IGNORED

Atari 410 and 1010 belts

Urchlay

Does anyone know a supplier and part number for new replacement belts for the 1010?

I know Best/B&C probably have them, but they'll be new old stock... rubber belts degrade with age, so I'm looking for some made this year :)

The 1010 has two belts, one of which looks like it's only for the tape counter, and the other's for the tape transport. Both of mine have disintegrated almost back to a state of primordial ooze...

I've got a catalog for a supplier that "might" have the right size, and if nobody knows off-hand what to get, I'll find out eventually and post it here.

While on the subject... I don't have a 410 or XC12, are they belt-driven too?

Edited by Urchlay

Does anyone know a supplier and part number for new replacement belts for the 1010?

I know Best/B&C probably have them, but they'll be new old stock... rubber belts degrade with age, so I'm looking for some made this year :)

The 1010 has two belts, one of which looks like it's only for the tape counter, and the other's for the tape transport. Both of mine have disintegrated almost back to a state of primordial ooze...

I've got a catalog for a supplier that "might" have the right size, and if nobody knows off-hand what to get, I'll find out eventually and post it here.

the 410 is belt driven, and i am looking for 3 new belts, if you find a supplier, please let me know :cool:

You should be able to get new belts here. You have to measure the thickness and circumference and they should have a replacement. Click on online catalog, passive components, belts and o-rings.

http://www.ceitron.com/

I think you can also get them from action electronics. I have ordered from them in the past and they are great to deal with. I haven't actually measured the 1010 belts, but I think they would have them also.

http://www.action-electronics.com/beltf.htm

Edited by puppetmark

Update: I've found a local (to me, Atlanta) supplier that says they "almost certainly" stock a part that'll work... they also sell stuff mail order and on their site. Am about to drive down there with the dead 1010 (and the two sick 410's I've just recently got) and find out. If they have it, I'll post URL and part number here.

Update: I've found a local (to me, Atlanta) supplier that says they "almost certainly" stock a part that'll work... they also sell stuff mail order and on their site. Am about to drive down there with the dead 1010 (and the two sick 410's I've just recently got) and find out. If they have it, I'll post URL and part number here.

Which model 1010 do you have? I think there are two different ones.

Mitch

from what I can see the XC12 has belts too!

Likely they're completely different size/shape from either the 410 or the 1010 (which are different from each other).

I've never seen an XC11 or XC12 except for pictures...

I've just got back in the door from the trip to the supply place... got a belt that works on the 1010 (at least ff/rewind, I didn't bring my 1200XL to try playing) and 2 sizes of square belt, one of which will work on the 410 (or maybe they're both OK, only .3" difference in length).

In an hour or two I'll actually try them out, and post the results here (including measurements and part numbers).

I'm also interested. My 410 won't rewind or fast forward while a tape is in place but will when there is not. I'm assuming that it's a good possibility that the belt is worn and lose therefore not allowing enough traction. I could be wrong though. It might be something else entirely. :ponder:

You may want to check out MCM Electronics and possibly Jameco Electronics as well, they may have new belts. I have several 410's, a 1010, XC11 and XC12, so far, none have ever failed.

Curt

OK, regarding the 1010, I've found a belt that fits perfectly, and rewind/ff/play works fine. Unfortunately my 1010 seems to have other problems (non-belt-related), so I haven't actually got it to CLOAD yet. It does play audio tapes through the Atari speaker if I press Play and POKE 54018,52 though, and they sound OK... but the SIO tape-loading tones sound totally wrong when trying to CLOAD or boot a tape.

The 1010 belt came from a place called Audio Lab of Georgia, http://www.audiolabga.com, phone (770) 455-0571.

Their part number is 79-10.55

The measurements are: 10.5" x .025" x .125" (that's "inner circumference" x "thickness" x "width").

Audio Lab sells these belts for $0.81 each, but they're a discontinued item: I bought 5 of them, and the guy says he has 10 or 15 more in stock, and when those are gone, they're gone. If anyone wants to order these, you can find the part number on their site (just search for it), or order by phone (tell 'em Brian sent you).

Also, I've found a pretty close match from a different distributor:

http://www.ceitron.com/passive/flatSbelt.html (main page of site is http://www.ceitron.com/ for ordering).

The closest match from here appears to be FS10.6, measurements 10.6" x .031" x .12" (the numbers are given in reverse order on the site). I haven't ordered any of these yet, but I can't see the slight difference in size being a real problem (belts stretch with age and use anyway, so there's a built-in tolerance factor). The next smaller size has a 10.2" circumference, which might be too tight. They're only 85 cents, so you might want to order both sizes and see whether the smaller one works (if it does, it'll last longer because it should take longer to get stretched out of shape, I think).

BTW, there are two models of 1010. Mine is made in Hong Kong, FCC ID BPA7YJ1010, serial number 7YJEA-55. I'm not sure whether the two models will use the same belt, so before ordering, take a look inside and either measure your existing belt (if it's still in one piece) or wrap a piece of string around the 3 pulleys and make sure the distance is about 10 and a half inches.

I have another 1010 arriving in the next day or two, and possibly another one after that. When/if I get one to actually CLOAD or boot a tape, I'll say so here.

I also got some belts that should work on a 410, about to try them. Stay tuned...

Edited by Urchlay
  • Like 1

I've been able to get both my 410's to work. They use a belt with a square cross-section, unlike the 1010, and the old belts are deformed but haven't actually started decomposing like the 1010 belt did.

I tried two sizes, and the one that seems to work the best is 8.6" circumference x 0.47" cross-section. The other one I tried is 8.9" x 0.46", and it also works, but from my testing so far, the shorter one works slightly better. I've been able to successfully CLOAD and boot several tapes, though some of them don't work (they are 20+ year old tapes, pirate copies, and I can't tell whether some of them might just be bad).

With either of these belts, neither of the 410's can rewind a C-90 audio cassette all the way (they bog down towards the end), though fast-forwarding is fine. Most computer cassettes are a lot shorter (C-10 to C-30), and these rewind just fine.

Audio Lab part number is 73-08.6, ceitron.com part number is SM8.6.

ceitron.com also has an 8.8" x 0.47" size, in between the two, and an 8.9" x 0.47" (same cross-section as the 8.6" I have). I haven't ordered anything from them yet...

The 410 seems to have a nasty design flaw. The belt wraps around a very small pulley and a large one. If the drive isn't used for a long time, the belt develops a bend or kink where it's being pulled against the small pulley. Both my 410's have this problem (and one was literally new-in-box), and I expect that any 410 you find for sale anywhere is going to also suffer from it, unless it's been constantly in use since it was new (which is unlikely).

After you replace the belt, it's probably a good idea to run the drive for a few minutes every day or two, to keep the new belt from sitting in the same place long enough to get kinked. I'm currently trying to straighten out both the old belts by wrapping them around a drinking glass and leaving them for a few days, which may or may not work and may or may not stretch them too much to be usable, even if it removes the kink.

I also tried threading one of the old belts with the kink bent backwards, so it bends inward instead of out, and got one of the 410's to work partially that way (it could CSAVE, then CLOAD the same tape, but none of the other tapes would work). I suppose if I left it that way for long enough, the belt tension would eventually pull the kink out...

• Like 2

Hmm, I think my 1010 is the other version. :(

If you can find a local audio electronics supplier or repair shop, odds are pretty good that you can take the 1010 to them, open it up right there at the shop, and they'll be able to find a matching belt for you. Bring your own screwdriver :)

Seriously, that's what I did.

I just opened one of my 410's. I'm dismayed to see that there's actually three belts in there. The big main belt, which is on top thankfully, is quite lose. The small pulley spins when rewind or fast forward is depressed but the belt is getting no traction. This obviously explains why the capstans do not spin. I just hope that's the only one I have to replace since the other two, which are much smaller, are located deeper within the machine, requiring more disassembly which I really want to avoid. I always fear that if I take apart something complicated that I'll never get it back together properly again.

I just opened one of my 410's. I'm dismayed to see that there's actually three belts in there. The big main belt, which is on top thankfully, is quite lose. The small pulley spins when rewind or fast forward is depressed but the belt is getting no traction. This obviously explains why the capstans do not spin. I just hope that's the only one I have to replace since the other two, which are much smaller, are located deeper within the machine, requiring more disassembly which I really want to avoid. I always fear that if I take apart something complicated that I'll never get it back together properly again.

Hmm, I only saw two belts (drive + tape counter) inside my 410's when I looked before, so I cracked one open just now... you're right, 3 belts, one of which is tiny, and which I completely missed.

It looks like the tiny belt and the other hard-to-get-to belt are both part of the tape counter mechanism. I didn't try to disassemble either of my 410's enough to get to the larger tape-counter belt... I just replaced the main drive belt on both, and both are working now (though one still gets a lot of load errors, and the other still can't rewind). The tape counter only works on one of the units, though (the one that won't rewind). All the cassettes I have are one game/program per tape side, so I didn't consider the tape counter worth the hassle. It's possible that one of what I'm calling the tape-counter belts is also required for rewinding... but you can always "rewind" a tape by flipping it over and fast-forwarding it (both my 410's will fast-forward just fine).

I can't say 100% for sure that either unit is completely fixed, but both are working well enough to load commercially-made tapes, and maybe half the home-made tapes I've got (I have no idea how old they are, or how they were stored, so at least some of them might just be bad). Both units are also able to load tapes that were recorded (by me) on either unit, with new blank tapes.

If I can at least get those positive results then I'll be content. Of coarse I'd much prefer a perfectly functional device but with these machines getting upwards to 30 years in age I'll take what I can get.

Thanks for the research and links concerning the belts. I'll be placing an order with Action Electronics. I don't have very many tape programs for my A8 yet but that's always subject to change since I'm always on the lookout to acquire whatever I can for my cherished old systems. :)

• 2 years later...

Thank you for the belt research. Both my newly acquired 1010 and 410 have belt issues. The 1010 had reverted back goo and the 410 belt is loose.

One additional problem is the 410 will not move when pressing play. I know the belt is not the culprit because the motor does not start. Rewind and Forward 'work' because the motor spins and the spindles will turn/jerk and such (thus need for new belt). I think there is a loose connection for the play mechanism.

Thank you for the belt research. Both my newly acquired 1010 and 410 have belt issues. The 1010 had reverted back goo and the 410 belt is loose.

One additional problem is the 410 will not move when pressing play. I know the belt is not the culprit because the motor does not start. Rewind and Forward 'work' because the motor spins and the spindles will turn/jerk and such (thus need for new belt). I think there is a loose connection for the play mechanism.

I don't think any Atari tape units will run the motor when pressing play unless the computer sets the motor control signal over SIO. The computer acts as motor control so it can start and stop the tape if needed.

To test hook it up to a machine, press play, hold the start key and turn on the machine and press return. The motor should start.

(My apologies if this is what you've done already ;) )

I had not done that! Once again RTM would have helped! Thank you for adding the golden nugget. I was able to load the tape Introduction to Graphics! Kind of weird listening to a 25 year old programming tape! Awesome!

I don't think any Atari tape units will run the motor when pressing play unless the computer sets the motor control signal over SIO. The computer acts as motor control so it can start and stop the tape if needed.

To test hook it up to a machine, press play, hold the start key and turn on the machine and press return. The motor should start.

Wow, I had a 410 sitting in a closet, because I totally forgot it needed to be hooked up to run.

Now that I do have it running though, all my tapes give either "error 143" or error 138". Any advice?

I had not done that! Once again RTM would have helped! Thank you for adding the golden nugget. I was able to load the tape Introduction to Graphics! Kind of weird listening to a 25 year old programming tape! Awesome!

Wow, I had a 410 sitting in a closet, because I totally forgot it needed to be hooked up to run.

Now that I do have it running though, all my tapes give either "error 143" or error 138". Any advice?

Sorry for the late replay. Have you tried cleaning the heads? Also I found belts that are old but still look good can still be problematic. I had a 1010 with what appeared to look like a good belt but would error out on cload. I replaced it with my new belts and it worked like a champ. 50 cents is a paltry price to pay to travel back in time....