IGNORED

Atari 410 and 1010 belts

Urchlay

Okay, I found out why my play is not working. It's not a belt failure. I messed around with the 410 while it was disassembled. I've attached yet another image for easy explanation. The wheel circled is engaged between the pinch roller and the base of the spindle when play is pressed. However, mine is slipping. I can push it with my finger a little more towards the center of the deck and it works fine. I'm presuming the rubber wheel has shrunk with age or is too dry to produce sufficient friction to function properly.

I use a product by Rawn, called Re-Grip. Great stuff, been using it since 1987. It will not fix rubber that has turned to soft gel, but for belts / wheels that are not cracked it will make them grip like new. Found this link.

• 2 months later...

Okay, I found out why my play is not working. It's not a belt failure. I messed around with the 410 while it was disassembled. I've attached yet another image for easy explanation. The wheel circled is engaged between the pinch roller and the base of the spindle when play is pressed. However, mine is slipping. I can push it with my finger a little more towards the center of the deck and it works fine. I'm presuming the rubber wheel has shrunk with age or is too dry to produce sufficient friction to function properly.

I use a product by Rawn, called Re-Grip. Great stuff, been using it since 1987. It will not fix rubber that has turned to soft gel, but for belts / wheels that are not cracked it will make them grip like new. Found this link.

Great info in this thread thanks, I have two 410 I just acquired I need to resurrect

• 4 months later...

if anyone is interested in the UK, I am ordering some drive belts for the 1010, (silver window sticker), I will purchase additional belts for you if you want to share some postage

Just a thought

I am ordering 5 at least I think,

but postage to get them here is $10

certainlly the cheapest you can buy in this country seems to be $5/£3 ish

A little OT: Anybody ever find a source for the buttons on the 1010? I have one with a few broken buttons, mostly due to 'plastic rot' since 198x.. i think with new belts & buttons, this 1010 could work.

13matt: I have another 1010 on the way, that would probably require new belts. If you can put me down for two sets (and cheap 'envelope+stamp' shipping to .nl) i'm up for that ;)

Well the only code I have is for the silver/hong kong unit and I only am ordering the flat drive belt

incidentally, I have a dead orange window 1010 that I would be willing to part for as a spares breakup.

mechanically it seems to work, but I get no loading tones, or any audio at all from it actually

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed a 410 tape player I got off ebay using parts from 2 other ones.. 1st off when taking the head off be super carefull not to break the plastic l shaped lip thing...

you have to pull at a angle as not to break it at a angle to the pulling the head to the left and up but dont break the lip thing..

I was lucky the capstan drive pinch roller idler rubber was MINT no DENTS the play idler was toast rotten and had a huge dent cause NOONE PUSHED PLAY AND PAUSE !!!!!.. on youre

410 if it works push play and pause NOW NOW NOW make play on and make shure pause is engaged too this will disengage all idlers from being pushed on by the pins..

ok I replaced the play idler with a #45 diverter sink hose washer from hardware store bring in the old one and they will match it up perfectly DONT WORRY IF ITS

bigger thick wise as if you wedge a screwdriver wilst pushing it in the plastic holder you will see as you roll it with youre fingers in a circle on table to seat it you will realize how rotten the old one is it seems to big and to tight but its exactly how its subposed to be.. as far as the fast forward idler you are just out of luck UNLESS SOMEONE FROM THE FACTORY WAS smart enough to push play and pause from the factory this will have some dented damage but moslty will still work.... all you have to do to compensate is take the take up reel off using a snipers to wedge the red pin plastic pin off be carefull dont snip it off once its up a little use youre hand to just twist it to get it off then remove the take up reel

SNIP THE SPRING in half I MEAN up and down wise dont cut the circle just make the spring half as high this way it will rewind and fast forward easyer... then replace the main belt then the rewind belt and finnaly the counter belt there might be a nothe belt i cant remember but its IMPARETIVE you replace the #45 diverter play idler hose washer and the MAIN DRIVE BELT you have to use soldering iron to replace most belts and remember to scratch the pcb or use marker to mark witch color wires go where this helps when putting back to gether..

NOW I HAVE A MINT LOOKING WORKING 410 cassette player witch has play and pause pushed now.. I got spanish loaded...!!!! and loaded a 5 year old program I forgot I ever saved!.

I found A picture of my Atari 410 Program Recorder I Repaired to NEW..

Replaced Main Belt Replaced (need new one still Rewind Belt) Replaced counter Belt works..

Replaced PLAY IDLER rubber.. swapped out MECH bottom part broke platter Replaced w old one keeping NEW HEAD MECH AND ALL new plastic parts from NEW PLAYER and NEW PCB..

Fixed TAKE UP REEL snipped spring in half to make it rewind normally and fast forward normally..

Here are Pictures of it I will upload pictures of Parts SOON..

post-13028-0-92011700-1317712403_thumb.jpg

post-13028-0-32711100-1317712456_thumb.jpg

Edited by awace

No sense in creating a new topic since a lot of information is already here. I went to replace my belts in my Atari 410 and found there looks to be 4 belts, not 3. I've attached images for ease of description. The belts with the green arrows are what I've replaced. The one with the red arrow I did not. Currently the symptoms of the recorder are that it will not rewind very well and will not play. It fast forwards fine and the counter works. When I have the unit play, the pinch roller works but the spindle doesn't move causing the tape not to be wound into the cassette.

I ordered the replacement belts from Best Electronics, but it would seem that they do not have the 4th belt. I guess I'll try and determine how to get this belt out and take some measurements for a replacement.

you will also need a #6 diverter sink washer rubber hose washer for the little PLAY idler it comes off by removing the RED pin Also snip the spring in the take up reel in half so its half as high as it used to be and viola REWIND AND FAST FORWARD WORKS GREAT NOW!!! ...it seems as the rubber hose wahser seems to big but use small flat blade screw driver to push it in then run it along table rotating and spining it as you push the grommet into the ring once you SEAT it it will work as new and if you snip spring next to the felt in half so its not as high as it was half as high it will rewind and fast forward better than factory..

now push play and pause..

Replaced Main Belt Replaced (need new one still Rewind Belt) Replaced counter Belt works..

Replaced PLAY IDLER rubber.. swapped out MECH bottom part broke platter Replaced w old one keeping NEW HEAD MECH AND ALL new plastic parts from NEW PLAYER and NEW PCB..

Fixed TAKE UP REEL snipped spring in half to make it rewind normally and fast forward normally..

I fixed a 410 tape player I got off ebay using parts from 2 other ones.. 1st off when taking the head off be super carefull not to break the plastic l shaped lip thing...

you have to pull at a angle as not to break it at a angle to the pulling the head to the left and up but dont break the lip thing..

I was lucky the capstan drive pinch roller idler rubber was MINT no DENTS the play idler was toast rotten and had a huge dent cause NOONE PUSHED PLAY AND PAUSE !!!!!.. on youre

410 if it works push play and pause NOW NOW NOW make play on and make shure pause is engaged too this will disengage all idlers from being pushed on by the pins..

ok I replaced the play idler with a #45 diverter sink hose washer from hardware store bring in the old one and they will match it up perfectly DONT WORRY IF ITS

bigger thick wise as if you wedge a screwdriver wilst pushing it in the plastic holder you will see as you roll it with youre fingers in a circle on table to seat it you will realize how rotten the old one is it seems to big and to tight but its exactly how its subposed to be.. as far as the fast forward idler you are just out of luck UNLESS SOMEONE FROM THE FACTORY WAS smart enough to push play and pause from the factory this will have some dented damage but moslty will still work.... all you have to do to compensate is take the take up reel off using a snipers to wedge the red pin plastic pin off be carefull dont snip it off once its up a little use youre hand to just twist it to get it off then remove the take up reel

SNIP THE SPRING in half I MEAN up and down wise dont cut the circle just make the spring half as high this way it will rewind and fast forward easyer... then replace the main belt then the rewind belt and finnaly the counter belt there might be a nothe belt i cant remember but its IMPARETIVE you replace the #45 diverter play idler hose washer and the MAIN DRIVE BELT you have to use soldering iron to replace most belts and remember to scratch the pcb or use marker to mark witch color wires go where this helps when putting back to gether..

NOW I HAVE A MINT LOOKING WORKING 410 cassette player witch has play and pause pushed now.. I got spanish loaded...!!!! and loaded a 5 year old program I forgot I ever saved!.

found A picture of my Atari 410 Program Recorder I Repaired to NEW..

ok I replaced the play idler with a #6 diverter sink hose washer from hardware store bring in the old one and they will match it up perfectly DONT WORRY IF ITS

Here are some pictures of Mint Atari410.

post-13028-0-32192300-1317718773_thumb.jpg

post-13028-0-76269500-1317718866_thumb.jpg

No sense in creating a new topic since a lot of information is already here. I went to replace my belts in my Atari 410 and found there looks to be 4 belts, not 3. I've attached images for ease of description. The belts with the green arrows are what I've replaced. The one with the red arrow I did not. Currently the symptoms of the recorder are that it will not rewind very well and will not play. It fast forwards fine and the counter works. When I have the unit play, the pinch roller works but the spindle doesn't move causing the tape not to be wound into the cassette.

I ordered the replacement belts from Best Electronics, but it would seem that they do not have the 4th belt. I guess I'll try and determine how to get this belt out and take some measurements for a replacement.

you will also need a #6 diverter sink washer rubber hose washer for the little PLAY idler it comes off by removing the RED pin Also snip the spring in the take up reel in half so its half as high as it used to be and viola REWIND AND FAST FORWARD WORKS GREAT NOW!!! ...it seems as the rubber hose wahser seems to big but use small flat blade screw driver to push it in then run it along table rotating and spining it as you push the grommet into the ring once you SEAT it it will work as new and if you snip spring next to the felt in half so its not as high as it was half as high it will rewind and fast forward better than factory..

now push play and pause..

Thanks for the info. This project has been on the back burner. Maybe I'll get it up and going later this week!

I am pretty sure that new old-stock belts will still be good, as long as they are in plastic and possibly preserved in some sort of oil coating. It depends on what you get from B&C and Best, do the belts come unprotected, loose or in a cardboard box or anything but sealed plastic? And how have they been stored.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the PLAY idler to the hardware store and used it to measure a sink washer #6 diverter worked great you know those bins of sink parts.. they have..

then the spring on take up wheel is to big not to wide but to tall long wise snip it in half and replace it and it will rewind and fast forward like its subposed to !

• 4 weeks later...

I was examining how the mechanism of this Hong Kong version of the 410 mechanism operates, and thought other members might like to know what I believe I have found. This deals only with the mechanism, not the electronics

I agree with the awace's post about leaving it with both the Play and Pause buttons pushed but found his explanation hard to understand, and decided to provide a more detailed explanation of why this is a good idea.

I have used Witchboard's images from post #33, in which I have inserted labels on the controls/parts.

The Advance and Rewind idlers are both engaged without any buttons pushed.

Pushing the Advance button disengages the Rewind idler which takes tension off the rewind belt,.

Pushing the Rewind button disengages the Advance idler.

Pushing the Play button disengages both the Advance and Rewind idlers, extends the head/pinch roller assembly, and engages the Play/Record idler. The Play/Record idler must allow some slippage, as the tape speed is constant while the take-up reel must rotate slower as as tape builds up on the reel.

When the Pause button is pushed while the Play button is pushed the head/pinch roller assembly is partially retracted and the Play/Record idler disengaged, while still leaving the Advance and Rewind idlers disengaged.

This means that the only time that all 3 idlers are disengaged is when the Play button is pushed, then the Pause button is pushed. The takes pressure off the idler tyres so they won't develop flat spots, and also takes tension off the rewind belt which will prevent it from stretching. It will not help with the other 3 belts though, but they are easier to change.

This won't work on the early Japan model since it doesn't have a Pause button.

As to changing the rewind belt, I have not removed the tape mechanism from the top case of my 410, but from the picture it appears that if the stop which keeps the head/pinch roller assembly from retracting too far, just below the UK. marking, were removed that it would be possible to retract the assembly a little more then lift it up off the guides to access the Rewind idler pulley underneath.

Edit: I have removed the stop for the head/pinch roller assembly and was still unable to retract it far enough to clear the retainer pin in order to lift it up.

Bill

post-26063-0-94392100-1321778756_thumb.jpgpost-26063-0-73587600-1321778771_thumb.jpg

Edited by BillC

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Square-Belt-Small-24-Inch_p_218.html

still avalible and said long ago send old belt for mesurement even if broke.

also if you tape off the erase head and use old music tape you can mostly overwrite atari over MUSIC AND IT SEEMS TO WORK GOOD PROVIDED THE take up wheel spring is correct size snip of needed notg to much just enough to rewind..

and the play idler and pinch roller rubber are good it should record and load its own data.. I always start w An original Atari tape if i remove door to adjust head but like at work it seems easyer to just nudge it w screwdriver a little being very carefull listining to music to alighn the head witch wasnt the problem it was not taking up fastengh