IGNORED

Now that's what I call a backward compatibility update!

Jess Ragan

It's good to see that they are still actively updating the BC list...even though I have never personally used any of my Xbox games in my 360. It would be nice to see Morrowind added someday. I never did finish that game.

Still no Morrowind.

I second the notion though I own the PC version also so it doesn't really matter to me I guess :P They have Silent Hill 4 but no Silent Hill 2 which irritates me... oh well.

I am a huge Silent Hill fan and I am with you on that one. It was a good update though. RTCW plays great and in wide screen at 720p.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

Color me surprised. I didn't think we'd see any more BC updates at all. I do imagine this will be the last one, though.

I'm happy to see Dai Senryaku on the list. I'll test it out later.

I notice Soul Calibur 2 is on the list as having been updated. I bought SC2 again because I found it for $5 or something and figured I might as well reacquire it just to remind myself how bad the XBox version was. But then I played it and found just how poorly the emulation on it was. First off there was the choppy FMV. Then there were combos which should work, and work on the XBox with simply go through the characters on the 360. Characters have chunks of them disappear from time to time. There's flickering. There's also occasional drastic slowdown. I suppose you could have called it "playable" but only in the most general of terms.

Does anyone play the first Lego Star Wars on their 360? I'm interested in it now, and curious.

Color me surprised. I didn't think we'd see any more BC updates at all. I do imagine this will be the last one, though.

I'm happy to see Dai Senryaku on the list. I'll test it out later.

I notice Soul Calibur 2 is on the list as having been updated. I bought SC2 again because I found it for $5 or something and figured I might as well reacquire it just to remind myself how bad the XBox version was. But then I played it and found just how poorly the emulation on it was. First off there was the choppy FMV. Then there were combos which should work, and work on the XBox with simply go through the characters on the 360. Characters have chunks of them disappear from time to time. There's flickering. There's also occasional drastic slowdown. I suppose you could have called it "playable" but only in the most general of terms.

Does anyone play the first Lego Star Wars on their 360? I'm interested in it now, and curious.

Yes, I play the first Lego SW game. It works great, but no widescreen support, so it has black bars on either side IIRC.

Didn't a Microsoft PR guy say that this was going to the last year that they'd be working on the BC? If that's the case than I'd expect at least two more by the end of the year.

Yeah I thought I read that whatever games they get ready by the fall of 2007 would be it.

What about Castelevania: Curse of Darkness and Time Splitters: Futire Perfect?

I guess I shouldn't expect Time Splitters to make the list, considering it's sort of an underground thing.

Hopefully all of my games will be playable on the 360 soon. I need to pack up my Xbox to make room for the PS3 when I can finally get one.

i really think this move does a better job of illustrating how lousy BC is on the 360 than it does appeasing those that really want it.

'our crappy backwards compatibility just got a little less crappy'

I'll bet you always see the glass as half empty too. :D

Well, in all fairness, this new update isn't iron-clad. Jet Set Radio Future won't work if you have the disc that also includes Sega GT 2002, and even the standalone version has major slowdown issues. Panzer Dragoon Orta crashes after the third stage, and Mercenaries has a nasty habit of freezing up your Xbox 360. Those are the reports I'm getting from the Penny Arcade forums, anyway.

JR

Well, in all fairness, this new update isn't iron-clad. Jet Set Radio Future won't work if you have the disc that also includes Sega GT 2002, and even the standalone version has major slowdown issues. Panzer Dragoon Orta crashes after the third stage, and Mercenaries has a nasty habit of freezing up your Xbox 360. Those are the reports I'm getting from the Penny Arcade forums, anyway.

This really sums up the XBox 360's backwards compatibility. Few games work, and the ones which are working are only barely definable as such.

You know, the 360 has definitely grown on me. I think at this moment, it's actually my preferred modern console. However, on backwards compatibility, they not only fumbled the ball, but a safety (I believe that's the term for when the QB is sacked in the end-zone) was scored.

I have played all the way through Halo 2 on 360 with the only issue being a couple instances of ghosting. I am play RTCW and have found no flaws whatsoever (even plays in widescreen at 720p as does Halo 2), and I have played a fair bit through Fatal Frame with the only issue being the one ghost intro that dosn't play correctly as stated on the xbox website (which is a shame as it one of my favorite ghost intros.) I have also played plenty of Halo multiplayer on it as well as Counter-Strike.