IGNORED

Eerievale

sciarpo

There was an updated and I think longer demo than that shown on the Ocean Depths cd released earlier this year that you could download and burn to CD, there is probably a topic on it here somewhere if you do a search but I don't know what it is like as I I tried to burn it but it all went wrong.

Well, what can I say? I can't split in half and am not a fan of human cloning either. ;)

In the past years I was very busy with my Game Design study, which finally ended in October.

Next to helping Atariowl with his project, I got right back to continue my work on Eerievale.

I let other projects rest, because I wanted to return to my personal favorite.

Eerievale is a project that means a lot to me and what I stated years ago is still true today.

I want it to be something special and I want it to stand out from other games.

It's also a project I create for myself in the first place. I never made any promises, never set a release date or anything like that. I will keep working on the project until it pleases me and if by that time people still care, I'd be happy to release it.

Adventure games are one of the most complex genres to develop and very time consuming. You can't speed up the process if you want to do a good job. It's a genre that heavily relies on the talent of the game designer and writer, in the first place. It takes as much time as it always did. It's the most important aspect for the game experience. If you skip that part you end up with something like Myst. Only that a skilled artist can create much better visuals today, in less time.

What I am going for is a great story that will drag players into the game world and a well designed gameplay, so that the players won't want to put the game aside, before they saw all of it. Maybe even make them come back to experience different story paths in the game, right away.

While the past years may have been a quiet time, it was a time full of inspirations, ideas and experiences that Eerievale will heavily benefit from.

I understand that, to people not involved with game development (or those who only know what is taught today ;) ), it may be confusing how and why certain decisions in the development phase were made and will be made in the future, but you can be sure it's all aimed toward the goal of creating a better and richer game experience. :)

I am currently spending a few hours of every day to write on the story of Eerievale and I'm happy how well it progresses.

It's great fun and I am very enthusiastic about it again. :D

And now, before any of you complain about me writing and not coding, for heaven's sake... It's an adventure game. It's all about story. :)

The code is nothing to worry about. Everybody knows I can code.

Today code is not what makes the game, especially not in the adventure genre.

The game design and writing makes the game. It's what makes the game experience and it's what makes a game either a dull clone or an unforgettable gem.

Actually in an odd way it's funny to see how some people don't believe in the project anymore.

Now with most things in horror or supernatural people say, it's not real, still there is something that makes you wonder about the truh. Is it true what people say? What if there is more to it than just that? If it's not real, why are you afraid of it? There is something you feel. Just an odd feeling.

There is no monster in the closet or under the bed, yet as a child, you're afraid of the dark.

There is just an odd feeling of a presence. Something that is waiting just for the right moment to appear.

Same is true for Eerievale. It's taking the time it needs, no matter what people say. No matter what people think.

It is there. It is waiting for it's time to be unleashed.

If you have your doubts, if you don't believe in it anymore, that's your choice.

Just ask yourself, maybe that's just what everybody wants you to think.

It's a fantasy / horror game afterall. :D

If you still have faith in the project, be sure to visit the Eerievale Homepage regularly. You never know when something might pop up. As it is with writing, even I don't know when something will pop up.

I created the world of Eerievale and I populated it with unique characters, who all have their own personality and their own head. Even though I know the path of the story well, I can't tell how individual scenes will turn out or if the characters might just decide to change something. Maybe a coward is all of a sudden sick of being scared and decides to take actions. Maybe a man of high morals turns out to be hiding a dark side, even from himself, but it slowly starts to surface. I can't tell, before it is written but that's the exciting thing about it, isn't it? :D

That is the magic of the written word and also the magic of game writing. :)

Regards, Lars.

Hey Lars,

Keep it going, I'm just gotten back into the Jaguar scene, however I'm also a developer by profession, granted not for games, but I understand projects taking time. I'm heading to your blog now and interested in seeing what I can find out about Eeirevale, sinec I haven't heard about it.

Keep it going, I have plenty of faith that you will release the game when it has been completed to your satisfaction!!!

-Disjaukifa

Wow....I got half way through the first page before I realized those posts were two years old! I hope to see this game completed one day but I lost hope after the HD crash.

Actually, I don't remember what was posted back in the day about the crash, but Eerievale was never concered with it.

Eerievale was developed mostly in terms of visuals and game design at that time, which was done on a different system and I also had backups of the code. Nothing about Eerievale was lost.

Merely older projects were lost in the crash. :)

Lars´ game is a hell of a big task. Just the amount of preproduction docs is pure awesomeness and then you need people who can do jaguar tailor-made assets, hard to find these days.

I am not surprised that this project is not finished yet and people should be really patient with this...and not be pushy :)

all the best

daniel

I know nothing about programming, but I know a thing or two about writing. Creating an interesting, cohesive story is by no means easy, and I would have to think writing a story in an adventure game context would be that much more challenging.

One way to put it into context would be to remember the Infocom text adventures. Those things were massive and had interesting storylines. They had to take a long time to write, with lots of revisions.

But then, in the case of Eerievale, you take on the added task of programming a kick-ass game around the story. It sounds monumentally challenging to me!

I want Lars to take all the time he needs. When Eerievale does surface, think about how satisfying it will be to play a top-notch story. It could be a Magnum-Opus of Jaguar games!

Cheers,

Smeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...