IGNORED

atari mania still reigns supreme!

opeygon

Last saturday night I had an old friend in from montana who I haven't seen in about three years. To mark the occasion I had four or five of our close friends from back in the day over and we drank lotsa beer and ate lotsa brats.

Anyway, it wasn't long before someone noticed my heavy sixer, which I proudly display right next to my dusty old PS2! We broke it out and started playing video olympics right away. The next thing I knew, we had been playing for hours and were having a blast!

I thought it was a testament to the genius of atari and games like video olympics that they are still entertainig and playable thirty years later. Call me crazy, but when I compare video olympics to modern games, I find that the simplicity and excitement of head to head pong burries any modern two player game, and the events of last saturday night prove it (at least in my mind).

Now, I can't deny that systems like PS3 and the Wii have superior graphics and capibilities and such, but I wonder how many people will be playing a PS3 title thirty years from now? Or will it become just another forgotten blip in the history of home video games? Only time will tell, but atari still reigns supreme at my house!

One things for sure, that was one happy heavy sixer that night, and one lonely PS2!!!

Last saturday night I had an old friend in from montana who I haven't seen in about three years. To mark the occasion I had four or five of our close friends from back in the day over and we drank lotsa beer and ate lotsa brats.

Anyway, it wasn't long before someone noticed my heavy sixer, which I proudly display right next to my dusty old PS2! We broke it out and started playing video olympics right away. The next thing I knew, we had been playing for hours and were having a blast!

I thought it was a testament to the genius of atari and games like video olympics that they are still entertainig and playable thirty years later. Call me crazy, but when I compare video olympics to modern games, I find that the simplicity and excitement of head to head pong burries any modern two player game, and the events of last saturday night prove it (at least in my mind).

Now, I can't deny that systems like PS3 and the Wii have superior graphics and capibilities and such, but I wonder how many people will be playing a PS3 title thirty years from now? Or will it become just another forgotten blip in the history of home video games? Only time will tell, but atari still reigns supreme at my house!

One things for sure, that was one happy heavy sixer that night, and one lonely PS2!!!

You have good friends that know a quality system like Atari 2600, even today when friends come over to my house, the first thing they want to see is any new items I have added to my collection, then they want to play.

:D :D :D

Thats cool to have friends that still play 2600 with you. Most of my buds will humor me when I pop in X man or Halloween or something but never really want to play it. They laugh at the graphics and then ask to play my 360, I have to admit it makes me a little mad but they don't really understand since they never grew up with it. I do have one friend that grew up with me and although I rarely see him the last time we hung out we played a marathon Realsports Baseball game. It was a lot of fun, brought me back :)

A local couple hits the thrifts like me, and last week the guy found a bunch of Atari carts - a bunch of commons (and a 1986 Krull, which I had never actually seen firsthand) - and we were sitting around their kitchen table talking about games when some other people dropped by and one guy got all excited seeing the carts on the table, just regular stuff like Combat and Yars' Revenge were enough to get him excited...even in our HD world, many of these games still can attract a lot of interest. Great games like Go, Mahjong, and Chess have been around for centuries and even millennia. Heck, a deck of playing cards goes back at least 500 years, and the oldest known backgammon set is dated about 5,000 years ago. Video games get a lot of attention with every generation of technological development, but great gameplay is still great gameplay.

Great place to post my two cents for the Atari 2600 as well. I couldn't agree more about this fun system. I don't have a modern console any more, but a PC that can play some of the best games on the market today. However, when I was playing this morning over a cup of coffee, what did I pick? You guessed it. Atari. Several rounds of Asteroids, Berserk, and Missile Command later (not to mention Pac Man and Ms. Pac Man), the time had gone by and I unhappily had to power it off for work.

I've owned all the next gen consoles (not the current lot, but PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube, plus the DS and PSP), but none are at my house now. I'd prefer to play the Atari 2600 over these modern consoles any day of the week. Usually I only used to play one game of the modern-gen systems, but Atari gets alot of resets over the course of a gaming session. Amazing to say the least. :D

-Steve