IGNORED

Mega Man 2600

Jess Ragan

I'm pretty sure it's David Galloway's work. :)

You are correct sir. :)

- David G.

You did an amazing job on this! :)

I have a question for you: From the work you've done with this demo, how much ROM space do you think a full game (three Robot Masters + 1 Wily level) would require?

EDIT: Another question: How would you implement horizontal scrolling?

Edited by Pixelboy

You did an amazing job on this! :)

I have a question for you: From the work you've done with this demo, how much ROM space do you think a full game (three Robot Masters + 1 Wily level) would require?

EDIT: Another question: How would you implement horizontal scrolling?

Thanks for the praise.

For reference, the original Mega Man on NES was 128K. This playable demo, unoptimized for size, barely fits in 16K. It is a few Elec Man level screens and the boss fight plus the art for Mega Man, Elec Man and the backgrounds. The simpler, smaller art of the 2600 gives it an edge in ROM size but you also might use multiple display kernels which take away some space. I'd expect to be able to fit the whole game, as you describe, comfortably in a 64K cart and it might be possible on a 32K cart. It would also depend on how many extras were included, like the end sequence, how big the levels were and the variety of enemies.

Horizontal scrolling would come in two flavors, 1) for the bulk of the game needing horizontal scrolling, it would be like the vertical scrolling you see in the game now; except perhaps the action would continue as the scrolling happend. 2) For special sections I would have fast scrolling with jumping and enemies and this would play very much like Splatform or the Jump game posted a few years ago, except you would have Mega Man controls and shooting at enemies. I think it would be quite fun and challenging.