IGNORED

Paypal warning to all...

Curt Vendel

After reading PP fine print, I realized they (and ergo eBay) are full of sh*t.

Next time, I call my Credit Card company direct and dispute the charge that way and PP can go f*ck themselves!

Yeah, except when you do that, you'll lose your PP account altogether since PP specificly forbids in their TOS you going directly to your CC or Bank to dispute charges, you MUST go through them and only them. :|

I filed a CC dispute over a paypal purchase just recently (item never sent) and I ignored PayPal all together. My credit union was happy to help me. WAY easier than dealing with PayPal's dispute resolution bullsh*t. I just called up my credit union, told them I bought something thru paypal and it never showed up. They were happy to stick it to paypal for me.

Paypal has never said boo to me, and my account is still active, no problems.

Edited by JustJeff2

• 1 month later...

Your suggestion about the second bank account is spot on, I use that already. The other way to be sure not to get ripped is to just use a major credit card when making purchases. I had some issues with paypal over some FTA satellite gear I bought on Ebay (seller misrepresented his location, I paid extra for a closer seller and expedited shipping only to find out he lived 2000 miles further away and didn't ship until a week after receiving payment). Called them up and they gave me the run around about their stupid dispute policy. Called my credit card and had the funds back in my account within the hour. Some individual sellers don't like CC paypal because of the fees, but i'd rather cover the fees for them and have the added protection. And if you buy crap online like I do, you also have the added benefits of reward points if your CC offers that, which add up.

EDIT: And their TOS may talk about deactivating the account but mine is still active, I never had any issues or so much as a nastygram from paypal about it. I suspect they just got the money back from the seller, who probably had it sitting around in his paypal account or transferred it into the same bank account that paypal had access to. Either way not my problem.

Edited by nanobug

After reading PP fine print, I realized they (and ergo eBay) are full of sh*t.

Next time, I call my Credit Card company direct and dispute the charge that way and PP can go f*ck themselves!

Yeah, except when you do that, you'll lose your PP account altogether since PP specificly forbids in their TOS you going directly to your CC or Bank to dispute charges, you MUST go through them and only them. :|

I filed a CC dispute over a paypal purchase just recently (item never sent) and I ignored PayPal all together. My credit union was happy to help me. WAY easier than dealing with PayPal's dispute resolution bullsh*t. I just called up my credit union, told them I bought something thru paypal and it never showed up. They were happy to stick it to paypal for me.

Paypal has never said boo to me, and my account is still active, no problems.

This is what I do, screw paypal. If something hasn't showed up, I don't need paypal to tell me that it did or not. The bank allows chargebacks to paypal all of the time, at least my bank of america. Apparently, many people have filed with the BBB over paypal's crooked terms. So just go to the bank, they dont even question it as much as they would if it was any other type of purchase. Just sign a form saying you didn't get the service/product you were suppose to receive.

• 5 weeks later...

I just want to add this warning as it regularly happens to me at my Hotmail account. Beware of phishing email that appear to be from Pay Pal. Some even I admit look quite legit, but as I forward them to Pay Pal they assure me that they are 100% FAKE. Pay Pal wants all suspicious emails sent to spoof@paypal.com

I just wanted to make things very clear I am not a Pay Pal member under any email address

Edited by Classic Pac

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is it any suprise from what Ive heard that PayPal is owned by eBay? Someting screwy is going on here.

I had to explain that to my wife tonight when she had a problem with an eBay auction. "Well, I filed a dispute with PayPal..." uhh hon, PayPal IS eBay. They're not going to necessarily be on your side. I told her you should always always ALWAYS try to work out a dispute with the seller first by e-mail before you ever go through them and have to "escalate" things (what an awful word that is).

• 6 months later...

I was just wondering for those of you that buy things from people online all the time with paypal; does paypal offer protection if you buy off of a random person? Or is it only if you buy on Ebay or the like? I am going to buy some DVDs off of a person online (not here, or I wouldn't be worried at all because everyone is so honest) and I was wondering if he screws me, will paypal still get me my money back even though I just sent him funds for "goods" or whatever you call it when you send money? Any help would be appreciated.

Like many others, I've used PayPal for years and still have my checking account linked to it. I know eventuly something will happen, but PayPal is not the only people who have my banking information -- Amazon, the company I worked for, and my student loan people all do as well. (the last for monthly payments to get a lower intrest rate).

What's going on with Google Checkout these days? Are they still a option?

BTW, I don't sell on EBay that much, but when I do (and the last time was two months ago) I include in the auction text:

"Prefer payment by PayPal but will accept a USPS Money order or a personal check after clearing period of 7-10 days."

EBay has NEVER given me a issue with that, and some people have paid through MO's.

• Like 1

Yes, I have used Google Checkout with success. I actually like it better than PayPal. Limited to USA and UK only I believe... but it's been a few months since I last looked.

Sold something on Chuckwagon with Google Checkout (side bar-- boy, CtCW/GameGavel has become a let down for 2600 eh?). Also have bought a few things from online sellers directly using Google Checkout with zero problems...

Like many others, I've used PayPal for years and still have my checking account linked to it. I know eventuly something will happen, but PayPal is not the only people who have my banking information -- Amazon, the company I worked for, and my student loan people all do as well. (the last for monthly payments to get a lower intrest rate).

BTW, I don't sell on EBay that much, but when I do (and the last time was two months ago) I include in the auction text:

"Prefer payment by PayPal but will accept a USPS Money order or a personal check after clearing period of 7-10 days."

EBay has NEVER given me a issue with that, and some people have paid through MO's.

Really?!?!I was told by email and on the site itself, a year ago, EBAY will no longer let folks pay with a money order,an EBAY rule.Can a seller still accept an M.O. if the buyer asks?I no longer see M.O. as a payment method anywhere at EBAY.

Edited by Rik

Since you asked, I went to the EBay site to get my facts straight. :)

You can set up your account to include the following options:

Offer PayPal in all listings: Yes/No

PayPal Preferred: On/Off

In addition, when you list a auction, under the 'Describe how you'd like to be paid' part is the following:

Electronic payment methods ( fee varies )

PayPal

Accept credit or debit card and bank payments safely and easily with PayPal.

Other payment methods

Money order / Cashier's check

Personal check

So as you can see, you are still allowed to request payment through other means. It's just the default now is PayPal.

Since you asked, I went to the EBay site to get my facts straight. :)

You can set up your account to include the following options:

Offer PayPal in all listings: Yes/No

PayPal Preferred: On/Off

In addition, when you list a auction, under the 'Describe how you'd like to be paid' part is the following:

Electronic payment methods ( fee varies )

PayPal

Accept credit or debit card and bank payments safely and easily with PayPal.

Other payment methods

Money order / Cashier's check

Personal check

So as you can see, you are still allowed to request payment through other means. It's just the default now is PayPal.

Hmm,yeah,i saw that"money orders no longer accepted a year ago i should have added.They must of changed that no Money Order rule,too many complaints perhaps?,because i vividly remember sending an E-mail to EBAY asking them about it and they said that Money Orders are no longer accepted at EBAY,no exceptions,a rule that will apply to all.Well, glad to see you still can send M.O.'S...stupid rule,not everyone appreciates PayPal shoved in their faces.

Edited by Rik

I think the bigger scam is they won't let google checkout be used on ebay. It's not one of their "Safe" alternatives for payment. yeah right lol. bidpay used to fly on ebay. Ebay doesn't offer an alternative paypal type service, but if you dig deeper you find that that service either has an agreement with ebay or ebay owns part/all of said alternative. Really, don't see how ebay doesn't get hit with a monopoly, collusion, or some type of law suit.

Yes, I have used Google Checkout with success. I actually like it better than PayPal. Limited to USA and UK only I believe... but it's been a few months since I last looked.

Sold something on Chuckwagon with Google Checkout (side bar-- boy, CtCW/GameGavel has become a let down for 2600 eh?). Also have bought a few things from online sellers directly using Google Checkout with zero problems...

Let down?

Let down?

yeah, pretty much...

• 2 weeks later...

Let down?

yeah, pretty much...

Mainly because many of you just aren't listing anymore. Many are selling things just fine. And most of you guys got in early with the free seller accounts so not sure why the resentment here. I am doing all I can for you guys and to get feed back like this is pretty discouraging. GameGavel has grown to over 60,000 unique visitors/month and will always be around for those of you that want to use it.

Edited by Parrothead

GameGavel has grown to over 60,000 unique visitors/month and will always be around for those of you that want to use it.

Visitors don't mean buyers. I think that is what alot of folks are trying to beat around the bush about. Mind you pretty much everything I've ever listed on CTCW aside from maybe 2 or 3 things has sold but what I sell is usually very unique and\or popular.

GameGavel has grown to over 60,000 unique visitors/month and will always be around for those of you that want to use it.

Visitors don't mean buyers. I think that is what alot of folks are trying to beat around the bush about.

True. But buyers come from visitors. The more visitors the more buyers. And I am doing all I can to continue bringing more visitors/buyers to the site for our sellers. It doesn't happen over night. In two years we have grown at a pretty decent clip and are continuing to grow.

The Atari games used to be one of our most populated categories now it's dwindling down to nothing. Seems to be a trend on Ebay, though as well so maybe Atari collectors are just getting older and not buying/selling as much?

Edited by Parrothead