IGNORED

Advertisements in classic games

What are some examples of classic video games that contained in-game advertisements? Pole Position and Tapper are the first two that come to mind (Marlboro, Pepsi, Budweiser)? Can anyone think of any others? Feel free to post screenshots - I'd love to see some more examples.

Matt Kain

Tapper for the 2600 advertises my personal beverage of choice during the bonus stage, MOUNTAIN DEW!!!!!

Tons of racing games from many consoles advertise all kinds of stuff on the billboards.

As for games that ARE advertisements, in addition to Yo! Noid and Cool Spot....theres M.C. Kids for the NES and that Ronald McDonald game for the Genesis.

As for games that ARE advertisements, in addition to Yo! Noid and Cool Spot....theres M.C. Kids for the NES and that Ronald McDonald game for the Genesis.

And those Chester Cheetah games too.

There's also an arcade version of Q*bert that featured Mello Yello (you can play it in MAME). No idea what the story behind that one is though.

The original TMNT had more than a couple ads for Pizza Hut, both in the arcade and on NES.

The coolest ads I ever saw were the playable ones for Gradius that were put into the intermissions of Blades of Steel

The first NES TMNT didn't have Pizza Hut ads and I don't remember if they are in the arcade or not. The arcade TMNT came out in the same year as the first NES/FC TMNT. I'm not sure which came first, but the port of the arcade is the second NES TMNT. The US NES version of the arcade game, released as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game, definitely has tons of Pizza Hut ads, but they don't seem to be in the JP FC version (released there as simply Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The previous one was called Gekikame Ninja Den there).

The JP Return of Mario Bros for the Famicom Disk System had some ads for some ramen product (or something along those lines) that played while the game is loading.

Atari was plugging its own arcade games in their arcade release of Namco's Pole Position.

The Atari ads were added for the US version, (edit) but the US Pole Position II added non-Atari ads like ones for 7-Eleven. http://qtchicks.hp.infoseek.co.jp/namco_pp.html

Edited by BrianC

It's technically in the game's code, but I don't know if it's ever actually seen while playing the game.

If you take a look at the rom for the original Wheel of Fortune on the NES though a graphics viewer, you will find a mangled Coca-Cola logo among the graphics:

post-616-1177881913_thumb.jpg

I don't think I've found any other game show games on the NES that have advertisements like this in them.

The Atari ads were added for the US version, but US arcade version also had other ads like ones for 7-Eleven. http://qtchicks.hp.infoseek.co.jp/namco_pp.html

Wow! Tang? Dentyne? I've never seen any of those before. Thanks for posting that.

M

Yeah, the 7-Eleven and Dentyne are actually Pole Position II. Darn Babelfish translated "Pole Position II" as "Pole Position U".

For those who are interested...

More from California Games:

CaliforniaGames.jpg

Mountain Dew Tapper:

tapper_5.jpg

tapper3.jpg

Budweiser Tapper:

tapper.jpg

What exactly was Mello-Yellow Q-bert? Were there ads integrated into the gameplay or did an ad appear on the title screen? Does anyone have a screenshot? Does anyone have any screens of the Pizza Hut ads from TMNT? I vaguely remember this...

MK

I think Biker Mice From Mars for the SNES had ads for Snickers candy bars.

If games that are just ads count, I know of 3 games that were released in Japan that are like that:

Coca-Cola Kid (Sega Game Gear)

UFO Kamen Yakisoban (Super Famicom), a game made by a company to promote its brand of instant noodles.

Wonder Kitchen(Super Famicom), a game made by a company to promote its brand of mayonnaise.