IGNORED

The "Coolest" Jaguar you ever did see.

Gummy Bear

One question about 50/60hz switcher.......i heard that frequency changer MAY HARM JAGUAR if this is done with the console powered on.... in the Sega Saturn can be done ON HOT........ but seems in JAG is Dangerous?...or all is an urban legend????
I've done it hundred of times (when developing homebrews, to see if my code would run correctly both in 50 Hz and 60 Hz) and my Jaguar still works fine. I can't see how it could damage the hardware, according to the Jag's electrical schematic, either.

I did not use a fan on the chips but instead two rubic cube sized heat sinks on each chip

No JagCD then, Gorf? ;)

No, this was with just the Jaguar, pretty much just the motherboard on an anti-

static table. I simply removed the old crystal and replaced it with a 32 mhz crytstal.

I did not mess with the video crystal as that is what it is no matter the system rate.

It times the video. The jaguar video registers need to be redone to handle the extra

speed. That really should be done at boot up and would require a new boot rom to

write the new values. This was before BJL or any of that. I did not even have enough

info about the Jaguar yet. Again, Hoverstrike did operate but too much roll and scroll.

Sound was definitely faster too.

I may revisit that experiment someday and try a 40 mhz clock with a few large heat

sinks and cooling fans. But this time I'll calculate the new video values and burn a rom

for the boot with the new values and see what we get. That will be quite some time off

from now but who know, I may even have JagII running by then.

impressive...overclock.......better refrigeration.....Maybe we can see soon a new Jaguar 2.0. :lust: , he he he

replying to Zerosquare

I've done it hundred of times (when developing homebrews, to see if my code would run correctly both in 50 Hz and 60 Hz) and my Jaguar still works fine. I can't see how it could damage the hardware, according to the Jag's electrical schematic, either.

i find these text on GAMESX modding website

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:jaguar_50_60_hz_switch

NOTE

It might be harmful to switch modes while the Jaguar is running. I haven’t tried it so far, but it just doesn’t seem like a good idea. However other consoles dont seem to mind, so it’s up to you to make the decision

thanks to your response maybe i´ll do a mod soon ^o^, i have one american JAG and use the voltage stepdown to prefent the powersupply burns :-P

Thanks ;)

Nice. They look like VGA RAM heatsinks. I put some heatsinks on Tom and Jerry and the 68k a long time ago for overclocking purporses plus I like procs to run cool. Did some heat tests with a fluke meter and they got pretty damn hot. The 68k got the hottest if I remember correctly. In which was with BattleSphere and that really surprised me.

It might be harmful to switch modes while the Jaguar is running. I haven’t tried it so far, but it just doesn’t seem like a good idea. However other consoles dont seem to mind, so it’s up to you to make the decision.

Thanks ;)

Denymetanol

That sounds a bit dubious to me.

I don't think I would risk it. :cool:

Why do you want to change frequencies while the Jag is running anyway?

Nice. They look like VGA RAM heatsinks. I put some heatsinks on Tom and Jerry and the 68k a long time ago for overclocking purporses plus I like procs to run cool. Did some heat tests with a fluke meter and they got pretty damn hot. The 68k got the hottest if I remember correctly. In which was with BattleSphere and that really surprised me.

Good eye. :o

They are indeed VGA RAM heatsinks. :)

I have now removed those 2 fans and am in the process of making a fan duct that will cover both heatsinks.

The duct will house a single 40mm Papst fan for cooling and I am putting similar fans into the top vents of the Jag case to act as exhaust fans.

Denymetanol

That sounds a bit dubious to me.

I don't think I would risk it. :cool:

Why do you want to change frequencies while the Jag is running anyway?

Gummy Bear RISK breaker ! :evil:

don´t worry pals, the reason was this message that i read.. i do on old pal tv that doesn´t support 60hz or ntsc signals.......and shows a flickering image.........and maybe harm the tube of the tv.....

Remember to do an - umbrella mod - for this hot summer :cool:

PD: this overclock tests remembered the retail xbox 1 modded on asian shop with more mhz on cpu ( or changing celeron with real pentium3) and more ram , i read that can be booted as normal or enhanced.....but finally MICRO$$oft closed the seller´s shop....

returning to JAG..the only thing is if TOM AND JERRY supports well the overclock, they are made one inside other, no?----- can be dangerous? or depends on games with more "graphic charge".

I think you have read this doc about JAGUAR2..... maybe one of the firsts "full retrocompatible systems"

this doc is from http://www.atari-explorer.com/

http://www.atari-explorer.com/jaguar/jaguar-2.html

maybe some of these NEW projects are actually obsolete and defective, but other more ideas (SLI on graphic cards) finally can do lot of improvements on a new generation.

Cheers ;)

Edited by Denymetanol

• 11 years later...

Although this thread is old...

I guess everybody already saw the linked post, but for newcomers who browse this thread,
and wonder, it's good to have a link as a follow-up to a thread where these is all answered.
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/109944-overclocked-jaguar/

It's also convenient to have a reference to the logical follow-up to this thread easily found.

Talking about Jaguar-mods ... what make me wonder is, that nobody (?) came up so far with a HDMI-mod. I mean ... NES, Mega Drive, even the VCS have been modded. Should be possible (not for me!) to implement the technical stuff from a RGB-HDMI converter into the Jag-body, isn´t?

And much more ... in the time of 3d-printers ... should be possible (and again ... not for me :/ ) to make a improved Jag case with a integrated dust cover for the cartridge connector.