest

I met him at CES several years ago while he was promoting uWink in its infancy.
I met him briefly at an AMOA show (or something similar) when he was doing uWink. I was working on Midway's Touchmaster at the time, and we discussed how all the bartops (Megatouch, Touchmaster uWink, etc) ripped off each others games. He was mostly talking to my boss, though, I was just sort if standing there. Still cool to see him in person.

Twice. First time, 2002, I flew to San Fran for the 30th Anniv. party of Atari (40th Anniv. of Space War). Got to meet Steve Russell, Al Alcorn and a host of great people. He was walking to his car and I passed him in the parking lot. Very interesting, I knew it was him and I had little idea what he looked like. I found people gravitated towards him. He is charismatic, innovative and inventive. It fills the room. He has "that look" that you can tell he is crafty. Nothing gets past him and I said at the time, I would follow him blindly down a path given the chance. He was talking to a few of us and he said his uwink was headquarterd in SoCal because the valley was too expensive of real estate. I jokingly said its your fault it is. He got a kick out of that.

Second time was CGE when he was being followed by a mob of onlookers and I just walked up and said Hi. I actually took the pic of Tempest with him :)

Honestly, I applied his philosophy to the way I live my life. Sounds cheesy but his 80% mastery of something makes sense. You can master something to a point very quickly. You then have to spend many years getting the remaining portion. He also is willing to try new things, take big chances and enjoy big payoffs :)

Cassidy

I look like a complete fan boy but still it was great to meet him and chat for a few minutes. He expressed regrets that he sold Atari to Warner. He said they offered him more money than he thought he would probably ever see in his life (Turns out he was probably right). and said what a tragedy that Warner and later Tramiel ran it into the ground. Additionally he said that Atari wasn't really a gaming company but a research company using games to innovate. He said unfortunately Atari had grown just about as much as it could have with the current venture capital and he needed the deep pockets of a mega corporation. But R&D are not strong points of entertainment companies like Warner. Like today all entertainment companies are formula driven and not into the R&D side. He also said he would be interested in buying back Atari and bring interactive entertainment back to the US and that it's a tragedy that an industry that started in the US has so little influence in the gaming industry. Note that this was in 2001 when Sony had a huge market share. He noted that there was the "x-box but really, who can get excited about Micro$oft?"

Finally he had a lot of contempt for the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office) saying that the patent process significantly slows down the development process and getting ideas to market. It used to be that patents could protect the little guy with an idea. But now there companies whose sole purpose is to patent ideas and then go after anyone who might use that idea in any product or process even if they never intend to manufacture or market the product or process. It's a real racket called patent squatting. I work for a patent law firm and I think he's absolutely right.

Grim meets Nolan Bushnell

Thanks go out to those who have responded so far....i particularly like the comments regarding what your experience with him was like. I have always had the impression he was a personality you could easily approach, and not like the usualy stereotyped "too busy for you" type. I always enjoyed his dry humour as well in the few interviews i have seen, it makes him come across as being someone you would be comfortable with just hanging out with.

So, for those who have said you met him: Describe what impression you had after the meeting. I am really curious about what the experience was like...in the slim chance that maybe some day i have the opportunity.

Oh....and just so you know, i am not Nolan incognito! I actually found that comment pretty funny....whatever gave you THAT impression ? LOL!!

Because I could actually see Nolan Bushnell asking this question. ;)

Very interesting, I knew it was him and I had little idea what he looked like. I found people gravitated towards him. He is charismatic, innovative and inventive. It fills the room. He has "that look" that you can tell he is crafty. Nothing gets past him and I said at the time, I would follow him blindly down a path given the chance.

I can very honestly see this. The video and still pics of him all have that vibe. Even the above pic of him has that charismatic quality. The kind of guy who would go up to someone and say "I've got a great idea, and we're going to do this..." and they'd wholeheartedly leap into the plan with him. The kind of guy who could walk into a car dealership and get them to pay him to take a vehicle off their hands.

Explains why he's led a seemingly endless series of start-ups; I imagine he's really successful with face-to-face presentations with venture capitalists and the like.

Awesome insights so far guys...keep them coming!

I totally agree about the "charasmatic factor" I have seen a few interviews of him from the 80's and he definately has that appeal. He really comes off as a person you would love to sit down with for a couple of hours at a lounge and hang out with, talking about old times.

So far i have heard nothing but positive things.

Keep the reviews coming!